Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Fitness Trainers

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Guys

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the golf fitness trainers in general. There seem to be a lot of TPI qualified people out there but they seem to charge crazy money (€300) for a screening/assesment.

Do you really need to spend this kind of money for someone to tell you you have poor flexibility and core strength? Has anyone paid this kind of money and what kind of golfers are they?

I just can't see the value in it at those prices.

Theres a guy in our club who is TPI qualified but I'm afraid to ask him how much he charges

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Russman

Guys

Do you really need to spend this kind of money for someone to tell you you have poor flexibility and core strength?

I think you've probably answered your own question ;)

Joking aside, I don't know too much about them. Certainly there's a benefit to being fitter, stronger etc etc (in more areas than just golf) but whether these guys have some magic formula - I dunno.

On the other hand I do know a pro who has a consistent slight fault in his technique that always baffled him and after assessing him, the TPI guys were able to tell him why he was doing what he was doing and he has excercises now to help his range of motion. Which kinda leads back to the "poor flexibility and core strength" thing anyway.

I can definitely think of better golf related uses for €300......

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

to be honest everyone's core and strength could be better but we make do. if i didnt paly any GAA i would be brutal all together core wise but could be a lot better as well as i dont stretch as much as i should.. Would never be arsed in paying for it though...

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭uptheroyals

very good trainer in kilcock called fiona healy

http://www.fitness4performance.ie/

she's golf specific, has loads of elite level golfers, €80 for the initial screen and €60 per session after that. normally get a new program every month or so and do the rest at home or in the gym yourself. Shes tpi level one but she is one of maybe 3 chek golf biomechanics coaches in the country wich is a much higher qualification than tpi. would strongly reccomend her, she is great because she has also played and won at the top amatuer level, and still plays off a very low handicap

• Registered Users Posts: 18 golfchiro

There are alot of TPI Level One certified people on the website. The level one is a qualification that all golf fitness and medical professionals must start with.

To be honest you really should see someone that has done Level 2 or preferably a level 3. Each of the the levels is a 2 day course. So 6 days in total when they complete the 3 levels. They will have alot more in depth knowledge. The Chek qualification is a 3 day course and is nowhere near as comprehensive. The TPI are the world leaders in golf fitness in health working with the best golfers in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭uptheroyals

golfchiro wrote: »
    There are alot of TPI Level One certified people on the website. The level one is a qualification that all golf fitness and medical professionals must start with.

To be honest you really should see someone that has done Level 2 or preferably a level 3. Each of the the levels is a 2 day course. So 6 days in total when they complete the 3 levels. They will have alot more in depth knowledge. The Chek qualification is a 3 day course and is nowhere near as comprehensive. The TPI are the world leaders in golf fitness in health working with the best golfers in the world.

the chek qualification is far more comprehensive? firstly its much harder to get, and secondly its much harder to keep!! you have to continually add to your qualification each year, tpi once you have it thats it. even the top tpi coaches in the country recognise the chek qualification!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭kyleman

there is a tpi instructor in portlaoise called shane lawlor and he charges80euro for screening assesment and 50 for follow ups so a lot cheaper than most of you are suggesting.my flexibility has improved greatly since working with him for about 8 months and i have also got rid of lower back and shoulder pains that have been bothering me for years previously. the downside is that you may have to book a week or two in advance as he works on fitness programmes with about 15 professionals such as p harrington,g mc dowell and r fisher among others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭oceanfish2008

kyleman wrote: »
    there is a tpi instructor in portlaoise called shane lawlor and he charges80euro for screening assesment and 50 for follow ups so a lot cheaper than most of you are suggesting.my flexibility has improved greatly since working with him for about 8 months and i have also got rid of lower back and shoulder pains that have been bothering me for years previously. the downside is that you may have to book a week or two in advance as he works on fitness programmes with about 15 professionals such as p harrington,g mc dowell and r fisher among others

Those figures you've quoted sound more realistic and affordable for most people. However I would still question the value of these screenings. Surely a gym membership with a comprehensive strength training program would do the same and/or any decent physio should be able to tell you where your physical weaknesses/limitations lie.

I just wonder how the majority of these TPI (or similar courses) qualified people can justify these prices? I find it hard to believe the average club golfer would pay what they seem to be charging. Would many top class amateurs?

While I've no doubt that the information is relevant: in terms of price it seems like a bit of a con.

Like I said in the original post I would find it hard to justify paying a few hundred euro for an hour or so for someone to tell me I have poor core strength, "go buy a swiss ball and do a few crunches, work on your glutes" regardless of their qualifications. They could have a PhD in biomechanics but it still seems crazy.

