Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem connecting OBDII scanner to 04 Ford Focus

Options
  • 22-12-2010 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭

Got an ELM 327 scanner. Drivers installed okay and it's appearing as Comm 4. Tried using ScanTool and PCMScan but both say no response from the car. Checked the fuse for the connector and it looks fine.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I have to ask the obvious question, have you got the ignition on when trying to connect?

Assuming your car is starting and running reasonably ok, then its a fault with the scanner..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I have to ask the obvious question, have you got the ignition on when trying to connect?

Assuming your car is starting and running reasonably ok, then its a fault with the scanner..

Yep, ignition is on. The software is saying it's picking up the scanner on comm 4 but no reply from the car.

Could the OBD computer in the car be broke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yep, ignition is on. The software is saying it's picking up the scanner on comm 4 but no reply from the car.

Could the OBD computer in the car be broke?

The OBD computer is the ecu, if it doesn't work then the car doesn't work.

The OBD computer is the ecu, if it doesn't work then the car doesn't work.

Well that's abit re assuring I spose.:P

Hmm, perhaps the wrong baud rate being used. I read somewhere that earlier Focus' may not be OBDII compliant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Tell me this: is that ELM made in China, silver in appearance, and possibly purchased on EBay?

• Advertisement

shamwari wrote: »
    Tell me this: is that ELM made in China, silver in appearance, and possibly purchased on EBay?

No, it's black. It was purchased off Ebay but from a UK seller. This is the one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170576895456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Also noticed when I just have it plugged into the car the power LED on it is very dim, where as it goes bright when connected to the USB of the PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

When I was in FAS I remember a lot of the crap diagnostic computers and none of them would connect with Ford or only an odd time.

The very first ELM I purchased was a silver one made in China from EBay. It worked with a fairly simple freeware diagnostic tool that was supplied with it. However I found that the software was very limited in terms of the data I could view, and it would not work on anything with CAN BUS (despite claims that it would), nor would it work with a more reputable diagnostic tool I bought from Gendan, a leading UK supplier.

I had a long chat with one of the lads I know there and he told me that those "oddball" ELM's were pure rubbish. I bought one of the ELM's he supplied (think it was £40 or so) and I have had no problems whatsoever since. It works with everything they supply, and everything I have sourced and used and with it since.

Can I suggest to the OP that he tries the ELM on another car and see if he can establish comms with. When you plug the ELM into the car, the power light should come on. With IGN on and trying to initiate comms (using COM4 or whatever port the PC sees the ELM), you should see the TX & RX lights flicker as the ELM handshakes with ECU in the car. If you get a repeat of the same problem on another car then the problem might well be hardware related.

Plug wrote: »
    When I was in FAS I remember a lot of the crap diagnostic computers and none of them would connect with Ford or only an odd time.
    Ford are indeed a bit of an acquired taste alright when it comes to certain scantool functions. Regular OBD fault codes should read easily though, but I've had problems with some yielding up manufacturer-specific codes between P1000-P1999 unless it was accompanying a P0xx code that was related to it (usually emissions). These P1xxx codes usually don't put the EML light on, and a scantool with Ford specific software is usually needed to read them.

• Advertisement

The very first ELM I purchased was a silver one made in China from EBay. It worked with a fairly simple freeware diagnostic tool that was supplied with it. However I found that the software was very limited in terms of the data I could view, and it would not work on anything with CAN BUS (despite claims that it would), nor would it work with a more reputable diagnostic tool I bought from Gendan, a leading UK supplier.

I had a long chat with one of the lads I know there and he told me that those "oddball" ELM's were pure rubbish. I bought one of the ELM's he supplied (think it was £40 or so) and I have had no problems whatsoever since. It works with everything they supply, and everything I have sourced and used and with it since.

Can I suggest to the OP that he tries the ELM on another car and see if he can establish comms with. When you plug the ELM into the car, the power light should come on. With IGN on and trying to initiate comms (using COM4 or whatever port the PC sees the ELM), you should see the TX & RX lights flicker as the ELM handshakes with ECU in the car. If you get a repeat of the same problem on another car then the problem might well be hardware related.

Yeah, I was just reading about clone ones, not sure if I have one.

It does the handshake as you described. Do you know what software works for sure with this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

I have been looking at buying a scanner lately and the ELM as described was a possible contender, until I was warned off by people who had experience of it. Further investigation revealed that the Chinese ones can be a cloned/adapted version, which doesn't quite do what it says on the tin. There is a wealth of information on jaguarforums.com regarding this topic, including a list of reviews, good and bad from members/actual users. I would tend to suspect the scanner and there is a check you can do to see if yours is suspect/doctored. Cant quote it offhand but its also on the forums. Will try to find it and let you know.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I was just reading about clone ones, not sure if I have one.

It does the handshake as you described. Do you know what software works for sure with this car?
    I use this I've used it on the later Fords from 05 onwards and it works very well. If your car is a petrol, it has to be fully OBDII compliant since 2001, so again this should work.

Tested it with Scantool and a 2006 Citroen C3 and it connected okay. That rules out the interface. That engine check is a tad pricey for my taste.

So you lads reckon it's a software issue rather than anything wrong with the car?

There's a whole load of comms protocols used by these scanners (ISO's, KWP etc) and it may be possible that your scantool or ELM is ok on one or a few and not all (which might explain why the C3 works), and the ones that they won't support is the one needed by the Ford. Does the scantool say what protocol it's connecting with?

There's a whole load of comms protocols used by these scanners (ISO's, KWP etc) and it may be possible that your scantool or ELM is ok on one or a few and not all (which might explain why the C3 works), and the ones that they won't support is the one needed by the Ford. Does the scantool say what protocol it's connecting with?

No, doesn't seem to. Just says ELM.

I tried it with ScanMaster software, I have attached the error I get.

Advertisement