Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas eve

Options
  • 21-12-2010 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

So how do you all spend christmas eve?

This year we're thinking of going for an early dinner in a local pub then on for a few drinks in another local. I assume pubs close by 12? I've never gone out on christmas eve before, and I'm so excited about it!

(do people get really dressed up for christmas eve out in a small town? With this snow and ice a dress does not sound appealing! :o)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

oh I can't wait to go out on Christmas eve!

will do a shop for all fresh food in the morning and some general prep for christmas day. walk the dogs and collect turkey

Plan to be in the pub by lunchtime 1/2pm, enjoy a (good) few slow drinks and head home around 6/7pm when they're closing up.

most country pubs stay open later so depends where you are whispered

I would always drop my boyfriend to the pub christmas eve and I'd pop in for a mineral before my long drive home and I'd be so jealous leaving because everyone is in such great form and it's such craic!

will prob watch a christmas movie then when we get home and bring the dogs for another walk, then do nothing for the rest of the night!

ooohhhhh I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

make sure you check the pub closing time we got stung last xmas eve went out about 10 and we werent served anywhere :( but one pub did after a search of 4 pubs yay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

the pub on Christmas Eve is brilliant craic - we usually head out about noon, do some shopping, have lunch and browse around town - then head for the pub about four and watch everyone walking by (we try to get a pub with a window seat) have a few drinks - text friends and we all meet up - the excitement is brilliant - head home about 7.30 with family and have another couple drinks then. Best part of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I love Christmas eve in the pub, I go to where I am from and meet up with all the people I havent seen throughout the year. The pub is always packed and the excitement is fantasic better than christmas day!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

:D Getting so excited about it now. You're all making me worse! My husband is working until 2pm on chrtistmas eve, so we've booked an early dinner then will head over to the pub.

Magentas - your planned christmas sounds very like mine. dogs and all! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Whispered, christmas eve in the pub is just fantastic! everyone is in great form and there is just a magical buzz around the place. I do my shopping first thing that morning and then I get a few bits and pieces done during the day and then a gang of us meet up that evening about 7 and we have a meal, then on for a few drinkie pooh's and home about midnight! :) alot of kids are out early also because mam and dad might go for one or two, then mass, then home for bed! but I bypass on the mass bit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Christmas Eve is my mothers birthday, so we usually get a chinese or something & then cake :) then it's just a relaxing evening (until it's late enough to send people to bed & sort out things...)

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Generally spent at home, helping Mum and Dad get everything ready for Santa's arrival that night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

It's my father in law's birthday. So get up, head into work (and bring the dog!) for an aul mince pie ;) Pop out to my parents for a while. Then we head out for a late and boozy lunch for his b-day. Looking forward to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

we will be spending it in my partners aunts house, all of his family are meeting there for a few drinks....etc (they alternate between his parents house and his aunts every year)

then it will be home to set everything up for santa's arrival! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Tobogganing in the morning, home for lunch, into town to buy some final odds and ends, maybe a quick pint. Then home for tea time, visit to the neighbours or maybe a few callers to our house, stockings hung, kids into bed, Santa preparations made, crack open a nice bottle of vino and maybe catch a late movie. Can't go wrong on Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Tobogganing
    whta does this mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

magentas wrote: »
    whta does this mean?

:)Tobogganing

Advertisement