Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fieldfare or Redwing?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

I had a large number of visitors (22+) to the garden this afternoon to visit the holly tree and they were happy picking off the berries.

My initial thought was that they were Redwings but they seemed a little larger (similar in size I thought to a Blackbird which makes me think they were Fieldfares?).

What would people's guess be on the visitors I had? (I didnt have the camera to hand unfortunately).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

donal2000 wrote: »
    I had a large number of visitors (22+) to the garden this afternoon to visit the holly tree and they were happy picking off the berries.

My initial thought was that they were Redwings but they seemed a little larger (similar in size I thought to a Blackbird which makes me think they were Fieldfares?).

What would people's guess be on the visitors I had? (I didnt have the camera to hand unfortunately).

What did they look like?

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Like a Thrush somewhat but orange/red along their breast which made me initially think they were Redwings. However when flying from tree to tree they had a lot of black along their back/tails. I've never seen Fieldfare's before, only Redwings.

I have been on youtube - they look a lot more like Fieldfare's that visited today. Just amazed at how many showed up to feed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Great to hear that not all Holly Trees have been hacked to death!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

plenty of redwings down my way > east clare

all the berries are nearly gone from my holly tree now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Heres a pic of each I took in my garden by cutting a hole in the side of my shed and luring them close with apples!

Redwing:
    picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=8268

Fieldfare:

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=8269

I don't know if anyone else is trying to photo these species, but you might find it useful to know that they are completely unbothered by camera flash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Thanks Half-Cocked. Great photo's :)

I think it was Redwings we had visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

plenty of redwings here in my garden in east clare, but no fieldfare..whys that? too far west?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

donal2000 wrote: »
    Thanks Half-Cocked. Great photo's :)

I think it was Redwings we had visit.

Lovely looking birds, I really want to photo one in a holly tree or some other berry tree, it would look more natural than squatting on the dirty snow in my back garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

We've had our first visit of Redwings today (in the Cork Suburbs), spotted 4 of them so far.

I've never seen them in our garden before.

Does this species usually nest in rural areas, and come to the suburbs in search of food during the cold winter months?

Did a search and found a thread where Redwings visited other watcher's gardens on Christmas day also:

http://www.birding.uk.com/forum/garden-birds/7469-redwing.html

Advertisement