Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire

Options
  • 21-12-2010 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    We're flying into Memmingen and skiing in Austria.
    Any advice on car rental?
    There will be 4 of us
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

There are only a couple of car hire desks at that airport. Where in Austria you headed and when? The traffic round Munich can be brutal at times so you want to take into account the time it could take you to get to/from the airport.

Normally I would go for car hire but last time I flew back from Memmingen it took hours to get back and 2 of us missed the flight.

Train could be a better option. Book in advance for decent prices and a quick transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

San Anton - 2 hour drive hopefully.
    Train isnt an option i think
    http://www.st-antonamarlberg.co.uk/getting_to_st_anton.html

Car hire is prob for the best

http://www.autoeurope.com/car.cfm
    Looks good - around 500dollars for a golf wagon.
    Is there an option to get snow tyres i wonder? Cant exactly see it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Try carhire3000.ie

Generally far cheaper that anyone else.

Just got a great deal with carhire3000.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Yea they're great.

They use Hertz, Argus, Budget etc, so the cars you get are always perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Try www.autoeurope.ie

I've a quote for €290 for the week for a Skoda Octavia estate from Zurich. Not bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭k123456

If you are AA member 10% Hertz bookings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Hey just a quick heads up all cars in Germany will require Winter Wheels on them to avoid a hefty fine I am pretty sure Bavaria is one of the regions that require this.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

^ true and with our car from Memmingen they stung us for extra at the desk so be aware you might have to fork out more. Check the t+c`s of your car hire arrangement.

Its such a scam though as probably all their cars have winter tyres on so if you said no thanks I dont want a car with them on you would probably get one anyway. So annoying but unless you want a hefty fine and dealings with the German cops then you have to pay up!!

• Advertisement

Guys, does anyone know about Ryanair's deal with Hertz?
    We're flying Ryanair and apparently there's a 20% discount if you book through them. But I tried to do this through the Ryanair site and it just sends me to hertz normal site as soon as i select Germany.

Is this just a cod?
    Is it possible to get this discount at all?

Thanks

Fattes wrote: »
    Hey just a quick heads up all cars in Germany will require Winter Wheels on them to avoid a hefty fine I am pretty sure Bavaria is one of the regions that require this.

On carhire3000 they generally include a 'winterisation' fee for the tyres. You can always give them a buzz and make sure either way, nothing worse than being stung for extra charges when your collecting.

Actually ringing to make a booking can be good as you can try blag a free excess waiver or a bit off the price.

Advertisement