Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redwing

Options
  • 24-12-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

I see this winter favourite has been reinforced in huge numbers by it's overwintering brethren.

I have had good numbers of them in the garden of late, and this morning I was greeted with the sight of literally dozens and dozens of them in the front and side gardens. I have two rowan trees and a number of berry bearing bushes which were overloaded with redwing.

One of the thicker bushes is proving very popular at night with a good number of redwing making their way into it to spend the night.

I tried to count what was on the ground but kept losing track of their numbers at around the 30 mark due to movement.

Have a very high number of thrush this year also, but they seem to be mostly sticking to the back garden where there are regular chases involving the blackbirds. Apples are proving especially popular with the thrush this year.:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I've had 2 dropping in occasionaly, but yesterday they increased to 6. It looks like a big influx on the way! I'm running out of apples already and I thought I had enough for the holidays.

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=8265

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

I've had 2 dropping in occasionaly, but yesterday they increased to 6. It looks like a big influx on the way! I'm running out of apples already and I thought I had enough for the holidays.

]
    Do you put apples on a bird tables or just on the ground, which would be better to attract them? What type of apples to you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Do you put apples on a bird tables or just on the ground, which would be better to attract them? What type of apples to you use?

I scatter them on the ground, cut in half. Fieldfares, starlings and song thrushes will eat them too. I use red apples, sweet rather than bitter. The birds seem to prefer them, maybe because they are higher in energy? You can get a bag of 10 apples in Lidl for about €1.60.

(If you stick a few apple halves on branches in your hedge you might get Blackcaps too)

I just drove along the coast road between Clontarf and Sutton and counted over 200 Redwings feeding along the roadside where the hedges had sheltered ground under them. It looks like there has been a huge wave of arrivals.

Advertisement