Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think this is ok?

Options
  • 24-12-2010 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I'm thinking of getting a young dog, and I am currently at college. Basically I live at a good distance from my college and have considered the walk to and between (which could take 45 minutes back and forth) my college as a good way of letting the dog get out every day. I would also be coming back and forth during the day, so that could be an extra 30-45 minutes.

So, the dog would get plenty of exercise.

However, I am afraid that at times I would have to tie the dog up for an hour or two when I am at lectures.

Do you think this is ok, or fair on the dog?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

To be honest, its not fair on the dog at all. Not to mention dangerous. Someone could easily untie and steal the dog, untie the dog and let him loose, or the dog could work himself loose and end up out on the road in front of a car. Or if anything happened where he hurt someone, accidentally or otherwise or caused damage to property, then you would be liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

I agree with everything Shanao said! Please don't get a dog right now, I'm in a similar position and want a dog but I would feel horrible leaving her/him tied up or locked in for extended periods of time. It's not fair on the dog and it wouldn't be fair on yourself either, you'd probably feel guilty and spend a lot of time worrying about the dog! Maybe volunteer at a local shelter until you can get your own dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

for all of the reasons mentioned above, mainly the dogs safety, I don't think now is a good time OP.
    plus, he/she would be incredibly bored/frustrated if tied up and so restrained for 2hours

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

Agree about the safety aspect. The other difficult thing is, that you probably will have no idea what may happen to you after college/where you will end up working/in what circumstances etc. I know it can be really tempting if you've wanted one for ages, but even if you are able to keep a dog for the next year or 2, you have to think forward - WAY forward - can you guarantee that you will always be able to keep that dog for the next 12 - 15 years?

I know when I was in college I really wanted one, but then I realised that I couldn't guarantee I'd even be in the country in 2 years time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Arts student

Yeah you make very good points here, and in fact I was thinking that myself. I really love animals and hate the thought of been uncareful with one.

Alternatively I was actually thinking of getting a few kittens, let's say about four or five. Just a few questions

(a) Do you think it would be ok to keep them indoors in a travelling baby cot with food / water and newspaper below them for when nature calls.

(b) Also is it safe from to get kittens from let's say tree different locations......would they get along together - or are they too young to get into any fights. Food or water would definately not be a problem, or a potential fighting source as I would make sure to leave plenty of food and water for them. But do you think it would be ok anyway.

(c) Do you think it is ok to confine kittens to a cot.

(d) and, at what age would they be able to hop over such a cot.

Please keep in mind i'm renting and i'm afraid of leaving kittens outdoors with the weather. The house is nice and warm and secure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I'm thinking of getting a young dog,
    Alternatively I was actually thinking of getting a few kittens,

Tbh, I think a goldfish would suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Do you think you would be able to concentrate in your lectures with your poor little dog tied up outside? I know whenever I tie my dog up outside a shop I am constanly going to the door to check they are alright, bad bad idea. Cats are much better if you can get an older cat that is happy to spend time on its own with toys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yeah you make very good points here, and in fact I was thinking that myself. I really love animals and hate the thought of been uncareful with one.

Alternatively I was actually thinking of getting a few kittens, let's say about four or five. Just a few questions

(a) Do you think it would be ok to keep them indoors in a travelling baby cot with food / water and newspaper below them for when nature calls.

(b) Also is it safe from to get kittens from let's say tree different locations......would they get along together - or are they too young to get into any fights. Food or water would definately not be a problem, or a potential fighting source as I would make sure to leave plenty of food and water for them. But do you think it would be ok anyway.

(c) Do you think it is ok to confine kittens to a cot.

(d) and, at what age would they be able to hop over such a cot.

Please keep in mind i'm renting and i'm afraid of leaving kittens outdoors with the weather. The house is nice and warm and secure.

Five kittens.

Vaccinations x 3 x 5 at maybe E30 per vaccination
    Desexing x E80 I think, x 5 by six months of age
    Worming every month up to six months x 5 so let's say you get them at eight weeks, that's E5 x 5 x 4 in the first six months

Initial outlay, even if you get the kittens for free, is therefore 950 Euro on vet costs in the first six months.

That doesn't include dry food, wet food, litter trays, litter, food dishes, water bowl, toys, more toys, scratching posts, kitten beds.

Have you got that money?

Also, no, it's not okay to confine kittens to a cot.

