Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landcruiser battery

Options
  • 21-12-2010 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

hi folks,
    Just wondering if any of ye may be able to help me out. I've a 04 3L D4D Landcruiser, with battery issues. The battery itself is fine(2yrs old) and i had it checked last week, no problems apparently with it. Allowing for the cold weather, its still not starting too healthily and has taken to cutting off completely when i try start it some times. All power goes, no lights on dash and no feedback from the engine-followed by me poking at the wires for a second and everything comes back into play and engine starts---all the connections seem fine, are clean and tight, and to be honest my messing with the wires is probably doing nothing, just wondering if any of ye might be able to point out what it might be. I'm too busy to get to a mechanic at the moment but i'll have one look at it after christmas but in the meantime if ye have any advice bout how to fix this it'd be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I'd say you have bad connections somewhere, maybe the engine earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Stitch09

anything i can do to sort this out simply or would i better off/can i start to chase down wires or etr someone to look at it for me?:confused: I took the wires off the battery a few days a go and cleaned off the connections, put vaseline on them and reconnected, but like i said that not helping any.
    Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

No it sounds to me that since you lose everthing,its more like a main thick cable like some part of the positive lead to the batt, or as I said before maybe the earth from the engine to body or from battery to engine/body depending on the arrangement.Maybe try to remove some of them and clean them up and put back on again.

I'll try and get it checked out before the break so if i can find the time/someone still available to have a look for me.
    Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Put a jump lead direct from the neg terminal on the battery to a metal point on the engine. If this solves your problem it means the vehicles earth lead may be at fault

• Advertisement

will give that a shot this evening, thanks, i reckon must be the earth alright, nothing else seems to add up.
    Thanks!!

Meant to get back before and say thanks again. It was the earth causing the problems as suggested, wire was broken. The battery clamp had been removed at some stage before i got my hands on it so i didn't realise it was missing :o , letting the battery slide around too much under braking which probably caused the problem in the first place, so got a clamp rigged up to hold it in place. Starting fine again now. :D

Advertisement