Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology's opinion of hypnotherapy and regression?

Options
  • 22-12-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering what the general opinion is about hypnotherapy, and specifically regression therapy (if that's what it's called...not the past life stuff, but the remembering things that have been "repressed" or forgotten since childhood or so). Is it something that's got an evidence base? Is it a pseudoscience or is it something that's credible in the psychology/scientific community?

If it is a credible therapy, what qualifications should a genuine therapist of this kind hold?

I'm in the middle of a psychology undergraduate degree, but I know next to nothing about this particular area and anything I do see about it sort of beings out the skeptic in me. But I'm wondering if it's just that I'm seeing ads and articles about the not-so-genuine ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm wondering what the general opinion is about hypnotherapy, and specifically regression therapy (if that's what it's called...not the past life stuff, but the remembering things that have been "repressed" or forgotten since childhood or so). Is it something that's got an evidence base? Is it a pseudoscience or is it something that's credible in the psychology/scientific community?

If it is a credible therapy, what qualifications should a genuine therapist of this kind hold?

I'm in the middle of a psychology undergraduate degree, but I know next to nothing about this particular area and anything I do see about it sort of beings out the skeptic in me. But I'm wondering if it's just that I'm seeing ads and articles about the not-so-genuine ones.

Well with hypnotherapy there are plenty of courses around training people up, I’m open to correction but they are Dip level and occur at night/weekends. I’ll be honest and say I’m not up to date on any research. However, that is because I have no time for it as a therapeutic intervention.

As for the repressed stuff it is one of the reasons why I would not let one near my mind and advise all friends and family the same. I’m a psychoanalyst and my viewpoint would the unconscious cannot tell the difference between reality and fantasy, so how do you trust would is “uncovered”. I have uncovered what I believed to be real memories during my own analysis which never happened, and that is only through talking, Freud called them screen memories. The are plenty of cases of Flase Memory Syndrome out there. [Edit] Though to be fair I think the have learned from this experience where lots of people where producing memories of abuse, I hope so inanyway.

Have a search about the topic here as lots people often come asking for advice and one of regular posters is quite knowledgeable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Thanks for that. I did a search of the forum, and there is quite a bit about hypnotherapy but not about regression so I figured I'd ask.

It's the false memories that concerned me as well, I'd be interested to know whether or not people who do regression explain to people that we're very susceptible to "remembering" things that never happened to us. Like, if you tell a child a story, and come back a week later and ask them about the story, they'll probably tell you what happened in the story happened to them.

But anyway, thanks for the reply :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Velvety

Elizabeth Loftus is a great starting point if you want to explore the repressed memory debate.

http://cogprints.org/600/1/199802010.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hypnosis is a technique, not a therapy.

Hypnosis is a technique, not a therapy.

Whilst I have no time for it for varying reasons JC, I think some may argue that it is. Like I would say MI is a technique as it is merely an intervention, where as little as I know on the topic, I think hypnosis may be considered a therapy; if you get my point. More than open to correction on it though.

• Advertisement

Velvety wrote: »
    Elizabeth Loftus is a great starting point if you want to explore the repressed memory debate.

http://cogprints.org/600/1/199802010.html

Thanks, will have a look.

Odysseus wrote: »
    Whilst I have no time for it for varying reasons JC, I think some may argue that it is.

And "some" would argue wrongly!:p

And "some" would argue wrongly!:p

Well you know my opinion on it, my mind is too important too me to allow any of that type of therapist near it, but it could be an interesting debate. The problem is Evidence based research may not be the way to look at it, in the same way it is not a suitable tool to validate psychoanalysis.

The problem is Evidence based research may not be the way to look at it, in the same way it is not a suitable tool to validate psychoanalysis.

So, what would be the way to look at it, if not evidence based research? As in, how could the lay person decide for themselves whether or not it's a legitimate practice and whether or not it has genuine benefits? Do they look for particular qualifications that separate the "quacks" from the non-quacks etc?

So, what would be the way to look at it, if not evidence based research? As in, how could the lay person decide for themselves whether or not it's a legitimate practice and whether or not it has genuine benefits? Do they look for particular qualifications that separate the "quacks" from the non-quacks etc?

Are you asking in relation to Psychoanalysis or the other therapy? I cannot speak for the other.

• Advertisement

Are you asking in relation to Psychoanalysis or the other therapy? I cannot speak for the other.

