Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guard fine problem

Options
  • 23-12-2010 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

I was fined two months ago. Two seperate fines on the one occassion.

I tried to pay the fine first with two bank drafts but this got send back to me so I tried to pay the fine again with the same method just with the extra amount that was now required. This was also sent back to me..

Now the two month pay period is over. In total I sent 4 bank drafts totalling €360 rather than 2 totalling this....

Will I have to go to court over this as I am now out of the required time period.

I have tried to pay it twice but my payment methods were sent back twice. I am going to call them tomorrow morning but am stressing out over this. I am going to try to pay with two cheques tomorrow as have no credit card. I emailed them earlier and their hours are only 9-5.

I tried to post as a guest but didn't know how to do this and wasn't sure where to post this so it can be moved from her if it needs to be..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

That's another fine mess you've gotten into...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

How about paying it with one draft and stop trying to turn it into a maths test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 peterworried

How about paying it with one draft and stop trying to turn it into a maths test?

They wanted each fine paid with a seperate draft. I did this the first time and they didn't accept it as I was a day late. So the second time I did it I sent 4 drafts as I felt it would do..They are receiving the money, I don't see the problem..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Dont worry about it. This stuff happens to people all the time.

I got a parking fine and lost the letter, when i went to pay the time had elapsed and I was told id go to court.

That was 15 months ago........never heard of it again.

benwavner wrote: »
    Dont worry about it. This stuff happens to people all the time.

I got a parking fine and lost the letter, when i went to pay the time had elapsed and I was told id go to court.

That was 15 months ago........never heard of it again.

So you think I am ok if I call them in the morning and say I am sending them two cheques..They are causing such hassle over this fine, you would think if they receive the drafts for the correct amount then that should be it..My mother thinks I will have to go to court over it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Its pretty obvious that they require 1 draft for full payment of each fine.

So you initially sent this but were late and so you had sent insufficient funds to cover the increased fine.
    You then sent the same 2 drafts with 2 more drafts to cover the additional late penalties This was clearly not going with work as it would be a bit complicated for your average civil service department.

You should simply send 1 draft in full payment of 1 fine & another draft in payment of the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

they shouldn't be allowed to take u to court however if they did take u to court u have good case for it to be thrown out as u made every effort to make the payment &was cooperative-photocopy all the evidence. U can get advice from a solicitor for €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Truff Puff

they shouldn't be allowed to take u to court however if they did take u to court u have good case for it to be thrown out as u made every effort to make the payment &was cooperative-photocopy all the evidence. U can get advice from a solicitor for 50

mickdw wrote: »
    Its pretty obvious that they require 1 draft for full payment of each fine.

So you initially sent this but were late and so you had sent insufficient funds to cover the increased fine.
    You then sent the same 2 drafts with 2 more drafts to cover the additional late penalties This was clearly not going with work as it would be a bit complicated for your average civil service department.

You should simply send 1 draft in full payment of 1 fine & another draft in payment of the other.

Yeah thats what I am going to do tomorrow. That is if its not too late. Hopefully they will understand that I have tried to pay it on time.

Truff Puff wrote: »
    they shouldn't be allowed to take u to court however if they did take u to court u have good case for it to be thrown out as u made every effort to make the payment &was cooperative-photocopy all the evidence. U can get advice from a solicitor for €50

Thanks Truff,

I have tried to pay it twice and mailed them and will ring them in the morning. If this goes to court which it may, its a complete joke.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

The money in your bank account - which would of been used to pay the fines - is now going to be legally designated as a 'criminal asset'. Also any horses or stud farms you own will now be designated as 'criminal assets'. Your house and wife are also now legally liable to be seized pending the outcome of investigations by the Criminal Assets Bureau.
    You will likely be spending christmas behind bars. Where you belong.

So you think I am ok if I call them in the morning and say I am sending them two cheques..They are causing such hassle over this fine, you would think if they receive the drafts for the correct amount then that should be it..My mother thinks I will have to go to court over it...

TBH if the time for payment has elapsed on both the fines, im sure that the correct proceedure is to go to court.

In my case, I called the GS fines office and the operator there told me that I could not pay because the payment period had elapsed by a day. It had gone off their system and they had no access to it.

AFAIK there is a huge backlog in the system, so minor fines may be put aside for some time.

Dont worry if you have to go to court, its small potatoes, you have tried to pay a few times, its not like you bailed on the fine.

Keep the cheques, including the returned envelopes and if you go to court, present them to the judge and explain what happened.

Id say itl be thrown out.

TBH if the time for payment has elapsed on both the fines, im sure that the correct proceedure is to go to court.

In my case, I called the GS fines office and the operator there told me that I could not pay because the payment period had elapsed by a day. It had gone off their system and they had no access to it.

AFAIK there is a huge backlog in the system, so minor fines may be put aside for some time.

Dont worry if you have to go to court, its small potatoes, you have tried to pay a few times, its not like you bailed on the fine.

Keep the cheques, including the returned envelopes and if you go to court, present them to the judge and explain what happened.

Id say itl be thrown out.

I only got the second letter from them today saying that they didn't accept the second fine due to the post delay as well. I thought this was all dealt with weeks ago!

I only got the second letter from them today saying that they didn't accept the second fine due to the post delay as well. I thought this was all dealt with weeks ago!

Definately ring them early tomorrow.

It should be fine, seriously dont stress too much about it!

Definately ring them early tomorrow.

It should be fine, seriously dont stress too much about it!

I will try not to, cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Legal discussion forum or similar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement