Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I found 3 baby birds on my doorstep earlier this evening ...

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭

I need some advice here guys ... coming in from Christmas shopping at about 7pm this evening I noticed three balls of fulff on my doorstep behind my mat. I looked closer to see three small young birds curled up together. I was going to leave them, but thought they might die in the snow. I brought them inside and put them in a box with some water and wild bird seed and bread. They were sleeping when I checked 10 mins ago.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'm happy to keep them in the box till the weather gets warmer. Or should I set them free tomorrow morning?

Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 diddler1

hi there , i'm not sure what you can do but you might find out a bit in the link http://www.messingerwoods.org/babybirds.htm about what to feed them as you have to be carefull,hopes this helps in some way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

ToadVine wrote: »
    I need some advice here guys ... coming in from Christmas shopping at about 7pm this evening I noticed three balls of fulff on my doorstep behind my mat. I looked closer to see three small young birds curled up together. I was going to leave them, but thought they might die in the snow. I brought them inside and put them in a box with some water and wild bird seed and bread. They were sleeping when I checked 10 mins ago.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I'm happy to keep them in the box till the weather gets warmer. Or should I set them free tomorrow morning?

Advice appreciated.

Unlikely to be baby birds in December - any chance they are wrens?

Why not post a phone pic?

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Advice appreciated.

Yes, Possibly wrens. Very tough going for them. I hope they are okay. Update/pic?

Cheers,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭ToadVine

Update: One of the birds was dead this morning ... the other two were alive and seemed fine. I released them and they looked very happy and healthy as they flew away.

I feel bad that one died, but I'm sure I did the right thing as all 3 would probably have died of the cold or been eaten by cats if I'd left them on my doormat.

I think they may have been Wren's as they looked like this ... (except much smaller/younger and they had yellow/red coloring on the top of their heads) ...

wren_420x315.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Goldfinches have red and yellow and are small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Good work. 2 is better than none.

I've seen one at my feeders eating some of the fallen suet. Perhaps you could put some very small pieces of cheese or even better meal worms under the bishes in your garden if you have one.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Possibly Goldcrest's.

29465659.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Agree with top of heading marking being yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Update: One of the birds was dead this morning ... the other two were alive and seemed fine. I released them and they looked very happy and healthy as they flew away.

I feel bad that one died, but I'm sure I did the right thing as all 3 would probably have died of the cold or been eaten by cats if I'd left them on my doormat.

I think they may have been Wren's as they looked like this ... (except much smaller/younger and they had yellow/red coloring on the top of their heads) ...

wren_420x315.jpg

Sounds like goldcrests to me. They are smaller than wrens and would have the splash of colour on their heads.

They suffer badly during cold winters and will huddle in a similar manner to wrens.

Good stuff on taking them in and giving two of them a fighting chance at survival. Keep an eye out for them tonight though as they tend to return to the same area for warmth during cold snaps. I get a few that pile into the same nest box most evening with the small army of wrens that use the box to huddle in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If they were robins it would bring bad luck if you brought them into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

can you feed birds black and white pudding?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Better not tell that to my robins who think nothing of coming in for a visit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭Calibos

Whatever you do don't bring them in and put them under the stairs! Thats even worse than a ladder!!:rolleyes:

:D

Advertisement