The other. You said that evidence based research may not be the way to look at it, so I just assumed that you had other suggestions for evaluating the validity of it is all ;)

The other. You said that evidence based research may not be the way to look at it, so I just assumed that you had other suggestions for evaluating the validity of it is all ;)

I'm a psychoanalyst, but I'm guessing that some of the same diffficulties would arise, then again maybe not. As I said some of the lads here have studied it so give it a bit of time and they may have some thoughts on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Since I'm sitting here doing nothing with a flu and infected sinus I'll write as comprehensive an answer as I can. I have training in psychology, psychotherapy, and hypnotherapy and have read a lot of the hypnosis research so I suppose I view it from a variety of perspectives.

Firstly on the point about age regression - it has been the topic of the largest controversy in the history of hypnosis. A couple of decades ago there was the whole false memories issue where many clients were facilitated in confabulating "repressed" memories of childhood sexual abuse in hypnosis by some therapists.

Memory is a process, hypnosis may induce a more vivid and mulitsensory experience of remembering, but it cannot be relied on to add to the veracity of the memory. There is experimental evidence that recreating an experience of the context can improve memory of experiences which occurred in that context, but detracting from that is the reality that most people choose to be more susceptible to suggestion in hypnosis.

Its exposure was helped by the earnest release of a book written by Harvard psychiatrist John Mack in 1997 called Abduction: Encounters with Aliens, which described the recovered memories of clients who had been "abducted by aliens". Alien abduction was big in the 90s in America. It helped to highlight the nature of false memory syndrome. Psychiatrists and psychologists ended up being sued in America in the 90s for producing false memories of abuse in their therapy.

Of course in another way there are no psychotherapies which don't involve regression of sorts. A key question is what do you do with the material and how does that have an effect? To understand this I recommend looking at the work on reconsolodation and Jeffrey Ledoux's microbiological lecture on solving fear and anxiety here:
    http://www.globalpres.com/mediasite/Viewer/?peid=e35e2390cb924311af4f39df2d24d790
    And reading his paper "Preventing the return of fear in humans using reconsolidation update mechanisms":
    http://contractorlab.northwestern.edu/journalclub/Schiller%20et%20al%20%202010.pdf

This might give you some insight into what may be going on when memories of traumatic / unpleasant experiences are elicited in therapy and their emotional components permanently changed by altering the narrative in some way. So this could be one of the ways in which your average hypnotherapist *may* help.

As to the broader question of the opinion of hypnosis / hypnotherapy within psychology. Interest in and acceptance of it has ebbed and flowed over the last century. It has picked up over the past couple of decades again.

Firstly, hypnosis and its therapeutic applications are the subject of serious research in psychology. If you can get you hands on this book published this year by the American Psychological Association then you will find some of the best contemporary research and understanding of the topic, it's an excellent book:
    http://www.apa.org/pubs/books/4317205.aspx

The top academic journal is the International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis :
    http://ijceh.com/
    You may wish to take a look at the 2 special issues they published in 2007 on ‘Evidence-Based Practice in Clinical Hypnosis.’ Here is a list of the papers on that:
    http://www.rebhp.org/clinicalresearchreview.htm

Here is a British based journal:
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/%28ISSN%291557-0711

Another book I can recommend is Trancework by Michael Yapko who is a clinical psychologist with CBT leanings who utilises hypnosis in Ericksonian therapy (Milton Erickson utilised whatever resources and language a client had to guide his communicating of therapeutic concepts. You can read a fair bit of the book on Google books:
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=uYKaMWAfcewC&printsec=frontcover&dq=trancework&hl=en&ei=6oQTTa3GK8a3hAeYtpG5Dg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCkQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

The relationship between CBT and hypnosis using Ericksonian therapy is explored in this wonderful 5 part interview by Yapko of Aaron Beck in 1990:
    http://www.facebook.com/beckinstitute?v=app_2392950137

As to whether hypnotherapy is a distinct therapy. Well the European Association of Psychotherapy (a reputable organisation) recognises hypno-psychotherapy as a modality:
    http://www.hypno-psychotherapy.com/

But the whole question of what constitutes a distinct modality in psychotherapy is a question of semantics and politics. Hypnosis is clearly a technique, hypnotherapy is doing something therapeutic with hypnosis. One of the issues with describing hypnotherapy as a distinct therapy is that hypnosis has been used in conjunction with different therapies such as psychodynamic, Ericksonian, behaviour therapy, CBT, neurobiological such as psychosocial genomics (see Ernest Rossi) etc.

Some consider hypnotherapy a distinct modality, some don't. 95+% of hypnotherapists in this part of the world don't have training in any health science but they still offer "therapy" for various issues. And they can help. Does that make them therapists offering a distinct therapy? I think so. The question then is how is it used and how effective is it.

Having read the research spanning decades I am of the belief that hypnosis has something to offer. There are many mental health professionals who utilise it in psychotherapy around the world. Here are a few papers on it:
    http://www.hypnosforeningen.se/pdf/Mendoza-Capafons.pdf
    http://www.hypnose-kikh.de/content/Metaanalyse-Flammer-2004.pdf
    http://www.hypnosforeningen.se/pdf/WhatWeCanDoAJCH.pdf

Here are a couple of articles by British psychotherapist Donald Robertson on hypnosis and CBT:
    http://www.rebhp.org/articles/Hypno-CBT.pdf
    http://ukhypnosis.wordpress.com/2009/05/25/what-is-cognitive-behavioural-hypnotherapy/

In my experience most people are widely inaccurate in their understanding of what hypnosis is, including almost every lay hypnotherapist I have met. I think this little book from 1974 by psychologist Theodore Barber (who debunked the idea that hypnosis was a state) explains the phenomenology of hypnosis brilliantly and describes the experiments he did replicating the phenomenology of hypnosis through ordinary non-hypnotic induction methods.

Basically we have a much larger capacity through focused attention to construct our own experiencing of ourselves and the world than has tended to be assumed. The recent findings from the field of neurobiology in respect of neuroplasticity, what promotes neuroplasticity, and the effects of focused attention on the brain and the benefits of meditation highlight why hypnosis may be useful - it is, after all, only focused inner attention.

There is a whole minefield about lay hypnotherapists treating problems which they are not trained to treat. Now one may consider that lay hypnotherapists are not trained to treat any problem, but I'm not so sure. I think there is a niche for brief positive therapists who treat small issues such as simple phobias (such as arachnophobia or flying), quitting smoking, losing weight etc. No-one is likely to go to a psychiatrist, psychologist, or psychotherapist for those, nor do they necessarily need to.

Hypnotherapy makes very heavy use of expectancy. People who attend for it are obviously credulous about its effect, and many subscribe to the (erroneous) cultural belief that is extremely powerful stuff. You may call this the placebo effect, but I think mind-body medicine has grown over the past couple of decades to appreciate better the powerful effects of expectation. One psychologist who uses hypnosis, Irving Kirsch, calls it a "non-deceptive placebo".

But it need not be just placebo like most / all of the effect of your typical complimentary therapy. For example hypnotherapy for phobia may utilise Joesph Wolpe's reciprocal inhibition as an effective technique. Hypnotherapy for smoking cessation and weight loss may involve motivational enhancement techniques a la William Miller, and a variety of simplified cognitive and behavioural strategies.

As far as training goes in Ireland there are many who train it, all of which are private organisations / individuals whose awards are not validated by third level institutions or state accrediting bodies. There are no FETAC accredited courses. There is voluntary regulation through bodies such the Irish Hypnotherapy Association and the Institute of Clinical Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy (I don't like that the latter run a 1 year course which graduates call themselves psychotherapists after).

If you choose to train in it you will training with people who are into angels, past life regression, spiritual readings, lots of energy healers and just about every other form of pseudoscientific "therapy" and beliefs you can imagine. And that's honestly where hypnotherapy is mostly situated in this country. Your average hypnotherapist's web site is packed with utter nonsense. So there may be an issue there for you as someone who is coming from a scientific background.

Just to balance that view, I am firmly of the evidence based practice persuasion, and on the cynical side of skeptic, but I will say that the majority of hypnotherapists I've met (and I have met a lot) are very genuine and serious about providing good therapy for the issues which they deal with. If there were more mainstream training options available they would have taken them.

I hope the answer to most of your questions is in there somewhere.

Cheers Hotspur, I was wishing you pop in. I been out sick a while myself I'm starting back next week, hope you feeling better soon mate.

hotspur wrote: »

I hope the answer to most of your questions is in there somewhere.

