Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 & SBS2003

Options
  • 23-12-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Looking for a bit of help / advice if possible.

At work, we have 4 servers, 3 x windows 2008 and 1 x windows 2003. We have 12 or 14 pcs half of which are Windows XP and half Windows 7.

A number of our Windows 7 machines appear to be giving trouble recently including, dropping off the network, slow access to our file server (Our file server is Windows 2008), random drive mapping, among other things.

My main question is, are there any known issues with Windows 7 PC's operating in Windows 2003 Small Business Server Domain Environments?

All of our Windows XP machines appear to be working perfectly. Login scripts are fine in relation to map drives, no drops off the network, no slow access to file shares etc.

Any help / advice on the above issues would be very much welcome.

Kind regards,

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I had an issue with windows vista/7 dropping off Win 2003 networks.

Servers were Dell 2950s with broadcom network cards. And it turned out to be something with the broadcom cards + drivers that disagreed with the vista / 7 network stack. XP was no problem. Ubuntu /solaris were fine also.

Updating drivers didn't help. As it was more than one server it suggested to me that it's not a hardware issue alone.

I diagnosed by enabling link aggregation on the broadcom card which allowed the card to accept and respond to traffic from Vista & 7, presumably it bypasses or disables some faulting part of the card+driver combination.
    Worked around it by installing other network cards, so I've no fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

how did you join the win 7 machines to the domain? using the computer properties maybe? best practice is to use servername/connectcomputer as it causes way less pain (several known issues with using the old method to join to domain)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

corkcomp wrote: »
    how did you join the win 7 machines to the domain? using the computer properties maybe? best practice is to use servername/connectcomputer as it causes way less pain (several known issues with using the old method to join to domain)

Hi there,

Yep we just went with the conventional way of using Computer Properties. Do you think re-connecting via this method could assist?

I take it you type that command into the run command window?

Obviously it was a bad time opening this thread before Christmas so now that people are starting to get back it would be great if anyone else had any light to shed on these issues for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Yep that should help, I've found that joining conventional Way causes several problems!! You need to put that into address bar of Internet explorer

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

corkcomp wrote: »
    Yep that should help, I've found that joining conventional Way causes several problems!! You need to put that into address bar of Internet explorer

Have just tried to enter that into the Internet Explorer but I am getting the cannot display web page error.

I entered it simply as servername/connectcomputer but obviously replacing the servername with our SBS2003 Domain Server Name.

Is this correct?

Rgds

Paul

• Advertisement
Advertisement