Edit to add, in answer to the question of how old they would be before they could escape from the cot: about eight weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

F1ngers wrote: »
    Tbh, I think a goldfish would suit you better.

I was thinking more along the lines of a tamagotchi! :rolleyes:

OP definitely NO for the dog - maybe one or two cats but four is too much! What happens if your landlord decides they don't want pets in the place - what will you do with them?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm thinking of getting a young dog, and I am currently at college. Basically I live at a good distance from my college and have considered the walk to and between (which could take 45 minutes back and forth) my college as a good way of letting the dog get out every day. I would also be coming back and forth during the day, so that could be an extra 30-45 minutes.

However, I am afraid that at times I would have to tie the dog up for an hour or two when I am at lectures.Do you think this is ok, or fair on the dog?

This part is a joke, right??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Definitely no to the dog. You cant really expect a dog to sit patiently for 2 hours outside now can you?If i saw a dog tied up for 2hrs id think it was abandoned tbh.

4-5 kittens grow up to be 4-5 big cats that certainly wont stay "in a cot". :rolleyes: As previously mentioned, you've got a huge vet bill ahead of you if you do that. Getting kittens from different sources before theyre vaccinated isnt a good idea either. Renting with 1 or 2 cats would be ok, but not that many. Please wait until you're more prepared and informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

tk123 wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of a tamagotchi! :rolleyes:

OP definitely NO for the dog - maybe one or two cats but four is too much! What happens if your landlord decides they don't want pets in the place - what will you do with them?!

A pet rock might be the best option of all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

OP I really would say that you shouldn't get kittens or a puppy while in college. You don't know where you'll end up after you finish your course, you could have very long hours, commutes, you could have to rent somewhere that doesn't allow pets, and in each scenario your pet would be starved of attention at the very least.

Also with regards to kittens, I would give 8 week old kittens about 10 minutes before they realise they could claw their way up the mesh of a travel cot and out over it, and it would be unfair to be trying to keep up to 5 kittens in a space that small and expect them to do their business there too, cats are very clean animals and wouldn't like that.

And you can't tie a dog up outside college, imagine doing that in another winter like this?

Like I and others have said, now probably isn't the best time for you to be thinking of getting a pet, for financial and lifestyle reasons, it'd be too unfair. Wait a few years until you're ready to give them a stable home.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Op,

Why don't you volunteer at a rescue centre?

That way you may get to foster litters of kittens or pups without the long term commitment / bills full time pets bring.

Or you could offer dog walking services to locals that are elderly / work full time and have a dog (you might even earn from it!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Edit to add, in answer to the question of how old they would be before they could escape from the cot: about eight weeks.
    :eek: at 8 weeks my two were climbing up the curtains, balancing on the curtain rail and trying to bat each other off. Looser would fall halfway down the curtain, grab hold and climb back up to fight again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Look I know some folks get very passionate on this forum and that can be good...

But if the OP has no knowledge about animals and is being genuine in asking then it's best to advise them nicely and no need be mean about it.
    Otherwise they could go off and adopt a whole pile of animals in spite! :eek: :pac:
    Yes most folks know the obvious answers to alot of the OPs questions but plenty don't. So why not educate folks nicely! Might help the cause a bit more ;)

There plenty good advise here in some of the posts OP. Not sure on your age but no matter what you are in college and taking charge of a pet that will be in your life for 15 or even longer years aint really a good idea.

You may want to go tavelling or get offered a job in Europe somewhere or not be able to find accomodation that allows pets. Who knows.

If you adopt a pet(s) ya gotta think like this:
    • If you move abroad for a year or two are you going to take the pet with you, have them quarintined/go through the paperwork etc etc
    • Can you afford to pay the food bills and vets bills (worming/neutering/if they randomly get sick)
    • Do you have the time to spend with the pet
    • Do you have the time to exercise the pet
    Think your best option is definitely volunteer your spare time at a nearby shelter or dog pound or something like that so you can get experience and see what pet you may what in the future when you that bit more settled :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

However, I am afraid that at times I would have to tie the dog up for an hour or two when I am at lectures.

Do you think this is ok, or fair on the dog?

That anyone could even ask this..

Saw a dog tied up outside LIDL a while back and kept an eye on it; and another one tied into a basket on a bicycle in the same place. The wonder is that they were not stolen.

Advertisement