Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS sites: issues in Wicklow

Options
  • 22-12-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭

Just messing around with mapmyride and ridewithgps to see if one is better than the other.

Neither is able to deal with coming onto the N11 from side roads at either Kilmacanogue (down rocky valley to N11 north) or Fassaroe (Fassaroe to N11 south). Its pretty annoying and a very basic mistake. Dunno if other exits are similar.

What going on, do the sites block the exits as unsuitable or something. Both of them are un-suitable for me to use now as they would be common points on my routes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

If you are mapping a route, you can turn off "follow road" or whatever the option is, then do it manually for the offending section and turn the option back on afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

have you tried www.bikeroutetoaster.com ?

I find the metres climbed pretty accurate on there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Just messing around with mapmyride and ridewithgps to see if one is better than the other.

Neither is able to deal with coming onto the N11 from side roads at either Kilmacanogue (down rocky valley to N11 north) or Fassaroe (Fassaroe to N11 south). Its pretty annoying and a very basic mistake. Dunno if other exits are similar.

What going on, do the sites block the exits as unsuitable or something. Both of them are un-suitable for me to use now as they would be common points on my routes.

They're both using Google's maps, hence the issue with both. Send in your quibble to Google, they are very receptive to corrections on their maps, and the rest of us'll thank you for it. In the meantime Raam's suggestion is exactly what I do too.

One exception: I found the same issue recently trying to route myself past Arklow down the N11, and I was most miffed at its insistence on routing me down side roads. It was actually ahead of me, and doing me a favour; that short stretch of N/M11 is now motorway and so unsuitable for bikes. The actual map tiles just haven't been updated yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

oflahero wrote: »
    They're both using Google's maps, hence the issue with both. Send in your quibble to Google, they are very receptive to corrections on their maps, and the rest of us'll thank you for it. In the meantime Raam's suggestion is exactly what I do too.

maps.google.com works for those example without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

maps.google.com works for those example without issue.

For driving directions, yes.

The bike sites are probably using the 'walking directions' setting, which work reasonably well when you have a start and end point, but for plotting something like a a multi-point cumulative bike journey on a third-party site, it can go a bit haywire and round the houses. Google probably won't want to know I guess in that case, unless they're planning on bringing out a third 'cycling' setting...

• Advertisement
Advertisement