I couldn't have hoped for a better answer, I don't think. If I could thank your post a hundred times, I would.

It's not that I'm interested in pursuing hypnosis as a career myself or anything, it's more that I've always seen a lot of hypnotherapists advertised in various media and now that I've started studying psychology I'm more interested in finding out where it fits in, if anywhere, with other psychology-related treatments.

So thank you for the very comprehensive (and useful!) reply.

The problem is Evidence based research may not be the way to look at it, in the same way it is not a suitable tool to validate psychoanalysis.

I think you'll find that many psychoanalysts have given up on that old chestnut and are now actually engaging in research. After all, if you cannot prove that what you're doing has any positive impact beyond anecdotal evidence, you're asking people to take on treatment as a matter of faith (just as many of the so-called alternative therapists do.) The ONLY rigorous method we have of evaluating data is the Scientific Method.
    Firstly, hypnosis and its therapeutic applications are the subject of serious research in psychology...................

But the whole question of what constitutes a distinct modality in psychotherapy is a question of semantics and politics. Hypnosis is clearly a technique, hypnotherapy is doing something therapeutic with hypnosis. .......

95+% of hypnotherapists in this part of the world don't have training in any health science but they still offer "therapy" for various issues. And they can help. Does that make them therapists offering a distinct therapy? I think so. The question then is how is it used and how effective is it.

I quite agree, and this is why I said hypnosis is a technique. Whether hyponotherapy has a comprehensive theory I don't know; I suspect not.

As for the second part, do you think that they are like "barefoot doctors"? Or like midwives as opposed to obstetricians?

As far as training goes in Ireland there are many who train it, all of which are private organisations / individuals whose awards are not validated by third level institutions or state accrediting bodies. There are no FETAC accredited courses. .....

tee hee, I'm surprised at that, seeing some of the FETAC accredited courses that are out there! :D
    If you choose to train in it you will training with people who are into angels, past life regression, spiritual readings, lots of energy healers and just about every other form of pseudoscientific "therapy" and beliefs you can imagine. And that's honestly where hypnotherapy is mostly situated in this country. Your average hypnotherapist's web site is packed with utter nonsense. So there may be an issue there for you as someone who is coming from a scientific background.

Just to balance that view, I am firmly of the evidence based practice persuasion, and on the cynical side of skeptic, .....

Actually, I did have a module on hypnosis and used it a couple of times, many years ago, and have no problem with it being incorporated into CBT. Anecdotally, it did lead to the fastest cure for agoraphobia I've ever seen :) within a CBT framework.

Ditto for the evidence!

Yes there would be plenty of research ongoing in Ireland, however, the focus would be theoretical research and it's implications for clinical practice; the APPI just got its own journal up and running again. However, I doubt you could apply many of the criteria required that say CBT uses as measurment tools, how can you compare years how can you compare the both in their purist forms.

Like having the capacity to spend up to years in analysis, how can you compare treatment outcomes? I'm not saying one is better than the other, just too radically different therapyies.

Yes you can look at psychoanalytic neurobiology and some of our own Irish Psychoanalyst have published in that area. However, I not sure Lacanian analysis can be measured like that it whole basis being the subjectivity of the client. If you get what I'm saying?

Have you any particular research piece in mind?

Hope that males some sense spent most of last night in Tallaght A&E last night, so I’m not the sharpest pencil in the box today. However, the family has been discharged so things are fine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kitkat.3b4t

However, I doubt you could apply many of the criteria required that say CBT uses as measurment tools, how can you compare years how can you compare the both in their purist forms.

Any topic can be researched, its just a matter of asking the right question and then designing a mechanism for gathering and analyzing data. randomized controlled studies work well when one is trying to find information that can be generalized from large groups. Case studies work well with small groups and when detailed atypical information is sought. I do realized that research does not anser all questions and often some aspects are missed in the pursuit of others, but it can give credibility and validity to a particular method. It can also highlight what does and does not work and lead to changes being made.

There is no reason why a study of psychodynamic methods should be a comparison with CBT. I'm sure psychodynamic approaches have lots of elements which could be researched in ways other than comparisons eg validity of concepts, models etc.

I dont know much about psychodynamic research, maybe there is loads out there already. If there is maybe someone could let me know where to find it.

Any topic can be researched, its just a matter of asking the right question and then designing a mechanism for gathering and analyzing data. randomized controlled studies work well when one is trying to find information that can be generalized from large groups. Case studies work well with small groups and when detailed atypical information is sought. I do realized that research does not anser all questions and often some aspects are missed in the pursuit of others, but it can give credibility and validity to a particular method. It can also highlight what does and does not work and lead to changes being made.

There is no reason why a study of psychodynamic methods should be a comparison with CBT. I'm sure psychodynamic approaches have lots of elements which could be researched in ways other than comparisons eg validity of concepts, models etc.

I dont know much about psychodynamic research, maybe there is loads out there already. If there is maybe someone could let me know where to find it.

RCTs wouldn't work imo, but even though I have a research Masters, research as in psychological is a weak point of mime. I posted a very good Lacanian paper here a while ago on PTSD and the actual nurses, if you have the time and I can find it would you read it and see what you make of it in terms of current research methods?

Could I just make one request when I speak of psychoanalysis that is what I mean, I hate that psychodynamic term it can mean anything;)

RCTs wouldn't work imo, but even though I have a research Masters, research as in psychological is a weak point of mime. I posted a very good Lacanian paper here a while ago on PTSD and the actual nurses, if you have the time and I can find it would you read it and see what you make of it in terms of current research methods?

Could I just make one request when I speak of psychoanalysis that is what I mean, I hate that psychodynamic term it can mean anything;)

If you could find that paper I would certainly like to have a look at it. I'm CBT so my knowledge of psychoanalysis is a bit limited to say the least. Sorry if I missused the term psychodyamic, but when I was studying psychology we were told to only use the term psychoanalysis when referring to Freud and to use psychodymanic when referring to others in that field (working with unconscious). Im still not sure which is which. Does psychodynamic refer to the general approach and psychoanalysis refer to specific branches?

• Advertisement

If you could find that paper I would certainly like to have a look at it. I'm CBT so my knowledge of psychoanalysis is a bit limited to say the least. Sorry if I missused the term psychodyamic, but when I was studying psychology we were told to only use the term psychoanalysis when referring to Freud and to use psychodymanic when referring to others in that field (working with unconscious). Im still not sure which is which. Does psychodynamic refer to the general approach and psychoanalysis refer to specific branches?

Just to explain my stance on it psychoanalysis refers to those who base thir work upon the work of Freud and in my case Lacan which is the only way to read Freud:), but it would include those who are drawing upon the likes of Winnicott and Klein and a few others, psychodynamic refers in my experience to people who in a lot of cases have had very little training or personal analysis, at best they only deal with what we would call prte-conscious material. We use that term as in the 24 vols of Frued he used that term only twice, it was Jung who used it nore cpmmonly, and hence responsible for its use in everyday language. I did a five year stint of anslysis during my training, and 8 years later I just started back three times a week and that could go on for a few years.

It's just me personally around certain terms another example would be we dropped the term "addiction counsellor" from our job title about five years ago, I was glad of that as it implied we only dealt with the addiction, whereas we deal with issues such as dual diagnosis, high levels of sexual abuse, criminality etc. I hope you didn't take offense, none was meant. It's just of my personal bearbugs;) I'll try find that paper now, don't worry about your knowledge of Freud and Lacan I'm interested in your thoughts around it in terms current research.

Here is that paper http://www.psychoanalysis.ugent.be/pages/nl/artikels/artikels%20Stijn%20Vanheule/Actual%20neurosis%201.pdf

It's by a chap who is well published he comes to the APPI congress most years to deliver a paper, he is a Professor of Psychology in Ghent University, but I would be interested your and others thoughts and the research aspect of it. Sorry for the delay but a mate popped around.

Here is that paper http://www.psychoanalysis.ugent.be/pages/nl/artikels/artikels%20Stijn%20Vanheule/Actual%20neurosis%201.pdf

It's by a chap who is well published he comes to the APPI congress most years to deliver a paper, he is a Professor of Psychology in Ghent University, but I would be interested your and others thoughts and the research aspect of it. Sorry for the delay but a mate popped around.

Thanks for that Odysseus. I'll have a look at it when I get a chance. Im still a little busy with festivities. Happy New Year

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭kateof

I am very cautious about regression therapy, and in particular the qualifications of the practitioner.

I trained with Paul McKenna, and use hypnotherapy very little in my practice and primarily alongside CBT.

