Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spirit Radio

Options
  • 24-12-2010 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭

I nicked this from somewhere else;

BAI SIGNS CONTRACT WITH SPIRIT RADIO LIMITED 23rd December 2010
    The BAI signed an eighteen month sound broadcasting contract with Spirit Radio Limited (trading as Spirit Radio) for the provision of a quasi-national Christian and religious sound broadcasting service on the AM band with low-power FM transmitter stations.

The initial contract will allow the station broadcast to the cities of Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford on FM for a period of 18 months on the understanding that the station will have a quasinational AM transmission network in place by June 2012 . At that time, the Authority will consider extending the contract.

Spirit Radio aims to broadcast a Christian and religious radio service that will appeal to a broad spectrum of the Irish population. The schedule will consist of a range of Christian and mainstream music complemented by news, current affairs and special interest speech programming. Speaking at the contract signing BAI Chairman Bob Collins said: “Congratulations to Spirit Radio on the signing of their contract. This service will add to the mix and diversity of radio services available to audiences in the major centres of population in Ireland.”

The service will commence broadcasting under this contract on Thursday 27th January 2011.

Now, I'm a betting person but i wouldn't put money on them having a "quasinational AM transmission network in place by June 2012".
    But i would bet come June 2012 that Spirit, if they're still operational, will continue to be on FM. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

Confirmed frequencies: Dublin 89.9, Limerick 89.8, Waterford 90.1, Cork 90.9 and Galway 91.7 FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

More utter nonsense on the air ways so, yay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

TRSJ wrote: »
    Confirmed frequencies: Dublin 89.9, Limerick 89.8, Waterford 90.1, Cork 90.9 and Galway 91.7 FM

No sign of them in Cork on 90.9 but there is some confusion as 88.7 was announced as being the Cork frequency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,783 ✭✭✭squonk

Heard their test broadcast the other day. They were playing Declan O'Rourke. That I could listen to. Religious drivel, definitely not. I'm tempted to think a lot of people might think the same way. Hope they're not aiming for a huge listenership to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Looks like it will be 90.9 in Cork afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Big Tone wrote: »
    Looks like it will be 90.9 in Cork afterall.

Someone better tell Caroline Cork so ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Had a listen to the test transmissions today.

Some decent stuff like "Whenever God Shines His Light / Van the Man" (understandable) to "Love Story / Taylor Swift" (no idea what that has to do with anything) with some unimaginable drivel in between.

Based on the above I have absolutely no idea who this station is aimed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Had a listen to the test transmissions today.

Some decent stuff like "Whenever God Shines His Light / Van the Man" (understandable) to "Love Story / Taylor Swift" (no idea what that has to do with anything) with some unimaginable drivel in between.

Based on the above I have absolutely no idea who this station is aimed at.
    Does music on a Christian station have to contain "God" in it's title to be accepted? :confused:
    I'm sure Christians like to listen to all types of music. It's a bit premature to judge the station on the test transmissions and with a preconceived stereotypical attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Anyone listen? Sunday Times had a piece on Spirits claimed 10% listenership. They claim they can't afford to pay to be included in the regular JNLR survey.
    Overall, 11% of people in Dublin over the age of 15 listen to Spirit Radio weekly.

19% of females 25-44 years old – 16% of the housewife demographic – 23% of all 35-44 year olds listeners tune in weekly.
    http://www.spiritradio.ie/998/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I don't think that even a poll conducted on behalf of spirit outside 10 O Clock Mass on Sunday could produce such figures :)

I am sure that even TRSJ might admit that those figures are a little peculiar.

Come on!

JNLRs............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

STB wrote: »
    I am sure that even TRSJ might admit that those figures are a little peculiar.

Come on!

JNLRs............

The same TRSJ who made some incredulous claim about Christmas FM's listening figures......;)

Anyway, it looks that I may be about to lose my (non existent) bet regarding Spirit coming onto MW by this June as it has been stated elsewhere that 549 Khz will commence June 30th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    The same TRSJ who made some incredulous claim about Christmas FM's listening figures......;)

Anyway, it looks that I may be about to lose my (non existent) bet regarding Spirit coming onto MW by this June as it has been stated elsewhere that 549 Khz will commence June 30th.

Harris rig that will push 25Kw from Emyvale reduced to 10kw at the start.

TRSJ incredulous claims ? nah it would not be like him at all. But I guarantee he uses an analogy to defend the figures if he find this thread....

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

Remember those "fake" listenership figures they released, what rubbish

Advertisement