Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lapwing - advice needed (was- Bird ID)

Options
  • 23-12-2010 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi

I've spotted a bird downstairs (I'm on the fifth floor) - photos attached - they're not great because it's so far away!

Do you think this could be a lapwing? I'm in Ranelagh. It's just been sitting by the kerb for about 10 minutes at least. Should I try to give it food? Presumably it's knackered and starving, it stayed where it was when a car left a space just beside it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It is a Lapwing. Can't offer advice with regard to food, but Lapwings do seem to be suffering badly, but probably few species escaping

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

I'm pretty sure now it's a lapwing, see new photo.

Is this unusual? Poor thing is probably freezing, didn't seem too concerned that I was there. I didn't want to get too close.

Cheers. It's still just sitting down there. According to my RSPB book of birds, they eat invertebrates - don't have many of them in the cupboard! I wonder if it would take a bit of vegetarian suet or a bit of cheese?

Poor lapwing, I think the hooded crows got him.

There was a bunch of magpies going crazy outside, I looked out and they were all gathered round a couple of crows that had something (I think the lapwing) on the ground. I went out to have a look and no sign of the lapwing or the crows, the magpies were all still calling away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Poor lapwing, I think the hooded crows got him.

There was a bunch of magpies going crazy outside, I looked out and they were all gathered round a couple of crows that had something (I think the lapwing) on the ground. I went out to have a look and no sign of the lapwing or the crows, the magpies were all still calling away.

Well the hooded crows wouldnt have been able to pick him up and fly off with him and if there arnt feathers or a body on the ground then the chances are it flew off. I think hooded crows eat carrion but I doubt they'd go after a bird that size. Still, desperate times out there so who knows. I would have thought this kind of weather would be no bother to a lapwing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement