Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rest time between shifts?

Options
  • 23-12-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

Quick question as I'm having a problem in work. Basically this evening I on the rota in work to work until 9:00 pm, and due in work again again at 8:00 am. According to the Organisation of Working time act I am allowed eleven hours consecutive rest between shifts, my argument with them is that since it takes twenty minutes to cash up I don't actually finish until 9:20 pm and that would leave me with less than the eleven hours allowed by lay. My employer is argueing that I am getting the eleven hours as my shift is rostered to finish at nine.

Why is actually right?

Now normally I wouldn't care about the twenty minutes, but considering that I requested a number of times to finish work early in Tuesday due to severe weather and bus restrictions and wasn't allowed resulting in my getting stranded in town with no means of getting home and I'm facing the dame situation again tonight I don't exactly feel the need to be anyway accommodating to my employers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Technically your employer is right given your "rostered" hours

Also any enforcement of the Working Time Act factors in averages over a period of iirc six weeks, so a one off like this is unlikely to be seen as an issue.

Advertisement