Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly Eagles Fly...

Options
  • 22-12-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭

So there seems to be a fair few Eagles fans on here so i thought i'd set up a thread for them.

What a mental season so far. I was all set for a 6-7 win season while Kolb developed but then we all know what happened.

Still as always i have some serious gripes with the direction the team is heading. Basically Sean McDermott needs to go! He's just awful, his play calling is so transparent. During the Dallas game i sat there calling nearly every play he called based purely on the shape of the D and the personel package in, if i can do that then what can an NFL OC do!! It's no wonder that it so often appears that the opposition offence seems to call the perfectly play.

It's unfair to rely on Vick to do what he's done so far this season when we have actually got a good chunk of talent on the D as well. No obv we can't get rid of him now but it's something that needs to be looked at during the off season.

I'm also very worried that Nate Allens career could be in trouble. Very few players come back from this kind of injury. Will be waiting anxiously to see what the surgery shows. Guy could be a real star and it'd be a huge loss if this ends him.

Anyway despite my moaning (which is prob out of place given last weekends game) this has been one hell of a ride so far, and lets hope it keeps on going all the way to dallas!! (we've won there once already lets do it again!!)

Fly Eagles Fly, on the Road to Victory!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

NFC East champs!! get in there!!

Joke that our game was put back tho. In talking with fans in philly the game could easily have gone ahead. General feeling is it's to give Brett a few more days off to recover so the NFL can grab the ratings by promoting Vick v Favre.

Nothing too surprising from the corrupt governor in philly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Nothing too surprising from the corrupt governor in philly.

Who is that, Ed Rendell?

I prob should have said Mayor since I was mainly talking about Michael Nutter. Rendell actually said the game should have been played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It was the Mayor of Philly who an emergency, not the Governor of Pennsylvania

Edit, beaten to it

So it's the Packers next week. Should be a cracker but I think it's going to be a very tough game for us. Our secondary is in ribbons right now. And the loss of Graham is going to hurt our rotation on D-line.

The big hope is that Vick can use the last two weeks to recover and come back like he did earlier in the season. I could see us being able to get a run game going with McCoy which would be a huge help, but the question as always will be if Andy actually calls any runs!!! :(

Bradley reckons he might be able to come back but i'd have my doubts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

slightly more pessimistic than me Pyjamarama.

McDermott is not a bad DC. The biggest problem we have is a weak secondary especially in Nickle and Dime situations. Defensively we are a lot better than we were last year without a doubt but then again we basically had no linebackers midway through last season !! and we have had a lot of defensive injuries aswell this year. When our D was fit McDermott did a great job with the defense and I think he can do so again.

As for Allen. Lots of players come back from the injury he has so he will be fine. He is going to have an elite NFL career. Just think we essentially got him and a 4th rounder for McNabb Quality :D:D

Biggest dissapointment for me this year has been Brandon Graham. He was a bit of a reach in the draft althought I loved the look of him especially after last years Senior Bowl and hasnt looked a first rounder before he got injured.

For me we need to trade Kolb this off season. We can still get good value for him probably a first and third or fourth for him. He dissapointed me when hes played Id much rather we developped Kafka as a backup to Vick.

D3PO wrote: »

Biggest dissapointment for me this year has been Brandon Graham. He was a bit of a reach in the draft althought I loved the look of him especially after last years Senior Bowl and hasnt looked a first rounder before he got injured.

I'd have to disagree there. The 3 DE's were pretty close on everyones big board by all accounts. Some had Pierre Paul, some had Graham and some had Morgan as the best of the 3. Wouldn't say he was a reach although I had Morgan rated as my top DE.

Graham actually did quite well this year. He did lose the starting job but that was mainly due to the fact that he was struggling against the run which is a problem a lot of rookies have. He was getting good pressure on the qb in general though. He'll obviously have to improve to justify the trade up but he showed constant improvement throughout the season.

The big dismantlement is Te'o Nesheim. Think it's safe to call him a bust already when we're bringing guys in off the streets and activating them before he even gets a look.

My problem with McDermott is that his play calling is very transparent. An awful lot of talk about him being under pressure to perform in the playoffs or he's gone.

Other news coming from philly is that the Eagles are targeting Ryan Mallett if they trade Kolb. Mallett is dropping down a ton of draft boards due to character issues (Russell has really made every team insanely cautious of taking guys perceived to be lazy). If we take him in the 2nd and sit him behind Vick i think Andy could make an excellent qb out of him. For all his flaws Reids record with qbs is exceptional!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Graham was touted as a late first rounder and we traded up to get him mid round so it was kinda a reach. Not a bg one but a reach all the same.

Ive not seen enough of Teo to write him off yet. Looked ok against Dallas last week and always wary to write off a rookie. Heck look at McFadden as a rookie versus this season for the raiders. Definatly needs to step it up though.

This is a QB talent heavy draft so I think theres definatly a deal to be done with Kolb. Reid has been amazing with QB's so I have every confidence he can do it again whilst bagging us a couple of picks on the way and reducing the wage bill by getting the 11 mill due to Kolb off the books,

Re McDermotts playcalling, its a bit transparant yes but thats because of the personnel issues we have had with injury I just dont think he was confident enough to step outside of the core packages he has in place. I think the backups showing versus Dallas especially the defense might change his thinkings for this weekend.

I think we will learn a lot about McDermott's future in this game.

D3PO wrote: »
    I think we will learn a lot about McDermott's future in this game.

agreed and i hope to god i'm wrong!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Fly Eagles, Fly....

Away home.... ;):D

• Advertisement

Andy Reid you f*ckin sap!! :(

I hate the "we're smarter than everyone" attitude of this organisation... who promotes your O-line coach to Def co-ordinator??!?!?

Pretty sure it's gonna be another year without a ring in philly. Could have picked the other team in Pennsylvania but no, i had to fall in love with the boys in green... as if being a 'Pool fan wasn't hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

Andy Reid you f*ckin sap!! :(

I hate the "we're smarter than everyone" attitude of this organisation... who promotes your O-line coach to Def co-ordinator??!?!?

Pretty sure it's gonna be another year without a ring in philly. Could have picked the other team in Pennsylvania but no, i had to fall in love with the boys in green... as if being a 'Pool fan wasn't hard enough.

In the same boat. Were going places though!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Honestly I wouldnt trade Kolb this offseason. There are still doubts over Vicks ability to stay fit through the season and Kolb isnt on particularly big money for next year so hold onto him...unless we are offered something crazy like a couple of first rounders and a third

Kolb has stated he wants to be traded if he doesn't start. I think he'll be traded and i think given the poor QB class this year and a fair few teams needing a QB that we could easily end up with a 1st and a 3rd for him. Not sure Arizona would give up their 1st though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,689 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I'm still wondering has andy reid made one daft decision too many with juan castillio becoming DC. For andys sake and the eagles organisation sake I hope juan can pull this off.

Kolb has stated he wants to be traded if he doesn't start.
    well good luck and thanks then Kevin. Kafka seems alright as a QB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm still wondering has andy reid made one daft decision too many with juan castillio becoming DC. For andys sake and the eagles organisation sake I hope juan can pull this off.

Surely you mean Juan daft decision too many?

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Surely you mean Juan daft decision too many?

:D haha.

Advertisement