I have had client present in my clinic after Regression Therapy (not with me!) in a traumatised state at the findings of childhood abuse etc. The findings may or may not be the case, the Client has no actual 'real' memory of the events that came up in regression, but my belief is that the Client was ill prepared for the findings, and thus the trauma, in fact very akin to PTSD. I firmly believe that any such repressed memories, deeply buried in the subconscious (to protect us), will come into the conscious plane, when and only when the client is ready and strong enough to cope with the trauma of acknowledging the events they have so successfully buried.

In conclusion, I do not recommend regression therapy, and would approach with great caution. Our mind is too precious to allow interference from well-meaning, very likely incompetent practitioners. This is my opinion, I hope I don't offend anyone.

I finally had a chance to look at it, but the fact that I dont know much about psycholanlyis makes it difficult for me to evaluate the research content, but I'll have a go.

I thought the title sounded very promising. I’m a little unsure what the terms ‘drive’ and ‘actual neurosis’ mean. Ive looked them up and although I couldn’t find any clear definitions, it seem that, from Freud’s perspective ‘actual neurosis’ is the result of infantile sexuality not being expressed in the correct way. Maybe I’ve gotten this all wrong, I find Freud very complicated.

Regarding the first hypothesis, I would say that it is widely accepted that factors such as personality type and environment play a large part in the development of anxiety disorders in general. The link between anxious/neurotic personality types and PTSD has been well established for a long time. This article didn’t deal with the genetic aspect of personality traits as much as it could have.

Findings which show memory deficits in those with PTSD are interesting. It has been shown that stress hormones can make emotionally arousing memories stronger eg. Roozendall B, Borsegyan A. & Lee. S (2008) ‘Adrenal stress hormones, amygdala activation and memory for emotionally arousing experience’. In (Eds) E. R. de Kloet, Melly S. Oitzl, Eric Vermetten. Progress in Brain Research: Stress Hormones and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Basis Studies and Clinical Perspectives, Vol 167. Elsivier : UK. A little more could have been said about neuropsychological research and its relevance to the psychoanalytical approach.

I thought it was good the way Verhaeghe and Vanheule attempted to draw a parallel between PTSD and actual neurosis. However the similarities were not made clear and the symptoms of actual neurosis sounded like a mixture of histrionic personality disorder and health anxiety. The symptoms described in the vignette sounded more like panic disorder than PTSD, there were no intrusive thoughts or flashbacks noted.

The main point of the article was that susceptibility to developing PTSD occurs in early infancy and is caused by ineffectual parenting. This is probably largely true in most cases. From a CBT perspective, the environmental factors, or genetic for that matter, which result in psychological distress, aren’t particularly relevant to treatment. What matters is enabling the client to find a way to deal with their current symptoms. However I do see how the remote past is relevant to psychoanalysis. The Freudian stuff seems very complicated but it’s good to see research in this area.

I finally had a chance to look at it, but the fact that I dont know much about psycholanlyis makes it difficult for me to evaluate the research content, but I'll have a go.

I thought the title sounded very promising. I’m a little unsure what the terms ‘drive’ and ‘actual neurosis’ mean. Ive looked them up and although I couldn’t find any clear definitions, it seem that, from Freud’s perspective ‘actual neurosis’ is the result of infantile sexuality not being expressed in the correct way. Maybe I’ve gotten this all wrong, I find Freud very complicated.

Regarding the first hypothesis, I would say that it is widely accepted that factors such as personality type and environment play a large part in the development of anxiety disorders in general. The link between anxious/neurotic personality types and PTSD has been well established for a long time. This article didn’t deal with the genetic aspect of personality traits as much as it could have.

Findings which show memory deficits in those with PTSD are interesting. It has been shown that stress hormones can make emotionally arousing memories stronger eg. Roozendall B, Borsegyan A. & Lee. S (2008) ‘Adrenal stress hormones, amygdala activation and memory for emotionally arousing experience’. In (Eds) E. R. de Kloet, Melly S. Oitzl, Eric Vermetten. Progress in Brain Research: Stress Hormones and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Basis Studies and Clinical Perspectives, Vol 167. Elsivier : UK. A little more could have been said about neuropsychological research and its relevance to the psychoanalytical approach.

