Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Essay-Need help

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I need help here lads. I am not sure what to do although I will be basing it on Iphigenia at Aulis. Some of ye could be quite good at this so if ye are any help will do and as soon as possible. Thanks in advance.

First Year Drama 2010/11

Write ONE essay of about 1000 words.

1. ‘If we present a foreign history, the subject is so intended, that in the lives of Romans, Grecians, or others, either the virtues of our country-men are extolled, or their vices reproved.’ How do ONE OR MORE play(s) from the course represent EITHER the classical world OR the foreign OR ‘the Other’?

OR

2. ‘Silence, the closed mouth, is made the sign of chastity’ (Peter Stallybrass). How do ONE OR MORE play(s) from the course explore the interconnection of women’s silence OR speech AND chastity?

OR

3. ‘Tragedy offends the sensibilities’ (Howard Barker). Using this quotation as your starting point, discuss how ONE OR MORE play(s) from the course ‘offend the sensibilities’.

OR

4. ‘If we concentrate solely on the tragic flaw and ignore the other aspects of tragedy such as plot, setting, and political ideas, we short-circuit all that is most interesting about tragedy as a form.’ Do you agree? Answer with reference to ONE OR MORE play(s).

OR

5. 'Drama thrives on the conflict not between right and wrong but between different kinds of right'. Discuss ONE OR MORE play(s) from the course in the light of this remark.

OR

6. 'I am ashamed to pour forth tears, but then I am ashamed, poor wretch that I am to hold them in’ (Iphigenia, 451-2). How does ONE OE MORE play(s) from the course represent EITHER (a) extreme emotional states, OR (b) the connections between gender and language?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Does it have to be Iphegenia?

Do modern drama. Endgame and Phaedra's love is where its at. :D

I'd do Q4 with Endgame. That would be a great combination.

Unless you're not doing Endgame?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

We are but they are not being studied untill after christman. In a college essay can you do it on something you havent studied yet and would you be able to do it without reading the text.

Appeal for any suggestions. Please help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 carbonel_rex

You know your tutors read boards too, right? :)

I don't mean to be harsh, just some friendly advice. That essay was due back in November, unless you've been given an extension...and asking online forums for help generally won't get you very far with English essays!

Well the reason I am asking for a bit of help is because I missed out on 4 weeks of college and I did get an extension. You obvioulsy did the essay so. What harm if tutors are looking at this. I am not asking anyone to write me an essay and hand it to me.

• Advertisement

I certainly didn't do the essay, but I corrected a lot of them!

Trust me, you're better off thinking for yourself on this one.

I didnt even know they were corrected by now. I missed four weeks of college so I dont have a clue what to do tbh. Were they marked bad or good. What was the average?

The essays are corrected by all of the different tutors, so I have no idea what the average is. As to how they were marked...that depends on your tutor I suppose, but there is a standard marking scale so there shouldn't be too much variation.

Honestly, the best thing to do is read a play, pick a question, make out a rough plan and just sit down and do the thing. Asking message boards about essay questions is pretty much a waste of time because in the end it's up to you to write it.

Do you have your tutor's email? You should get in touch with him/her if you're having trouble, it's what we're here for!

Ya i see your point. Well i am just doing it on Iphigenia at Aulis. I will do 4 or 6. No i dont have his email, he never handed it out to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I remember doing the second essay two years ago :p But I did it on both Iphigenia and Titus Andronicus, it was a lot easier with both

• Advertisement
Advertisement