Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 Nations Cycle August 2011

Options
  • 21-12-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Just came across this and am considering it as a target for 2011 but am wondering how realistic it would be for someone in their mid 40s. Although I haven't kept a running total I have cycled over 6000 kms in 2010. Would I be able to keep up with quicker, fitter riders? I normally average from 24-27 kph.

http://www.5nationscycle.com/

Basically it's a 600 mile trek for charity starting in Cardiff then heading north to England's Lake District and Scotland before crossing on the ferry to Larne and down to Dublin.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,596 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You'll be fine assuming you prepare well. Age should not be an issue (indeed, assuming you are in good health, you will probably find your endurance improves with age)

If you're doing 24-27kph alone, you will be able to go faster in a group. However the FAQs suggest you will be spending 8-9 hours a day in the saddle, which is well within your current pace

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

"The Great British ride", in "the British Isles" and finishing in Dublin - is it just me or is that a bit insensitive?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

"The Great British ride", in "the British Isles" and finishing in Dublin - is it just me or is that a bit insensitive?
    Ireland is part of the British Isles ... what's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Ireland is part of the British Isles ... what's the problem?

I like 'Atlantic Archipelago' meself.

This sounds like an interesting event. Have been looking for an excuse to do something in the Lake District.

Off topic, but does anyone know about any good Sportives next year near York/North Yorkshire?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭setanta159

The type of attitude that makes Ireland such an awesome place to live :rolleyes: You do realise it is for a charity that supports kids with cancer..ermm Happy Xmas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I always preferred IONA, myself - Islands of the North Atlantic

or the "Pretanic Isles" or the Anglo-Celtic Isles.......

Anyway aside from that nonsense, it looks like a good event, but the charity doesn't seem to operate in 3 of the green fields - only on the "mainland" and in the Province :)

There's always Barretstown........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

There's already an island of Iona, off the west coast of Scotland. So the sweaty socks beat you to that one....

Problem with a lot of these organised charity rides is usually approx 15% max of the money raised actually gets to the charity - Worth checking first if the charity is your motivation for participating.

Seems like a good idea all the same, instead of moaning about it, why not steal/borrow/use the principle and organise an event to raise cash for Barrettstown? A 26 counties, a 32 counties or a 4 province ride? (The latter could be done in a dayor two!)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Seems like a good idea all the same, instead of moaning about it, why not steal/borrow/use the principle and organise an event to raise cash for Barrettstown? A 26 counties, a 32 counties or a 4 province ride? (The latter could be done in a dayor two!)

Have to agree on most of that post, I don't know how much of the money makes it to the charity or not in this instance. I think it would be hard to raise money for a British charity in Ireland.

If you approach any charity and say, me and my mates are going to raise some money for you, they'll generally bite your hand off and if they don't they're not worth doing it for. A few guys on here, myself included, did multi-day spins this year for charities that we designed ourselves and with sites like mycharity it makes it so easy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Have to agree on most of that post, I don't know how much of the money makes it to the charity or not in this instance. I think it would be hard to raise money for a British charity in Ireland.

From the site:
    CLIC Sargent will pay the organisers Action Challenge for the cost of your place on the event, and this does not represent more than 40% of the minimum sponsorship figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

That statement about the 40% is a bit ambiguous, and not exactly in simple language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CLIC Sargent

Hi Everyone,
    I noticed a few of you had questions about the ride itself and the charity, so i thought i'd pop on and give you some more details :).

We initially set the costs/income to CLIC Sargent from this event, at 40% costs and 60% income, which is something we try and set for all our challenge style events to ensure as much as possible comes to fund our services. We're really transparent about costs/income as it's important for our supporters to see exactly how much of their fundraising goes where.

We did however feel that asking people to raise around £2000 sponsorship for this event was too high, so we dropped it to £1800 instead. This means that with the ride costs per person set at £849, CLIC Sargent will receive £951 from each person's minimum sponsorship of £1800 - giving a 47% cost/53% income ratio. This info does need to be updated on the organisers website and i've been in touch today to get this done asap.

In terms of the charity itself and our presence locally to you, we have funded a social worker at Our Lady's Children's Hospital, Crumlin, and families in border counties may be supported by CLIC Sargent in Northern Ireland as well, if their child has to be treated at an oncology centre in the North.

Please give me a shout on 0117 311 2636 or beverley.mackenzie@clicsargent.org.uk if you want to chat about the ride, want more info on the charity, where we operate, who we help and what your sponsorship would fund - i'm happy to help.

It's going to be a great event and we'd love to welcome you to the 2011 5 Nations team!

Kind regards Bev, Challenge Events Manager, CLIC Sargent (www.clicsargent.org.uk)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Very tempted even though Mrs Fowl has just this moment told me to eff off :rolleyes:

Advertisement