Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Career Advice?

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

hey,
    well basically I'm in 5/6th yr in school and Im doin business, geography, economics. ag sci and lcvp as well as the others and this year is alredy flyin and I honestly have no idea what to do after school!

i wouldnt mind doing something in agriculture but i feel ya have to kind of have a background in it which i dont i live in the city, only on holidays at my uncles.

i have a v.strong interest in cars but havent heard great things about being a mechanic from people i know and sales doesnt seem to be going too well either.

i'm considering the gards but if i did join i'd like to do something before joining as thats what some gardai reccomend, also i'd like to stay in the west i.e galway, connemara or mayo and you dont get to pick wher you live...

does anybody know of careers in the west of ireland in them areas, btw i'd thought about engineering or arts-teaching but honestly dont know, oh i wouldny be gone on a fulll time indoor office job ;)

any advice would be appreciated, i know some might say its early yet, but like to have some form of an idea,
    thanks a million,
    happy christmas and new year.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Well, as for being a mechanic, like, things won't stay bad forever and there'll always be cars and equipment that needs fixing. But it's up to you. I'd imagine it'd be easy enough to walk into a garage and ask can you spend a few days working there for free to get to know the job and learn the ropes, if you were sound out about it. You'd get to see what it's like day-to-day as a job too.

Do you want to go to college or start working after LC?

The Gardai is tough enough to get into atm, with the recruitment freeze an' all, but if you really wanted to then by all means go for it. It might be best finding something related (like a college course in something related perhaps) to do before it though, as waiting for the freeze to be lifted could potentially mean doing nothing for a while if you found nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭pateen

well, when i reallly think about it i dont think i could see myself staying as a mechanic for the rest of my life, i'd realy just like to be able to do a few bits on my own car and whatever.
    As for when i leave school i was thinking maybe takin a year out and work so i could get a car! but maybe this might be a waste of a year, i dont really know.
    I like the idea of 'being a gard' i did work expeirience in one recently and liked it, but i've heard a lot of gardai would reccomend doing something else bofore joining at a later age of 25-30 rather than straight away at 18.
    Thanks for replying. BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

As someone once said, do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your whole life!

Advertisement