Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Dinner?

Options
  • 23-12-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

On a light note - how many people give their dogs a full Christmas dinner on Christmas day? We do, every year and they love it! They get a half portion of food for breakfast and then about 2 (or whenever we are physically able to get ourselves into a standing position) they get the full works.

One of mine doesn't like sprouts (neither does the OH - apparently they "taste like fart" biggrin.gif) but we still give them to him. Every years he rolls them around in his mouth and spits them out on the floor.

Does anyone have any traditions they do every year with their animals (don't want to be speciesist and limit it to just dogs)? We always, without fail, walk them at 12 when everything is cooking but before the afternoon of greed begins! This year it will be more difficult than previous years but come hell or high water (or should I say, high snow!) we will walk them at noon on Christmas wink.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Poppy is getting raw lamb ribs for her x-mas dinner, much nicer than the horrible dry turkey I will have to eat :D. We have a long standing family tradition of going to the beach on boxing day. Adults, kids, dogs and poines all come as well as a few extended family members that sometimes join in! Looks like the ponios won't be going this year though, and if the road conditions get any worse none of us will :( And everyone seems to be getting sick :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

We used to make special 'christmas cakes' for the horses - a couple of scoops of cool n' cooked (horse feed) all mixed up with sticky molasses in a big cake tin, plus carrots and polo mints on top to decorate, all served on a bed of hay... I think we enjoyed making it as much as they enoyed eating it!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I like to take my dogs on a good longer than usual walk on Christmas morning. That way I can eat my dinner and feed them scraps in good conscience! Last year we didn't get to walk until St Stephens Day but that was because of the bad weather and the fact that I fell on black ice outside the house Christmas morning. Didn't feel like going for a walk after that, my back was killing me for ages. Hopefully this year we'll get out again, even though I have discovered that one of the dogs considers walking in the cold and snow to be a form of torture. He walks hunched over and looks utterly downcast, just like he does when it rains. The other two enjoy sniffing the snow and trotting along. So if we don't get to go far, I know that at least one dog will be okay with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Just saw on tv last night that as much as 7 raisins can give a dog kidney (or was it liver) failure.. so easy on the xmas pud..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

This is my dogs first Christmas and they will be coming to my parents house with me, while OH goes to his folks.
    We plan to spend 2/3 nights out there. Am a bit apprehensive about it. They've been out in my parents house a good bit, but we've never stayed out there.
    I'll bring their bed and toys and food and hopefully they will settle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

When I had my cats, they ALWAYS got a nice bit of salmon or fresh tuna steak for their dinner. They would then get some of my duck.

Last year, I had my last Christmas with the cat, and the first with the dog. Gave the cat his salmon as usual, saw the dog sniffing round, so I did some for him too which he loved. So that's what the dog'll be getting with some brown rice, plus whatever turkey/duck/beef he can ponce from the table! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

yeah they'll be getting the full works pretty much...turkey, ham, carrots, sprouts, potato...will have to exclude the gravy and stuffing though (onions)

it's their first christmas so we're all very excited! well ok in my head the dogs are just as excited as me!):o

really looking forward to the christmas morning walk as it'll be both myself and OH (we rarely have a day off together) and the two dogs all together. I imagine it'll be lovely and quiet it better be white!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scoll

My dog will get a bit of turkey... and a new toy. This year a Kong!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

scoll wrote: »
    My dog will get a bit of turkey... and a new toy. This year a Kong!

Our guy will be getting some xmas dindins this year :pac: His xmas present is a Kong Pet Stix which I thought was cool cos he sometimes get's sick from chewing up sticks!- not that he can play with it for a while cos he's back on crate rest! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Because this thread is relatively anonymous I am going to tell people that last year I gave my dog her dinner with her own candleabra lighting on the floor beside her!:o
    This year, as I have a second dog, they will both be sharing a candlelit dinner of turkey, ham and gravy - followed by some melted ice-cream.
    My other tradition in the house is that the youngest person puts the baby in the crib on Christmas morning, so my new dog will be doing that - if he doesn't eat it before it gets there!:eek:
    Tonight I'll be leaving out their letter to Santa Paws (who always writes back!!) and some raw hide for the rein-dogs!
    Ok - I know I should be in some institution or other but.......!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Yep. He will get the same dinner as us & a little drop of red wine in his water bowl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭dahat

mine will get some chicken necks...with some lovely round roast,side order of lambs liver.
    all raw of course!!

then again they get dinners like this every day so i guess they get xmas all year round`!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well this morning the dogs had a tin of mackerel in oil, a sausage and some nuts between them, then when we had dinner they had some veggies (my two love veggies), some meat and some nuts.
    While the oven was on a left some Yam on a tray in the bottom so they had Yam chews for desert, and some for tomorrow too.

