Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where and how to get summer job 2011?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody had a summer job available for a seventeen year old student in Dublin city. I live in Greystones and go to boarding school in Gormanston, Co. Meath. I have a CV available on request. I was hoping anybody looking for somebody to work for them could reply to me with a job description. I am available for work for the summer of 2011. Does anybody have any advice on where to get summer jobs at my age?

Any replies are much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Hand out CV's would be a start, would be waiting till March mind you. Hand them everywhere and anywhere, bars, shops, etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BrosB4Hos

Well thanks for the advice and if you've any friends with a position open please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Penneys will be hiring hundreds next summer. Check penneysjobs.ie around May.

Other than that, hand in cv's everywhere you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Yeah, emigrate. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

No one is going to be hiring yet. Also, jobs aren't so plentiful that people are just going to put up jobs for you to consider. They will be harder to get than that. I worked in Arnotts one summer. They took CVs in in about March or April for starting in June. They took on lots of people just for the summer period, probably still do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

BrosB4Hos wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody had a summer job available for a seventeen year old student in Dublin city. I live in Greystones and go to boarding school in Gormanston, Co. Meath. I have a CV available on request. I was hoping anybody looking for somebody to work for them could reply to me with a job description. I am available for work for the summer of 2011. Does anybody have any advice on where to get summer jobs at my age?

Any replies are much appreciated.

If its the school I'm thinking off, my uncle teaches there :D

Did you ever think of picking strawberries - I remember there being a farm or two in that area. That or at one of the summer camps in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,183 ✭✭✭✭looksee

One nasty little trick to look out for - a pub looking for waiting staff over-hired by about 3 or 4, handed out skimpy hours in June, dragged it out for a couple of weeks, then sacked (ie, stopped giving hours to) the ones they did not want. By then it was too late to look for anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 cereal-killer

hey hey

Just came across this job when searching for myself, Guinness Storehouse in dublin is looking for summer staff. Seems like great craic but useless to me as I live in Limerick.. Anyway here's the link, think the deadline is soon

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?SID=&jobId=1495065&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=208&JobSiteInfo=1495065_208&GQId=0&partnerid=11729&siteid=208

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

Anyone thinking of going abroad for the summer? I hear Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia and all those Former Yugoslavia boys are doing alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Anyone thinking of going abroad for the summer? I hear Bosnia, Serbia, Macedonia and all those Former Yugoslavia boys are doing alright :D

It's not that easy to get jobs over there anymore. Although there are stories of people who have secured summer jobs in bars and restaurants, the competition for these jobs is quite tough. Lots of students from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Ukraine and even more countries are competing for these positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭iluvcheese92

It's not that easy to get jobs over there anymore. Although there are stories of people who have secured summer jobs in bars and restaurants, the competition for these jobs is quite tough. Lots of students from Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, Ukraine and even more countries are competing for these positions.
    Hmmm...
    I don't think it'll be possible to get work in Ireland unless you have connections. I keep getting mixed responses from people, some are sayin if you want to work abroad you need to email places in advance. Others are sayin that you just need to get over there in early May and spend a week looking about. I think I'll go with the latter option, I just don't know which country to try :confused:

Advertisement