Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow shovels????

Options
  • 21-12-2010 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Loving this forum, thanks to all the experts, only place for weather updates....

A bit of pressure from our estate board to keep our paths clear......anyone know where I can get a good snow shovel in south Dublin.....my spade is brutal? Mental snow here again in Rathfarnham.

Woodied/homebase etc dont seem to have them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 RosieP

B&Q in Liffey Valley had two types last weekend - wooden handled and metal handled. Got one of the wooden handled ones, it cost about €9.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Atlantic Homecare beside the Northside Shopping Center had shovels just like the white ones in the picture.
    They were the same colour and as far as I can see the same brand.
    They are wider than the standard shovel but I was looking more for the blue ones in the image that you use to push the snow along rather than lifting it.
    Other stores like Woodies were sold out of any kind of shovel since the last snowfall.PA100805.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Anybody know any DIY shops that'll stock these in the city centre/Grand Canal Dock area?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

Smyths Providers on the Greenhills Road had them advertised on a sign outside last week, don't know what stock they'd have left by now though

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

If your local DIY store is sold out, head to an agricultural suppliers/co op.The grain shovels are almost identical to snow shovels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Thanks lads.....I called b&q etc, all sold out :-(

Saw this place, was down in Cornelscourt so dropped in, go a real nice one for €40, a bit pricey, but it'll last for the rest of the snow winters we have coming.

Got some grit and salt too......christ, now to start clearing......might wait until it stops snowing first :-(

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/95/69277295.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 teckster

Got one of these, does the job!

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/20/70760220.html

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭cabot

teckster wrote: »
    Got one of these, does the job!

http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/20/70760220.html

€30?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 teckster

Got one for the mother-in-law, too :D:D
    and got a discount

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

cabot wrote: »
    €30?!

It's a sellers market !

• Advertisement

Yeah but they are £5 here in Asda. Not metal blade though, personally a normal shovel would do me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

teckster wrote: »
    Got one for the mother-in-law, too :D:D
    and got a discount

Are you trying to block her in, or dig her out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

30 quid for a steel snow shovel is hardly robbery is it? Everyone is entitled to make a few bob.

As a heads up, a petrol leaf blower will clear an fresh, uncompressed snow covered average front gravel covered drive in about 5 mins, with no effort. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭joemc99

Just an update, tried the new shovel today, great job....much better then the normal spade. Mine has quality wooden handle and wooden tee top...funny, I tried the leaf blower this morning, does remove the top layer, but the more compacted snow underneath just sits there.....snow goes everywhere too.

He he, its like a blizzard all right, but if you haven't walked on it, it cuts straight to the gravel or the pavement, and clears it in no time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Everywhere seems sold out of the plastic ones. The big shops are anyway. Lenihans in Rathmines have the metal snow shovels for 50quid. Local dinky "hardware" shop has a plastic one for 20quid. Both of them can keep them and sell them on to the next mug that'll fork over that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I was in B and Q in tallaght and they had none !!!

denisor wrote: »
    30 quid for a steel snow shovel is hardly robbery is it? Everyone is entitled to make a few bob.

As a heads up, a petrol leaf blower will clear an fresh, uncompressed snow covered average front gravel covered drive in about 5 mins, with no effort. :)

I think you're too used to inflated prices :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

I tried to buy a snow shovel but all sold out.

I use a big yard brush for pushing the snow off the footpath, and a Wolf Tools hoe to cut the impacted snow off the concrete (you also have to buy a handle and they are not cheap). Its ace.

http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=RFM10
    http://www.garden4less.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=RFM15 ..... wider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Get some polyboard (stuff election posters & tempoary signs are made of.)

Then get 8 ft length of 2x4 wood. Cut 2 x 1ft pieces & Create a triangle at the bottom, then nail the polyboard to this.

Other alternative - simply get 3ft x 5ft piece of poly board and push the snow away - only works on soft snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

91011 wrote: »
    Get some polyboard (stuff election posters & tempoary signs are made of.)

Then get 8 ft length of 2x4 wood. Cut 2 x 1ft pieces & Create a triangle at the bottom, then nail the polyboard to this.

Other alternative - simply get 3ft x 5ft piece of poly board and push the snow away - only works on soft snow.

Was going to post something similar about making a T-piece from wood to push the snow away-very effective on the powdery snow we have now.

cabot wrote: »
    I think you're too used to inflated prices :)

Thats a good observation Cabot! And there is truth in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Woodies in KK had two types. Between €35 and €40. Robbers. They also had a plastic foldaway one for keeping in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Snow shovels are very good because they are the width of say two legs ie. you're clearing enough space for a person to walk through. A regular spade/shovel/coal shovel, yard brush with hard bristles and salt (for ice) will clear paths/driveways but the snow shovels would be of great help if you can get em - I couldn't get one.

The trick is to clear away the snow while it's still light and fluffy before it compacts, hardens and turns to ice. Ideally you'd wanna be doing it a few times a day and after each snowfall.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than a tener for a plastic snow shovel and no more than 25-30 (at a push) for a metal one of v. good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

So have we all used Buy a f'ing shovel yet?

I filled it in...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

With the weather looking like it will deteriorate again, I've bought a shovel from these guys up North..

http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=shovel&page=1&sort=3a&gclid=CKax5sbEmaYCFc0e4QodcjrpaQ

£6.99 for delivery but that covers up to £100/30Kg so very reasonable if buying in quantity

Advertisement