Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Cards for Neighbours

Options
  • 21-12-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Who gives the neighbours a crimbo card? I live in a semi d and after 2 years of knocking in complaining about the noise my neighbours who i dont really talk to dropped in an xmas card through the letter box about 9pm xmas eve. Next time i saw them i was like ehhh hi. Didnt know what to say i couldnt drop one back cos i didint have any. So I just never said anything. I have neigbours on the other side i just know to say hi i dont even know the couples name, when i try to make a bit of convo they are quite short with me. Do people give their neighbours cards? Should I even if i dont know them that well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

no not if you don't know them and they don't talk to you.

it sounds terrible - having neighbours like that

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

ok they dont "not talk to me" i would call it we pass each other. No such thing as nice weather any news just "Hi how ya doing" from afar or if drivin by a quick light flash. But nothing more. I wasnt going to bother givin a card but my mam says " you should ALLWAYS keep in with the neighbours yall never know when you will need them"

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

We exchange cards with a few of our neighbours - was surprised the first year we moved here when we got 6 or 7 cards from the 10 houses on our road as nobody did that in our old estate. It's nice really, but if you don't feel comfortable about it with neighbours you barely know then just don't reciprocate and it will fizzle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

our first christmas in our new home and the neighbours dropped card in the letterbox last week. I'm popping over with a card and selection box for the kiddie tomorrow.

I think it's a lovely gesture on their part and it'll look like you want nothing to do with them if you don't reciprocate IMO!
    nice individual chritmas cards in dunnes for a euro;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

tbh it's up to yourself and if you feel you want to. Some people just don't do christmas cards, even with friends.
    We'd be pretty friendly with a good few neighbours but we don't exchange christmas cards. One or two Used to, and we might give one back if they did.
    But it's different with each group of people I think.

Op it could have been that they were making a nice gesture if you've had to complain about noise etc before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

If you consider them friends or they have given you one, then it's only polite to send 'em an old Christmas card. Buy a pack of small ones for such jobs. No one likes a Scrooge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    If you consider them friends or they have given you one, then it's only polite to send 'em an old Christmas card. Buy a pack of small ones for such jobs. No one likes a Scrooge ;)
    lmao, I know that was probably a freudian slip but the image of you giving them a card with 2009 crossed out and 2010 written over it literally has me in stitches here :D

Advertisement