Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leving cert subjects

Options
  • 22-12-2010 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

hi,

i am a secondary school student and very interested in studying law. i am just wondering what subjects to pick for the leaving cert.?? can anybody give suggestions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Business subjects can be helpful. Doing well in English is the only other thing I can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 padraig100

k mac

thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

History, Business, Economics.

Really i would just play to my strengths and go for easy points.

thanks very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 TheBouldMowgli

Business is possibly the most useful as it touches on elements of contract law which is a university subject

History can slightly prepare u for the type of heavy reading you'll hav if u study law at college.

Basic principles of accounting ar examined in blackball place, and a good grasp of numbers is important for any legal job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

History involves lots of notes though!

thanks thebouldmowgli!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Classical studies is the big one I would recommend.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

its not taught in my school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Well thats that then!

History then.

• Advertisement

thank mussolini!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Personally I don't think it matters. Do the subjects that you enjoy plenty of time in college to acclimatise yourself to the wonders of law :O

MUSSOLINI wrote: »

Really???

I would have said business, english, accounting and maths. Having a good logical thought process (hence the maths) is a vital part of legal study in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I don't think subjects matter all that much to be honest. The majority of people in my class did history though, it seems to be a pattern. Personally I did economics, physics, chemistry and French-people are always shocked to hear that for some reason. Just go for what you like and think you could do well in. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I don't think subjects matter all that much to be honest. The majority of people in my class did history though, it seems to be a pattern. Personally I did economics, physics, chemistry and French-people are always shocked to hear that for some reason. Just go for what you like and think you could do well in. :)

I think history helped most because of the long essay questions. I don't think the Leaving Cert format still has these but I'm open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

k_mac wrote: »
    I think history helped most because of the long essay questions. I don't think the Leaving Cert format still has these but I'm open to correction.

I'm fairly sure it is still in an essay orientated format, I'm only a first year student so most people in my year did the LC in 2010 and AFAIK there were a lot of essays involved. :)

almost never- thanks! :)

Advertisement