Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else disgusted with apple pulling wikileaks app?!?

Options
  • 23-12-2010 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

If I could sell all my apple products I'd be done with them immediately!

shocking the companies that are now showing their true colours and dancing to the yanky governments tune!

off with their heads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

what was their reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

Couldnt care less to be honest .....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It was because the app donated some of its revenue to charity, which Apple has strict rules about. They are free to adjust the payment structure of their donations to comply with the App Store rules. Had nothing to do with the fact it was Wikileaks. If it did, I'd be first in line to ditch my gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Safari

I can haz web

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

ya had nothing to do with wikileaks or its content but the app itself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Elevator wrote: »

shocking the companies that are now showing their true colours and dancing to the yanky governments tune!

off with their heads
    Oh come on! Apple aren't stopping you from accessing WikiLeaks. Use Safari.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

People seem to forget that it is apple selling the apps on the app store.

How can one possibly think that a company shouldn't have a choice on what to sell?!

It's their choice. If the consumers don't like the choices then they can purchase from elsewhere. That would force apple to supply what customers want.

The success of the app store proves that consumers are satisfied with the choice of apps available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/2010/dec/21/apple-wikileaks-app

link contains the email sent to the developer of the app

the problem is they approved the app in the first place and then a few days later they just pull it and don't give a reason either

maybe it's the conspiracy theorist in me but in all fairness wikileaks has been getting dropped by a lot of people recently and I for one reckon you can add apple to the strings the yanks are pulling!!

off with their heads

banquo wrote: »
    It was because the app donated some of its revenue to charity, which Apple has strict rules about. They are free to adjust the payment structure of their donations to comply with the App Store rules. Had nothing to do with the fact it was Wikileaks. If it did, I'd be first in line to ditch my gear!

thought so

edit; apple specifically dont allow apps to donate to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

People seem to forget that it is apple selling the apps on the app store.

How can one possibly think that a company shouldn't have a choice on what to sell?!

It's their choice. If the consumers don't like the choices then they can purchase from elsewhere. That would force apple to supply what customers want.

The success of the app store proves that consumers are satisfied with the choice of apps available.

how can we purchase from elsewhere exactly, jailbreaking isnt purchasing. apple wont exactly get the hint either way. wikileaks app was crap anyway tbh, go on in safari if you care that much.

• Advertisement

ye have all missed the point here big time!!

I am well aware that I can view wikileaks on my iPhone with safari, IMac or mac mini with chrome but what is getting on my titties is the fact that apple approved and sold the app for a few days, seemed to have started off selling mostly in yankyland and hey presto a few days later they disapprove of the app and it's gone!!

they have proven to me to be another pawn of the yanky government and I won't be buying anymore apple products myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Well, why can't and don't you sell them so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Let's keep the vitriol out of this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I'll buy them. Let's see what you got.

Sweet wrote: »
    Well, why can't and don't you sell them so?

because they cost me enough!! and I'm not willing to lose money on reselling them 2nd hand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

because they cost me enough!! and I'm not willing to lose money on reselling them 2nd hand

:D

ye have all missed the point here big time!!

I am well aware that I can view wikileaks on my iPhone with safari, IMac or mac mini with chrome but what is getting on my titties is the fact that apple approved and sold the app for a few days, seemed to have started off selling mostly in yankyland and hey presto a few days later they disapprove of the app and it's gone!!

they have proven to me to be another pawn of the yanky government and I won't be buying anymore apple products myself.

look maybe your right and someone in the goverment got onto them and told them they should take it down

but

there are apps that break the rules that get through the approval process and are only band at a later date

its not always a big conspiracy, however if you think it is list up your hardware and im sure we can find people who would like to take it off your hands

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I can see the headlines now. "This just in.....Large company does something to suit itself and shareholders SHOCKER"

It's not the first time Apple have made a cockup in the approval process only to have to reverse their decision at a later stage. I really think you are looking into this a little too much. Besides, for better or for worse, the vast majority of people dont care for wikileaks anyway. Theres no consipiracy here, it broke the rules and Apple didnt catch it until later, like 100's of apps before. No big deal, put the handbag down, relax and get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Moral argument blown out of the water.

A, Theres safari on the iPhone
    B, the wikileaks app would have just been the safari interfece with a change of colors and no url or google bar
    C, They are still being sold under Apples name and a small font saying the developer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

off with their heads

Who cares?:p

Advertisement