Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding Accommodation

Options
  • 23-12-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Just got a job offer starting on 13th January.

Just looking for info on finding accomodation. I will be working in centre of London (construction - Crossrail) and wondering what are my best options in terms of places to live and rough guideline on prices?

Also what are the first things I should be sorting out when I go over?

Sorry about the dumb questions it's just happened all of a sudden!

Comments

Gumtree
    bank account (before you leave if possible)
    National insurance number.

You might want to register with a GP too if you ever want medical attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Country lane

If your working centrally your quite flexible in where you live i guess. And where you live depends on what kind of lifestyle you want, what your budget is and if and who your planning on living wit.

If your coming over and on your own a house share can be a good starting point as it can immediately throw you into a social scene etc. I spent between £450-500 pcm for a large double room when house sharing.

There are Irish all over London, the largest populations have been North, North West and West London, but seems quite a few coming over now are pitching up in different spots with Clapham being popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Thanks for the replies.

I will be budgeting about £500/month fot accommodation so hoping to get something reasonably central for that.

I was thinking Clapham alright as I know a lot Irish are over there.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Loot is a daily classified add newspaper with a large property rental section, flats, bedsits, house shares...etc. You can it buy in any newsagent. They have a website http://www.loot.com/ , but the newspaper would be more up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 romeromerome

You might want to register with a GP too if you ever want medical attention.

I've been here 3 months and rang up my local GP yesterday only to be told I had to be living here 6 months before I was "entitled to the NHS"!

Although I was told not to worry, if I was ever in a bad accident I would of course be taken to an A&E :rolleyes:

I just wanted a stinkin antibiotic! Off to the walk in clinic..

But on topic, yes, get a bank account sorted as soon as possible. Its the key to everything, even getting a UK sim card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Agreed on the bank account, Lloyds TSB lets you open one without having proof of address.

We used www.rightmove.co.uk when looking for accomodation. Don't forget to make allowance for council tax, which varies according to where you live. Somewhere relatively near a tube station or bus stop is most convenient.

I didn't sort out my National Insurance number until recently and I've been here since end of August and working since October. It takes a couple of weeks for them to process though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Laribz

Is it relatively easy to find accommodation!? I tried to contact some people with regard to a viewing when I was over there last week and got no replies (using spareroom.co.uk). Maybe I just have to wait till I'm in London to get somewhere sorted. Still worrying though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭winstons pt

Anybody know somebody OR have a friend of a friend working on the Crossrail in London who can have some pull for a 360 Excavator operator Looking for work in England?

Advertisement