I thought it was good the way Verhaeghe and Vanheule attempted to draw a parallel between PTSD and actual neurosis. However the similarities were not made clear and the symptoms of actual neurosis sounded like a mixture of histrionic personality disorder and health anxiety. The symptoms described in the vignette sounded more like panic disorder than PTSD, there were no intrusive thoughts or flashbacks noted.

The main point of the article was that susceptibility to developing PTSD occurs in early infancy and is caused by ineffectual parenting. This is probably largely true in most cases. From a CBT perspective, the environmental factors, or genetic for that matter, which result in psychological distress, aren’t particularly relevant to treatment. What matters is enabling the client to find a way to deal with their current symptoms. However I do see how the remote past is relevant to psychoanalysis. The Freudian stuff seems very complicated but it’s good to see research in this area.

I did'nt think you would write such a detailed response, fair play to you; but you see the difference in terms of research? An Irish analyst has written a great book on addiction using the concept of actual neuroses, if you are interested its by Rik Loose The Subject of Addiction. Freud moved away from the concept of actual neuroses and focused more on the psycho-neuroses, it only over the past 15 years that the above authors and others have re-visited it.

The term drive is what we read as instinct in the english versions of Freud, it was a bad translation. I write a bit more about those areas when I have a fews mins over the weekend. However, as you can see it is a different kind of research paper as oppossed to reading a CBT one with RCTs and control group etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I had read half of that paper twice before but only now read it fully. Odysseus, only a psychoanalyst could offer that paper as an example of research in psychoanalysis. It is entirely a theoretical paper.

I've read and enjoyed some of Verhaeghe's writing in the past, have had exposure to the Lacanian view of actual neurosis via Rik Lewis, have been studying modern attachment theory and research recently, and am also interested in the treatment of PTSD so I thought it was an interesting paper in many respects.

The question of non-symbolised anxiety is an interesting one. I recall that years ago I had introjected the psychoanalytic view that a panic attack was the experience of unsymbolised anxiety. But given the emergence and acceptance of Clark's cognitive therapy formulation of panic (which is incompatible which such a view) and the efficacy of the treatment using the model it now seems untenable to me that panic is unsymbolised anxiety.

But I am still sympathetic to the view of somatisation of emotional difficulties and the absence of their being integrated with higher functioning and awareness in consciousness through language as being partly determined by childhood experiences of the Other in respect of mirroring.

The thing about their paper that strikes me the most is how superfluous it is to anyone other than those who wish to strive desperately to keep Freud relevant. Making the link between what we already know about the phenomenology of PTSD and Freud's little work related to actual neurosis is only relevant to people with a restricted scope who need to have Freud relevant. Others who don't feel the need to have Freud relevant might instead be looking at the likes of interpersonal neurobiology and the work of Dan Siegel. The irony being that I think if Freud were working today I think that this is what he would be doing.

They claim early on in the paper of their hypotheses that "The relevance of our two hypotheses is mainly therapeutic." But by the end merely point out that psychoanalysis is therefore not helpful and suggest what is already accepted strategies in the varieties of therapies which are effective with PTSD.

Does anybody seriously doubt that the probability of developing PTSD after a trauma is somewhat contingent upon existing "psychic structure"? Or that such a psychic structure is somewhat contingent upon childhood development?

We know that there is a problem of integration of experience in PTSD, that implicit memory has not been converted into explicit memory, and that the most effective treatment involves ameliorating that deficit through processing of the event such as in cognitive processing therapy.

But even within this they write:
    "This approach, however, does not sufficiently emphasize the transference relationship as the operative factor. It is precisely the success or failure of installing an effective relationship with a mediating Other that decides the outcome. In this way, the treatment becomes the reestablishment of an original relationship between subject and Other in which this Other must take a supporting and a mirroring position."

Where is the evidence supporting this statement by them? They have just made a bold claim about effectiveness and outcome of therapy with PTSD clients. I think it is fair in this context of you providing this paper as an example of research in psychoanalysis for me to highlight this statement by them which is explicitly a question of efficacy that they don't provide a shred of research evidence for. In fact I think I could make a very good argument using empirically supported treatments for PTSD that such transferential mirroring is not at all necessary for the effective treatment of PTSD.

Now such mirroring may possibly help to inoculate them against experiencing such things in the future (requires research), but that is a very different matter from treating the existing issue.