I think these folk started popping up when people had more money than sense, times have changed

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pduigee

I have an appointment with orla mc cormack in dublin next week as i got a reccommmendation to go to her. My flexibility is very poor but thats most peoples problems. Her assessment is 50euro so its worth a go to see what she can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

I go to John Kelly in St. Margarets, while predominantly there for swing coaching he is a top TPI instructor and has helped me greatly with flexibility and strengthening I had lost due to a crash injury.

I would highly recommend him.

f22 wrote: »
    I go to John Kelly in St. Margarets, while predominantly there for swing coaching he is a top TPI instructor and has helped me greatly with flexibility and strengthening I had lost due to a crash injury.

I would highly recommend him.

thats good to hear. glad you are recovering well. Just wondering is it true that it nearly always adds distance to your game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

pduigee wrote: »
    thats good to hear. glad you are recovering well. Just wondering is it true that it nearly always adds distance to your game?

I'm sure it does, but to be honest I've never really had a problem with distance. Flexibilty was/is my issue so I have to retrain myself to move the way I used to, although I'm guessing distance will inevitably improve down the line.

f22 wrote: »
    I'm sure it does, but to be honest I've never really had a problem with distance. Flexibilty was/is my issue so I have to retrain myself to move the way I used to, although I'm guessing distance will inevitably improve down the line.

cool thanls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

very good trainer in kilcock called fiona healy

http://www.fitness4performance.ie/

she's golf specific, has loads of elite level golfers, €80 for the initial screen and €60 per session after that. normally get a new program every month or so and do the rest at home or in the gym yourself. Shes tpi level one but she is one of maybe 3 chek golf biomechanics coaches in the country wich is a much higher qualification than tpi. would strongly reccomend her, she is great because she has also played and won at the top amatuer level, and still plays off a very low handicap

Heading up to this place tonight for a diagnostic session hopefully followed by a fitness programme. Been troubled with a niggly pain at centre of back in between the shoulder blades.

Heard good things so far so hopefully I can get moving in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

the lawman wrote: »
    Heading up to this place tonight for a diagnostic session hopefully followed by a fitness programme. Been troubled with a niggly pain at centre of back in between the shoulder blades.

Heard good things so far so hopefully I can get moving in the right direction.

Let us know how you get on. Would be very interested in this

Let us know how you get on. Would be very interested in this

Will do no problem at all.

So went there last night and had a diagnostic session with Maura who I have to say was excellent. Within 10 minutes she seemed to know exactly where I was having this pain and was able to start working it out.

Another session with Maura next week and then hopefully I'll start working with Fiona the golf fitness pro. and get a plan to ensure my core can handle the abuse our muscles take on the course and in practice.

Its early days for me but I'd highly recommend here if you're having any pains in your back or shoulders. I haven't felt the initial pain since I went there yesterday.

pinkdoublebeagle PM me if you want specific details as you sounded interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

the lawman wrote: »
    So went there last night and had a diagnostic session with Maura who I have to say was excellent. Within 10 minutes she seemed to know exactly where I was having this pain and was able to start working it out.

Another session with Maura next week and then hopefully I'll start working with Fiona the golf fitness pro. and get a plan to ensure my core can handle the abuse our muscles take on the course and in practice.

Its early days for me but I'd highly recommend here if you're having any pains in your back or shoulders. I haven't felt the initial pain since I went there yesterday.

pinkdoublebeagle PM me if you want specific details as you sounded interested.

Sounds Great. Will put a call in today. Thanks for the update

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

Might check this out also. My left should clicks every time I swing, very off putting. Did 6 physio sessions last year but couldn't fix it.

I have nightmares about not being able to play golf

I've been to a golf fitness instructor Fiona this week with pains across my shoulder blades. I was also having severe pain centrally on my back at the blades location after I'd play a round.

Through the session we found that my neck and upper blade muscles were over developed and that the mid and lower blade muscles were weak as a consequence of this. This is caused by bad posture over years etc etc.

The pain was caused my 'holding on' in my swing and releasing most of the power at the follow through. The blade muscle on my left side was tensing at follow through and the muscle was too weak to sustain the pressure over the 2 years I've been playing golf.

I'm now working on releasing the power at impact and shortening the follow through. I've also been given an exercise regime that will strengthen the blade muscles and also the core muscles in my back.

I really can't recommend this treatment enough as she helped with swing issues as well as muscle stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭kod12

Sorry for dragging an old thread up but trying to see is Fiona still in Kilcock but the website seems to be down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If she is not,
    https://www.facebook.com/nilsconwaygolffit/ is very good, based in Sandyford Dublin, just off the M50.

Advertisement