Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Macs, Two Problems

Options
  • 21-12-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

I've two Macs and I've got problems with them both!

1 My three month old iMac suffered screen burn recently. I noticed the black patches on it two weeks ago and Apple are currently swapping out the LCD monitor. However, what could have caused this? I didn't bother using SMC fan control as it seemed to run at a relatively cool temperature. Should I? My Mac is near a radiator and a electro-plasma lamp*. Could either of these have caused the burn?

2 The keyboard on my MacBook occasionally freezes. It normally happens when I switch between spaces. The spaces icon stays on screen but my computer doesn't respond to button presses. I don' think it's a hardware issue because the function keys (ie adjust brightness , volume etc) still work and the keys eventually come back to life.

Any ideas?

* Weirdly when I turn this on near my laptop, the trackpad stops working properly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

silvine wrote: »
    I've two Macs and I've got problems with them both!

2 The keyboard on my MacBook occasionally freezes. It normally happens when I switch between spaces. The spaces icon stays on screen but my computer doesn't respond to button presses. I don' think it's a hardware issue because the function keys (ie adjust brightness , volume etc) still work and the keys eventually come back to life.

Sounds like an OS issue. Its annoying and usually difficult/impossible for a user to fix. If you run Activity Monitor is it visible while switching between Spaces? If so you might be able to identify which process is hanging.

If you're feeling adventurous you could install the dev tools and run Spin Control. That will also help to identify hanging processes. Its possible that one of your applications uses a kext that's causing the kernel to hang. If so you can nuke it. If its an OS issue its unlikely you can do much about it.

Also make sure all your software is up to date. Run Onyx too (google it), it clears out a lot of caches and you might see a performance improvement when its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Cheers. Will try that. I've also been using third party beta software like Hyper Dock and Total Finder (it's always been buggy). That might be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I used to use a second Mac at work, and encountered the keyboard freezing issue every 10-12 weeks after upgrading to Snow Leopard. I know of at least one other person who encountered it as well. Never happened on my home machine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've never had this problem with an iMac. Not sure why it's happening.

Advertisement