Now I should say that I understand that this paper was published in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy and therefore it is relevant to its target audience. They are letting psychoanalysts know that their classical techniques will not be effective with "actual neurosis" clients. But that this advice is entirely based on theorising is exactly why many people have limited respect for the opinions of the field. It is actually a great paper in highlighting the deficiency of psychoanalysis in respect of reliance on research and evidence.

I hope this doesn't come across as overly harsh. If so I wish to blame it on a somatisation disorder involving my fingers. I think I'll call it "actual narkiness". Another one for our nosological lexicon :)

I had read half of that paper twice before but only now read it fully. Odysseus, only a psychoanalyst could offer that paper as an example of research in psychoanalysis. It is entirely a theoretical paper.

I've read and enjoyed some of Verhaeghe's writing in the past, have had exposure to the Lacanian view of actual neurosis via Rik Lewis, have been studying modern attachment theory and research recently, and am also interested in the treatment of PTSD so I thought it was an interesting paper in many respects.

The question of non-symbolised anxiety is an interesting one. I recall that years ago I had introjected the psychoanalytic view that a panic attack was the experience of unsymbolised anxiety. But given the emergence and acceptance of Clark's cognitive therapy formulation of panic (which is incompatible which such a view) and the efficacy of the treatment using the model it now seems untenable to me that panic is unsymbolised anxiety.

But I am still sympathetic to the view of somatisation of emotional difficulties and the absence of their being integrated with higher functioning and awareness in consciousness through language as being partly determined by childhood experiences of the Other in respect of mirroring.

The thing about their paper that strikes me the most is how superfluous it is to anyone other than those who wish to strive desperately to keep Freud relevant. Making the link between what we already know about the phenomenology of PTSD and Freud's little work related to actual neurosis is only relevant to people with a restricted scope who need to have Freud relevant. Others who don't feel the need to have Freud relevant might instead be looking at the likes of interpersonal neurobiology and the work of Dan Siegel. The irony being that I think if Freud were working today I think that this is what he would be doing.

They claim early on in the paper of their hypotheses that "The relevance of our two hypotheses is mainly therapeutic." But by the end merely point out that psychoanalysis is therefore not helpful and suggest what is already accepted strategies in the varieties of therapies which are effective with PTSD.

Does anybody seriously doubt that the probability of developing PTSD after a trauma is somewhat contingent upon existing "psychic structure"? Or that such a psychic structure is somewhat contingent upon childhood development?

We know that there is a problem of integration of experience in PTSD, that implicit memory has not been converted into explicit memory, and that the most effective treatment involves ameliorating that deficit through processing of the event such as in cognitive processing therapy.

But even within this they write:
    "This approach, however, does not sufficiently emphasize the transference relationship as the operative factor. It is precisely the success or failure of installing an effective relationship with a mediating Other that decides the outcome. In this way, the treatment becomes the reestablishment of an original relationship between subject and Other in which this Other must take a supporting and a mirroring position."

Where is the evidence supporting this statement by them? They have just made a bold claim about effectiveness and outcome of therapy with PTSD clients. I think it is fair in this context of you providing this paper as an example of research in psychoanalysis for me to highlight this statement by them which is explicitly a question of efficacy that they don't provide a shred of research evidence for. In fact I think I could make a very good argument using empirically supported treatments for PTSD that such transferential mirroring is not at all necessary for the effective treatment of PTSD.

Now such mirroring may possibly help to inoculate them against experiencing such things in the future (requires research), but that is a very different matter from treating the existing issue.

Now I should say that I understand that this paper was published in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy and therefore it is relevant to its target audience. They are letting psychoanalysts know that their classical techniques will not be effective with "actual neurosis" clients. But that this advice is entirely based on theorising is exactly why many people have limited respect for the opinions of the field. It is actually a great paper in highlighting the deficiency of psychoanalysis in respect of reliance on research and evidence.

I hope this doesn't come across as overly harsh. If so I wish to blame it on a somatisation disorder involving my fingers. I think I'll call it "actual narkiness". Another one for our nosological lexicon :)

You not coming across narky mate, it would come under the heading of theoretical research within psychoamalysis, so as you said only a psychoanalyst would see it as that. You raised some interesting points and I get back to you on them as I'm too tired for it now. However, thanks for your usual insightful post:)

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

I’m a psychoanalyst .

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was just wondering how do you go about training/studying to become a psychoanalyst?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
Advertisement