Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what roms are people using??

Options
  • 23-12-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭

Im using Modco s rom for the Desire HD and the new froydvillian rom on my hero. What bout everyone else??

Has anyone figured whats the best rom for the DHD by way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭nedd

I have a regular desire and using leedroid. Tried cyanogen but came back to a rom with sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Since i rooted and added modco s rom to my dhd i cant use contact2sim app anymore. Keeps sayin to switch on/off airplane mode makes no difference :confused:

Wonder is this a problem with most roms.

Kinda curious to see what cyanogen hd roms are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

I have a froyo sense Rom on my hero, amazing Rom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

cognition

love it but i do get freezing every couple of days

waiting to try cyanogen if it gets released for the captivate and hopefully the next cognition will have 2.3 and be perfectly stable :p

last time i changed roms everything was wiped but i have titanium back up now so im hoping that means ill be able to put everything back were i want it when i do change

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

bladevillian on orange san fran

really like it cept it doesnt have gallery so got to sort that out

• Advertisement

Titanium is dead handy when installing a rom that requires a full wipe.

The biggest pain about installing a new rom I find is setting up my home screens the way I like. And that's not really hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭sombaht

Customised BladeVillain on a San Fran. Loving it! :D

Cheers,
    sombaht

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

JAWS-MIUI on HD2 and Darkstone's Gingerbread sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

vodafone 845 mr edition atm, might change to CMI 2.2 when it is a bit more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Bleeding edge Gingerbread builds :)
    On older Android devices I use Modaco's android builds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

DeFroST for me, it's based off CyanogenMod & the developer has confirmed it will move to 2.3 once they do.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I've finally managed to fix my Desire so I can put ROM's on it. I need a recommendation for one with good battery performance, as I adore my Desire but the battery life is simply awful, often I go through two entire batteries in one day - I so often get caught out with a dead battery when I cannot charge.

Currently I've got LeeDroid running and I like it - some nice features. I know there are really stripped down roms with great battery but I don't want to loose all the bells and whistles.

Any recommendations for me? Or other ways I can increase battery life? I have Juice DEfender which m,ad a big differnce, but it drives me nuts how if I want to use internet etc - its fiddley to get data back on as JD takes control.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Don't use task killers or battery apps, they are a waste of time. Best thing to improve battery life = use Launcher pro instead of HTC Sense. Don't even need to root phone for this. Android 2.2 itself gave a big boost to battery life. Similarly don't use live wallpapers etc.

Radio is the big killer of battery. I was in London recently and because Meteor data roaming charges are insane I had mobile internet turned off. I landed early on monday morning with phone charged, and flew home on friday evening without recharging it (htc desire + leedroid + launcherpro). Had used as mp3 player for some bits over the week.

Some other battery tips:
    The weaker your signal is the worse battery performance will be as phone has to work harder. This is a big reason why people report their charge lasting for different amounts of time. Be especially careful of very weak EDGE connection in rural area. Your phone will think it's connected ("E" symbol displayed) and try to sync unsuccessfully, over and over and over. So you wake up in morning late with no alarm because phone is completely dead. Use airplane mode at night to stop this (only happens in places with AWFUL reception).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks :) OK so I'll get rid of taskkiller and I'll use Launcher Pro. I never use Radio at all. I'm not sure about the signal thing. So "E" shows when its on Edge? On my Advanced Controller I can toggle 2G/3G - maybe I'll use that

Can anyone recommend a site where I can learn about different roms and chose the one that's best for me?

Zascar wrote: »
    Thanks :) OK so I'll get rid of taskkiller and I'll use Launcher Pro. I never use Radio at all. I'm not sure about the signal thing. So "E" shows when its on Edge? On my Advanced Controller I can toggle 2G/3G - maybe I'll use that

Can anyone recommend a site where I can learn about different roms and chose the one that's best for me?

Try one of the MIUI Roms. Lightweight rom with all the eye candy you need ;) Just try it :) theres a few features on it that always keep me coming back to it even if it does resemble the iOS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Zascar wrote: »
    I never use Radio at all

Yes you do. I'm not talking about FM Radio, I'm talking about the "mobile" bit in "mobile phone". 2g/3g toggle won't make any difference in this case, device will only use EDGE (2g) when it can't connect to 3g (shows as 3g or H for even better). If you live in the sticks with terrible reception then your battery will suffer because the radio has to work harder to talk to the base station. Disable mobile internet altogether if this is a big problem.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Using FroydVillain 1.7.2 on my Hero. I absolutely love it! Never been happier with the phone, can't fault it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

conzymaher wrote: »
    Using FroydVillain 1.7.2 on my Hero. I absolutely love it! Never been happier with the phone, can't fault it yet.

Ditto. The phone is flying along now. No intention of changing phone now for a while.
    Only slightly jealous of my wife's DHD!

I'm using LeeDroid - I have not tried that many but its actually the only one I like. I tried Modaco but did not see what the fuss is about. Trackball unlock is a must have for me. Really like some of the others like Car Home etc

Try one of the MIUI Roms. Lightweight rom with all the eye candy you need ;) Just try it :) theres a few features on it that always keep me coming back to it even if it does resemble the iOS :)

Where do I get MIUI in English?

Thanks

• Advertisement

for which phone?

best two places are MIUI Forum or XDA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Interesting about the battery thingmebob.
    I should have my second DHD maybe thursday so Ill use one DHD the way I normally do and then ill arse about with the other one and see what the story is regarding battery.

why do you have to hd's? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

CyanogenMod 7 RC0 builds (Gingerbread) on my DHD at the mo, lightning fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I'm using Leedroid at the moment. Every so often I get a notification screen asking me to update to 2.2...... Just wondering if I did this update would i lose the Leedroid update and would it unroot my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

Stuck on gingervillain rom last nite for a look. Few of my apps didn't work, and i got FC on a couple more. Liked what i saw overall though, looking forward to some fully functional gb roms...
    s_carnage wrote: »
    I'm using Leedroid at the moment. Every so often I get a notification screen asking me to update to 2.2...... Just wondering if I did this update would i lose the Leedroid update and would it unroot my phone?

general rule is not to install any ota updates while running a custom rom...wait for leedroids next release, he'll probably have the update included...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Using Leedroid but also tried Oxygen v2.0-RC6 (gingerbread) found it to be faster than leedroid. No A2SD+ or sense though :(. Well impressed none the less

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

i'm using the oxygen v2.0-test-rev2 (released today)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

is that this one micro??

Edit: found it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

I'm using LeeDroid since yesterday. So far so good.
    Torn between sense and non sense. It's nonsense I know!

Hope some non sense GB roms will have copy paste in browser and thaw should do me then...

Advertisement