Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

I was just reminded about the PC game "Thief" from the scariest game thread.

Anyone else think these games were really really good?

I'm actually thinking of reinstalling Thief 3 when I go home!

Thief 4 is currently under development at Eidos-Montreal.

Probably talking a couple years before release, but how awesome is that gonna be :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Thief 1 and 2 are the best games ever in my opinion!

3 was good, but wasn't on par the original two, but the quality of The Cradle level made up for it.

As for Thief 4, I heard they might be doing a modern day retelling of the same story, sounds good, but I'd love to see more of Garret.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Tried and tried and tried to get into these games and just never could.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played the first game only a few weeks ago. Absolutely amazing I have to say, one of the best games I've ever played. Took a while to get into because the game is far more difficult than modern games and it took a while to get used to the non-linear level design but once I did it was one of the best gaming experiences ever.

It was extremely difficult alrite when it was set to Expert!

Non-linear level design. I miss it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Compared to the first two, Thief 3 was technically a letdown (No rope arrows? No swimming? Levels split up into chunks instead of sprawling massive levels? F*ck you, XBox.)

Thief 3 was still a damn good game, with a fine story and some cracking missions, but it suffered from the limitations imposed upon it. Thief 1 and 2 run rings around it in terms of open-ended maps, clever gadgets, and real challenge.

I must play through them again soon. Thief is how a stealth game should be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Thief 1 and 2 are the best games ever in my opinion!

3 was good, but wasn't on par the original two, but the quality of The Cradle level made up for it.

As for Thief 4, I heard they might be doing a modern day retelling of the same story, sounds good, but I'd love to see more of Garret.
    A modern day version of Thief would be be very cool!

But I agree, Garret was a great character! Would be a shame to lose him!

Einstein wrote: »
    A modern day version of Thief would be be very cool!

But I agree, Garret was a great character! Would be a shame to lose him!

Its very hard to know what they will do with Thief 4.

Garrets story comes full circle at the end of the 3rd game, so unless its a remake or retelling in a different setting, I doubt we will see him as the main character.

But definitely they should go back to the level design of Thief 1 and 2, huge mazes of buildings and castles, and crypts.

I think the only level I didn't like was The Bank level in Thief 2, too many mechanist's and their machines for my liking in that level.

I loved the undead levels in the 1st game, they were great, especially when you had to go to Old Town, that was terrifying to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

CKWPORT wrote: »
    Its very hard to know what they will do with Thief 4.

Garrets story comes full circle at the end of the 3rd game, so unless its a remake or retelling in a different setting, I doubt we will see him as the main character.

But definitely they should go back to the level design of Thief 1 and 2, huge mazes of buildings and castles, and crypts.

I think the only level I didn't like was The Bank level in Thief 2, too many mechanist's and their machines for my liking in that level.

I loved the undead levels in the 1st game, they were great, especially when you had to go to Old Town, that was terrifying to play.
    Aww man,..

I'm SOOO installing this again over xmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

*sigh*
    If only I could get 1 & 2 to work on window 7....
    Tried everything...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Damn, I haven't played these games since the days of my old Gateway PII machine! Great stuff they were.

Used to love clobbering the butler (or chef) in the castle unconsicious as he had a panzy voice. I'd pick him up and throw him into the fire where you'd hear him moan and groan while not moving at all :pac:

I have Win 7 64-Bit so I know I'm going to have a hell of a time getting it working if I ever went back to it (which I want to, now that this thread has cropped up :D )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,869 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Krieg wrote: »
    *sigh*
    If only I could get 1 & 2 to work on window 7....
    Tried everything...

It does work. You just have to tinker with it. I've some links in my blog review on how to get the two games working:

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2010/09/thief-dark-project.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It does work. You just have to tinker with it. I've some links in my blog review on how to get the two games working:

Ive tried on 3 separate occasions with no luck.
    But fourth times a charm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭wench

Excellent games, but life would have been a lot easier if Garret would have used some of his ill gotten gains to buy some rubber soled shoes!

Then there were all the great fan made missions for it too:
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/
    http://www.thiefmissions.com/search.cgi?search=&sort=rating#m
    http://www.keepofmetalandgold.com/komagdvds.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Fantastic game. Was playing the first one there a few months ago, having never finished it, but my computer died so that was the end of it. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Whoa, nearly as many hoops to jump through as installing SS2, I recall reading before that they shared the same gaming engine so that would probably explain it.

To my eternal shame I haven't played any of the Thief series (yet) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

1998 was when i got my first gaming pc.

Thief was one of the first games i played on it and how i love / loved it.

Off the top of my head Deus Ex, Thief and System shock were / are 3 of my favourite games of that time.

I am installing Thief - The dark project gold now as i had forgotten about it and want to relive my fond memories of 12 years ago

Not gonna try getting Thief 1 and 2 to run on my PC, so gonna chance getting a copy of Deadly Shadows on ebay and play it on the 360.

Looking forward to The Cradle!!!!!

With a small amount of effort you can get Thief 1 and 2 to run on any PC. I got it running perfect on my windows 7 machine.

Call me lazy but I think I just wanna play it on the TV with the surround sound while stretched on the couch.

Thief 1 and 2 are far superior games, but I only have a laptop now, no gaming PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Just after playing and finishing the Shalebridge Cradle (Thief 3) for the first time. I was ****ting bricks throughout! Fantastic level

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I got the boxed set with the 3 games in it for only around 5-6 euro a couple of months ago. Only spent about an hour playing the first one though. Must go back and give it a proper go.

There are a few fixes to get it running on vista and win7 if you google it. I was able to get mine running properly but i can't for the life of me remeber how.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Does T3 work ok on windows 7 x64?
    I loved it back in 2004.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

1 & 2 were two of the best games i've ever played.

3 was such a huge let down, much like deus ex 2. dumbed down for the consoles for more profit.

must try fish out my copies of 1 & 2 again.

1 & 2 were two of the best games i've ever played.

3 was such a huge let down, much like deus ex 2. dumbed down for the consoles for more profit.

must try fish out my copies of 1 & 2 again.

It was a different studio as well, had TTLG not gone under, who knows what kind of Thief 3 game we might have got. Pity.

But at least it had The Cradle, that redeemed the game for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

remember playing the demo shipped with a pc gamer mag for thief 1 and ended up buying it back in the day, awesome game. was pretty spookey too! must give it another go soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

I was looking around for maybe a reskinned Thief and came across http://www.thedarkmod.com/

according to the FAQ

The Dark Mod is a total conversion mod for Doom 3, which recreates the moody stealth experience reminiscent of the 'Thief' games from Looking Glass Studios.

anyone ever play it? it definitely sounds good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

eyerer wrote: »
    Does T3 work ok on windows 7 x64?
    I loved it back in 2004.

Yep, works for me anyways. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I loved all 3 thief games, I think 1 and 2 were the best. So immersive. must dust off the old copies and have a game. Hope they run on 64 bit Win7...

Advertisement