Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse home needed

Options
  • 21-12-2010 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

I hope someone out there can help me.I am trying to rehome a Female horse.I dont know much about horses.The horse was left in a local field and not been fed , only for me going over with some hay and nuts each evening.I live in an estate and would love to find someone who could give the horse a loving home,The ISPCA will not help and the police wont do anything.

Really hope if someone could give advice or help.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Your best bet is to try and find the landowner and contact the owner that way. How do you know the mare isn't being fed? Also where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Where are you?

I've just seen that you also post in the Waterford forum, have you tried here:

http://waterfordanimalwelfare.com/id26.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dermo f

The land onwner does not own the horse and is willing to let the horse staY there a few more weeks until I get a home.It has no shelter.

I am up in Kildare.

Thanks for the links

When you say it's not his do you mean it been dumped there? Try the Irish Horse Welfare Trust, they are full to capacity but make sure you explain fully that the mare has been dumped there with no source of food or shelter. Does she have constant access to water? This is much more important than food.

http://www.ihwt.ie/site/?page_id=187

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Sorry to hear about the horse.

Do you have any more details such as,
    - who is the owner
    - does the owner want to give it away
    - can you get its passport (other wise it is illegal to transport)
    - what height, breed, age is the horse

Sorry to sound pedantic I hate to think of a horse in need, The reason I ask is because my cousin is thinking of adopting a companion horse for her gelding. So if she where to seriously consider helping this horse all the above factors would be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

OP, in order for the horse to have a passport it needs to be microchipped, have you had a vet out to scan it for a chip? If it has a chip then the owner can be traced and held accountable for abandoning the horse.

By law all horses must be chipped and passported but alot are not.

EGAR wrote: »
    OP, in order for the horse to have a passport it needs to be microchipped, have you had a vet out to scan it for a chip? If it has a chip then the owner can be traced and held accountable for abandoning the horse.

By law all horses must be chipped and passported but alot are not.

This only came into force in July 2009, horse's born presented for identification before that may well have a passport but no microchip. My own horse is still a young horse and came to me with passport and no chip, completely legal. It would depend on who the horse was registered with as some bodies insisted on microchips before this came in.

From the department of agriculture's site:
    Q. My horse already has a passport issued by an approved issuing body before 1st July 2009; does he now need to be micro-chipped?
    A. No, only horses presented for identification for the first time after 1st July 2009 need to be micro-chipped as part of the identification process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes, I know that but A LOT of young untrained stock is being dumped and there is a slim chance that the mare/filly in question may be chipped. I've got 3 horses born before 2009 and they were MC'd as a foal ;) (not by me).

EGAR wrote: »
    Yes, I know that but A LOT of young untrained stock is being dumped and there is a slim chance that the mare/filly in question may be chipped. I've got 3 horses born before 2009 and they were MC'd as a foal ;) (not by me).

Thought I better clarify just in case the unlikely senario arrises that 'owner' emerges from the woodwork with passport in hand!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Don't mean to pull up an old post but did you ever find a home for this mare?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dermo f

Kalina wrote: »
    Don't mean to pull up an old post but did you ever find a home for this mare?

Hi Kalina

Yep we found a home for her yesterday. :D

Advertisement