Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advice on getting 2nd dog.

Options
  • 24-12-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    My wife and I currently have 1 dog, who is quite lively and full of energy.
    he's a rescue dog. we have him about3 years, he's about 4, gets plenty of attention and walks.

I work full time, my wife works part time so he's alone 3days a week.
    while we're at home, the dog is in with us and the cats, all get on fine.

would getting a new dog ruin the dynamic?
    I would like to get him a companion so he wont be alone for the 3days
    would also like to be able give a home to an unwanted dog.

all advice welcome

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

I don't see how getting a new dog would be a problem! You might have a few teething problems when introducing another dog but he/she should settle in fine once you know how to handle the situation.

Since you've already got a rescue dog before you'll already have experience of settling in a new dog, so the only differences for you this time is that you'll have to introduce the new dog to the original.

Sometimes when you introduce a new dog to the house (esecially if it's an adult) the two will fight a bit, but usually this is temporary, and once they sort out where they both are in the 'pecking order' there should be no problems. Just supervise them when you introduce them at first, and make sure you feed them separately & provide 2 water bowls, as food/water is a common thing for dogs to get possessive about.

If you could arrange it, it might be best to bring him home on a day where you or your wife will be off for a few days in a row, so ye can make sure he's settled in before his first day without the 2 of you.

You might also want to ask the rescue if they have any idea if the dog gets on with cats, they may or may not know but it would be good to have an idea, especially if it's an adult dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

P.S. if it's any comfort, we were worried about introducing a 2nd dog to our house, as our 1st dog was quite old & was the only dog in the house for years. We really thought she'd resent having another dog on her 'patch'. So with great apprehension we introduced the 2nd, much younger dog to her, and to our surprise, they got on like a house on fire! The two of them wear each other out every day playing... so it worked out well for us at least! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ginwmot

I have found in the past that it's a good idea to introduce the two dogs first on neutral ground. If you have a place close to home where you can bring your existing dog for a walk and have someone waiting there with the new dog. Introduce the two of them and give them time to get to know each other before walking the two of them home together.Try not to give any preferential treatment to the new recruit, what one gets so does the other.Keep an eye on them for a little while but you should find that they will settle down and get on fine after a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

thanks for all the comments and opinions guys, really appreciated.

we would definitely let our dog and the new dog meet in a neutral place.

our dog loves to meet other dogs on walks and loves to mess with passing by dogs on the street through the railings,
    we also bring him to visit the in-law's who have 3dogs and he gets on well with them on their turf (he loves visiting other dogs - we call it super happy fun time on account of how excited he gets ;))

the one small thing that is niggling me is that - he thinks he is our baby, and is quite clingy to me when no other dogs are about.
    if I rub the cats, he will calmly walk over and gently put his head in the way for a rub, seems a little jealous, but no aggression is displayed.

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

You post reads exactly as I would have written back in August. I have a rescue dog - very active as well - for two years and felt that she could do with a companion for when we were at work. After alot of talking here and deciding what was best to do we decided to give it a try. So, I took my first dog with me to the rescue centre and introduced her to a number of dogs and she kept going back to this particular one - it was like she was choosing him! So he came home with us that day and, although there were a couple of teething problems as expected, they are now inseperable and totally love each other!
    I don't feel bad leaving them when I go to work as they have each other and they enjoy their walks more together and can get up to alot more mischief as a pair!
    My advice to you is to go for it - and consider letting your dog pick her own companion. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
    PS - well done on giving a rescue dog a new forever home!

• Advertisement

I will definitely keep you guys posted, it will probably be a few weeks before we have put the the plan into action.

thanks again all

my dog will be meeting his potential 'new buddy' in an hours time.
    fingers crossed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭beanie.

thanks for all the comments and opinions guys, really appreciated.

we would definitely let our dog and the new dog meet in a neutral place.

our dog loves to meet other dogs on walks and loves to mess with passing by dogs on the street through the railings,
    we also bring him to visit the in-law's who have 3dogs and he gets on well with them on their turf (he loves visiting other dogs - we call it super happy fun time on account of how excited he gets ;))
    Doing the introductions on neutral ground is best, sounds like your dog is going to be delighted to have a new flatmate. It's actually twice as easy to keep 2 dogs as it is to keep one, they'll exercise eachother and keep eachother company.
    the one small thing that is niggling me is that - he thinks he is our baby, and is quite clingy to me when no other dogs are about.
    if I rub the cats, he will calmly walk over and gently put his head in the way for a rub, seems a little jealous, but no aggression is displayed.
    Make sure you give your existing dog slightly more attention than new dog at the start, but don't pander to any sillyness. If they have a few squabbles, ignore them completely (assuming they're not physically harming eachother) as they will need to establish the pecking order, by ignore, I mean glance out the side of your eye, try not to even look at them. If they feel they're getting attention they might make a habit out of it.
    And well done on giving a stray a home, good luck on the adventure, looking forward to pics.

my dog will be meeting his potential 'new buddy' in an hours time.
    fingers crossed.....

How's it going? I really hope it all works out well for all concerned!:)

Shazanne wrote: »
    How's it going? I really hope it all works out well for all concerned!:)

well so far so good.

the walk went well, they had a good run about together and plenty of jumping & messing........ and loads of bum sniffing.

then we went on to our garden - the paying continued, then some mess fighting, but nothing too out of hand.

they calmed down and drank from the same water dish.

fed them at about 10 o'clock, two separate dishes at opposite sides of them kitchen, both tucked in & finished eating at roughly the same time.

while in the house the new dog is pacing up and down which is
    understandable since its all new her.

our other dog seems a little quieter - so I hope it doesn't put him too out of sorts

but seems like a good start!

• Advertisement

Sadly things didn't work out, the new dog started to show a lot of aggression, snaping and tried bite a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

That's such a pity. :(

I'm sorry to hear that:( But at least you tried. Did you have to take the second dog back to the rescue centre?
    Do you plan on trying again? I know you will probably be apprehensive but it can work out.

Shazanne wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that:( But at least you tried. Did you have to take the second dog back to the rescue centre?
    Do you plan on trying again? I know you will probably be apprehensive but it can work out.

yes Unfortunately the dog had to be returned.
    we will try again - but we will wait a month or so.

so Ill keep you guys posted when It happens

Thanks for all the comments

Scottie

Best of luck to you and take your time:)
    Look forward to hearing from you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi

some dogs like to be the 'only dog' if he/she is not one of those then i would highly recommend it. i think the trick is to have a male and female and of different temperament. i have a terrier (high energy) and a spaniel cross (chilled) they get on brilliantly. when you go to a rescue bring your dog and you will see how they gel. it is also great to see how they interact with each other. good luck

Advertisement