Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started new job, got pnemonia and now work unreachable

Options
  • 21-12-2010 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Recently started a new job in Santry, living near Blanchardstown after being on the dole for a few months.

Attended three days last week on Friday started to feel very ropey, had problems with cough and breathing and feeling cold all the time, and struggling for breath and wheezing and crackling in lungs. Went to doctor at the weekend and he gave me treatment for pneumonia and said he would certify me off until this Thursday. I asked him if he could certify me for a shorter period of time, as work said during induction that it was important we did not miss much training. So doctor agreed to certify me to be able to return on Wednesday.

Called work Monday, told them the situation, did not seem to happy, work called me back today and basically told me I have to come in today, I relayed that my doctor told me not to leave the house because it will make my condition worse and I also have a cert and went to the doctor at earliest possible chance. Boss then said that i would miss the training and therefore I couldn't do the job as I wouldn't be able to pass the exam at the end of it. I turned around and said that as I had experience in this role for a number of years in other companies, I feel confident I could pick up on what I have missed and will take extra time to catch up. The first three days of training I had, i learned absolutely nothing that I didn't already know. He said I would have to come in on Wednesday and we would have to talk about it then.

Now I see on the Dublin Bus site, all the buses from Dublin Airport to Santry (16/41) are now not serving Santry. I normally get the urbus from Blanchardstown to Dublin Airport (Which is not running tonight) then the 16/41 to Santry, as it's quicker than going all the way into the city centre on a 38/39 and back out again on the 16/41. Now I am worried that I cannot get into work in the morning, and if I do so, I will be very late and they are just going to go crazy at me for it, even though it is none of my fault. All my boss said today was basically I have to come in and they don't seem bothered that I am really suffering over the last few days, and even got my doctor to change the cert from what he recommended in order to try and make them happy.

Really what can I do? I don't want to get the sack, and can't afford Taxi's to work, as they are not going to pay me until the end of January, as December payroll was processed before I started :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

What a disaster, I really feel sorry for you, but from their point of view, then are being let down.

If you are certified you may not be covered under their insurance to work. Have you handed in your cert, any company with a half decent HR dept wouldn't chance this.

They would be within their rights to let you go. I know this would be a disaster for you but according to them you cannot complete your contract due to your health. They could argue that it would be too expensive ect to train you later. You may know your stuff but they just want the signed sheet in your file!

Do you know anyone you could get a lift with in the morning? Are you making 8am, does this mean you have 1 hr from the earliest bus to the time you are to be in work? is this even possible.

The fact you are worrying about this shows you value this job,you have to make sure your manager knows this.

Try your best to go to work tomorrow, hand in your cert to HR or your manager, politely point out that you are still certified with pneumonia. Do your best and if you have to go home sick again ..go.

Try get some sleep!

Advertisement