Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Focus noisy ABS???

Options
  • 22-12-2010 11:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

I well used to ABS in many cars but have to say the ABS in the Focus (2008 with ESP) is the most agricultural I've ever experienced. It makes a severe rough, grating sound, with quite a bit of 'kick' in the pedal, can any other Focus drivers confirm if this is normal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My audi abs system is quite rough too. So rough that it sounds as if it is almost doing damage. Obviously its just designed that way to draw attention to the fact that system is cutting in. Having said that, you would need to be pretty dumb not to realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I noticed this in the mk2 (05) during the last snow we had. It felt like I had no control and the brake felt like cheese on a grater with some stones mixed in. So I found myself having to apply the handbrake gently to slow at junctions. I've no bothar with my own mk1 non abs, tis shweet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

not just the focus i've an 06 fiesta and it does the same, it was my first car with abs, brought it back to the garage as thought something was wrong with it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gitb1

My 10 megane is the same. I never had a car with sbs before and thought it was normal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I've just bought a golf and I've experienced this as well, very alarming the first time I heard/felt it! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think every car is going to be different, my previous two cars (Seat Ibiza and Leon) both felt like medium size gravel in between the discs and pads. Current car (Rx8) feels like smaller gravel but more of it.

Just a guess, but I think it feels like more gravel because it's operating quicker (i.e. applying and releasing more times per second), and it feels like smaller gravel because the pad is moving back less each time.

I'm assuming both of these qualities are better, and that the Rx8 has more advanced ABS than the Ibiza/Leon, so it's possible that the Focus ABS isn't as advanced/refined as previous cars you were used to?

Also I presume things like the discs used, the calipers, pads etc would all have an impact in how the ABS feels back through the pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

The ABS is as smooth as you like in my BMW.

But then, BMWs are the cars of God-like men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

pajo1981 wrote: »

That is my previous experience of them, Megane also feels a lot more refined, you know its working but without the theatrics of the Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

And RWD's are nightmares to drive in snow and icy conditions

My focus mk2.5 is like what the OP said but it works and the last car I had Pug 206 was rough with the ABS too, but at least it worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

maybe Im just a gentle driver but the ABS hasnt activated at all in our Fiesta, (except backing down the drive (steep)..Traction contriol occasionaly gives me a flash.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭gondorff

But then, I'd rather drive an Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I well used to ABS in many cars but have to say the ABS in the Focus (2008 with ESP) is the most agricultural I've ever experienced. It makes a severe rough, grating sound, with quite a bit of 'kick' in the pedal, can any other Focus drivers confirm if this is normal?
    Perfectly normal steve!

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

My Focus is the same. Plenty of grating noise and a good foot massage. I've had it happen a lot more since the weather got cold and the roads getting slippery but it can happen on grit/roughness on roads etc also. I wouldn't worry about it :).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I just take the bulb out of the dash. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

06 ST

exactly the same, its normal

Advertisement