Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Interview with Publisher (some questions)

Options
  • 24-12-2010 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all,

I have an upcoming interview with an Irish publishing company in the new year. I submitted the manuscript a few months ago and the publisher contacted me recently looking for me to attend an interview stating they were "definitely interested" in it. I was just wondering if anyone would have any tips or information that might help me prepare for the interview (what questions would they ask of me etc. etc.). I've never attended anything like this before so any help or advice would be welcome.

Thanks for help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Congratulatons. That's very encouraging.

If they have already seen a full MS, then I imagine most of the questions will be about money. How much are you looking for, how little are you prepared to take, and how much of an asset are you likely to be in promoting the book. They may also ask about how soon can you produce a second book.

Most Irish publishers are pretty unflexible on advance and rates of royalties, but it's worth negotiating on things like the publicity budget, and whether you get paid on the full list price of the book or the gross price (if it's part of a 3 for 2 offer, or is reduced, this can reduce your royalties). Also make a point of getting back your rights as soon as possible. If the book goes out of print quickly, you want to be able to rewrite and resell without waiting for years.

Make a point of showing willing to do book signings and readings, and mention any and all web presence. If you have anything unique that will publishers can use as a selling point, mention it. Being young and photogenic is best, but being funny and outgoing helps a lot.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

That's great news!

What Eileen said. A publisher will be selling you as much as the book, and will be wondering if they can work with you - whether you can take editing etc.

If it's a non-fiction book they may want to discuss the work further before committing.

Congrats - an excellent Christmas present. :)

Advertisement