Oh, they also had some raw sausages thanks to the thieving cat who tried a smash and grab raid but they were too heavy and the dogs wolfed them down when he dropped them:D

Cats had some turkey and ham, and one had some butternut squash and chestnut soup, licked from the bowl in the dishwasher.

All are snoozing happily now.

Hope you all had a great day with your pets.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh mine is comotose in his basket now...

Salmon & brown rice to start, did a taste test for duck (He reckons it passed!:D), his usual toast and Bovril. That was at home for starters.

Then - round at the in-laws, he wolfed down his favourite ham, turkey, turkey sandwiches, dog chews, dog biscuits which was all washed down with copious amounts of water. Lots of doggy pressie to open & play with.

Little rough and tumble with his cousin, with rest breaks in between. Eventually got home and has been crashed out since.

Yes - he had a good Christmas thanks and hopes you did too!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

squirell had turkey giblets, some ham, a wee bit of stuffing and some sausages, hes now headed off to bed with his christmas present a new chew bone:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Our fella had turkey, ham, croquettes, roast potatoes, stuffing and a bit of gravey, and then Irish coffee to wash it all down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Mine had half their usual brek then a bowl each of turkey and ham at dinner - never saw anything vanish so fast:eek: Turkey and cranberry flavoured treats to follow with snowball sweets (canine variety) in the afternoon. They both had a rawhide each as well, which caused ructions cause each one wanted the others all day - crazy dogs!
    They're gone to the woods with their daddy at the moment so it's scarily quiet here! I have the towels and shampoo ready for their return:D Then it's back on the couch for an evening of tv and a nice warm fire (no rawhides this evening - they're in my pocket;))
    It's certainly a dog's Christmas in this house!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

We were at my mothers & my sister brought hers as well so we had 4 doggies for the dinner, unfortunately we are all such greedy guts they did only okay but they loved the nuts with duck fat over and 2 of them are a bit strange and had melon for starter!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Harley got a smaller than usual brekkie, then a full christmas dinner minus a few bits like stuffing and our gravy (I made him his own without all the salt etc).

Last night though he hit the jackpot, my grandad, my dad and my husband came home drunk and set into the remaining turkey and ham, eagerly helped by a "hungry looking" dog. He then slept on the couches with me and my husband with his head on the pillow, happily snoring his stuffed head off. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

It's our dog's second Christmas and we give ur some of our leftovers which basically moutns to a full Christmas dinner with some of the lovely turkey juice and gravy to make it even nicer!
    She LOVES it.. and she gets a little bit of pudding afterwards too! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sounds like a very lucky dog aoife! I'm not sure what is in pudding, but be careful if there are raisins, they can be very very toxic to dogs. (I think something like 5 raisins can kill a dog :eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was very simple here.

LIDL had an offer on turkeys; half price... a 4.5 turkey for just over E5.

We had already bought one at full price and jointed it in the freezer. but this was too good an offer to miss.

So we had the breasts. cooked with our own stuffing and sauce recipe..

The cats shared a leg...then a wing....raw always.

And the dogs had half the carcase each. Raw.. In separate rooms of course.

Watching rescued collie munch her way through half a raw turkey carcase has to be the happiest scene. And the noisiest. And actually the healthiest.

We have little in the way of what most have at Christmas so this was perfect for all of us. '

And there was soup and stew for a week thick with carrots and turnip and pulses and barley and loved by the dogs and us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

squirell had turkey giblets, some ham, a wee bit of stuffing and some sausages, hes now headed off to bed with his christmas present a new chew bone:)

I thought you were saying you fed your dog squirrel :o

Ham and turkey pieces and brussel sprouts,then carrots which were raw:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

Yep, this year I never seen her eat anything so fast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BengaLover wrote: »
    Just saw on tv last night that as much as 7 raisins can give a dog kidney (or was it liver) failure.. so easy on the xmas pud..:D

Interesting; see this link

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/f/grape_raisin.htm

http://www.suite101.com/content/danger-of-grapes-raisins-in-dogs-a38183

Not sure where you are getting the number 7 from? The last article mentions half a canister of raisins. And a whole pound of grapes...

And the number 7 is mentioned in relation to dogs who died, not the number of raisins

Always wary of feeding human food like pudding to dogs anyways. for a dog food is food and it is the love it is given with that matters.

More dogs are poisoned like this with eg chocolate than with any fruit.

Advertisement