Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion issue

Options
  • 21-12-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this query but I couldn't find one devoted to business law (and a search of google hasn't been of much help).

Anyway, my problem concerns the vacant assistant managers position that currently exists within the company that I work for. As the longest serving sales assistant I had considered myself a certainty for this role but two issues in particular have been brought to my attention that may undermine my position.

1. A colleague of mine has declared that he wishes to be considered for the position.

2. I took a 4-month sabbatical earlier this year and since my return (in Sept) I have yet to officially renew my contract.

At the moment, I am currently performing most of the duties and responsibilities of the assistant manager (and have been doing so since the vacancy arose in mid-Oct) without any increase in pay or official promotion.

My concern is that this situation will continue on with me doing extra work for no reward and, worse, that the position would ultimately go to someone else. So, I would be very grateful if someone could answer a number of legal questions I have regarding this issue:

Can an employer simply promote someone of their choosing without considering/interviewing another and/or advertising the position externally?

Has my colleague's declaration of interest created a legal requirement for my employer to interview him for the position? And do I now need to declare my interest?

Is there a law governing the length of time that such a position can go unfilled?

I would greatly appreciate any insight into any of the above.
    Thanks in advance
    max

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Yes. No. No. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭Shelflife

as Jo said above but you might want to declare your interest so that they cant say that you never said you were interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I agree with the above posts

Talk to the person responsible and state you are enthusiastic and interested and would like to be considered.

They might not hold interviews but if they do, you'll be contacted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Shouldn't the answers be yes, yes, no and no?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would be very grateful if someone could answer a number of legal questions I have regarding this issue:

From the charter:

6. Legal Advice
    Do not ask for Legal Advice here. Consult your Solicitor.

Sorry OP, we can discuss things here, not give legal advice.

Thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement