Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ellies quitting on the 1/1/11 log

Options
  • 21-12-2010 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi all,

Who is giving up for the new year?

I am. I am sick of spending money on smokes. I am sick of feeling tired all the time. I used to smoke 10 to 15 and this has been creeping up to over twenty a day. I am not going out or making any plans to go out for all of January and even Febuary if I need to. I tend to smoke out of boredom. Any time Ive tried to give up , I go back on them because I feel stressed with work etc. I want to get fit and I want to look healthy. I do eat more when I give up so I am going to exercise more.

I really want to do this! I am starting on the 1/1/11. And this will be my log to moniter my progress. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Congratulations but............. why not just quit now?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭ellie1

Thank you.

I am not quitting now because I am going out on a few nights and I feel I wouldnt be strong enough not to get sucked in to that "its only a drag etc" that happens when my defences are down when I have a few beers.!! Hence why I wont be going out for a month at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,170 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ellie1 wrote: »
    Thank you.

I am not quitting now because I am going out on a few nights and I feel I wouldnt be strong enough not to get sucked in to that "its only a drag etc" that happens when my defences are down when I have a few beers.!! Hence why I wont be going out for a month at least!

Well good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭molly77

Hi all,

Who is giving up for the new year?

I am. I am sick of spending money on smokes. I am sick of feeling tired all the time. I used to smoke 10 to 15 and this has been creeping up to over twenty a day. I am not going out or making any plans to go out for all of January and even Febuary if I need to. I tend to smoke out of boredom. Any time Ive tried to give up , I go back on them because I feel stressed with work etc. I want to get fit and I want to look healthy. I do eat more when I give up so I am going to exercise more.

I really want to do this! I am starting on the 1/1/11. And this will be my log to moniter my progress. :)

Hi ellie
    I also have decided to give up on 1/1/11 ( i think:))
    O they thoughts of it, I smoke 40 a day, i know ridculous, ah its time to stop. So we have 4 days to go as smokers :confused:,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nutuporshutup

Hey Ellie,
    Also kicking the habit on 1/01/11, best of luck, what method are you planning to use or will it be shere will power? Having a quiet Jan myself so reckon it's the perfect opportunity, keep us posted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

Hi,

Quitting is my new year's resolution, too. I gave up eight days ago, I couldn't wait; I wanted to get a head start. I think the worst of the physical cravings are behind me. I'm still suffering with insomnia (obviously, since it's 5.30), but it's getting better: I had a few hours' sleep tonight at least.

I was on 20 a day. The most important thing is not seeing giving up smoking as a "sacrifice". It's a relief -- at least, that's how it feels for me.

I cannot recommend Alan Carr's book enough. It completely changed my attitude towards smoking. Other than that, be careful with "triggers". Sit down and analyse when you'd have a cigarette, in what circumstances, and avoid them.

Best of luck everyone. We can all do it together. We no longer have to shell out 8 quid a day to kill ourselves slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Stick it if you can. Seriously. I'm off 8 weeks as of yesterday and it feels amazing. Give it a try. You'll save a ton of money. :)

Also St. Andalou, I had horrible insomnia too for a while. Just could not sleep. Was exhausted for about a week and a half but that'll pass with time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Best of luck. I'll be a year off on that date and happy out :) Make sure to log your progress - it really helped me - especially in the first couple of months.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Congratulations but............. why not just quit now?
    It does help to have a quit date. It focuses the mind and helps you to mentally prepare for what is a considerable life change.
    molly77 wrote: »
    Hi ellie
    I also have decided to give up on 1/1/11 ( i think:))
    O they thoughts of it, I smoke 40 a day, i know ridculous, ah its time to stop. So we have 4 days to go as smokers :confused:,
    40 a day - I remember it well. I went from 40 to 0 - you can too. tbh there's no difference between a 40/day smoker or a 10/day smoker when it comes to quitting. It's the same addiction - it's just as hard for either. Or just as easy :)

Best of luck to all 1/1/11 non-smokers.

As for all you other 1/1/10 quitters - jump in and help these newbies out :D

Macros42 wrote: »
    Best of luck. I'll be a year off on that date and happy out :) Make sure to log your progress - it really helped me - especially in the first couple of months.

It does help to have a quit date. It focuses the mind and helps you to mentally prepare for what is a considerable life change.

40 a day - I remember it well. I went from 40 to 0 - you can too. tbh there's no difference between a 40/day smoker or a 10/day smoker when it comes to quitting. It's the same addiction - it's just as hard for either. Or just as easy :)

Best of luck to all 1/1/11 non-smoker

As for all you other 1/1/10 quitters - jump in and help these newbies out :D

Well done, 1 year, thats brilliant. how are u going to celebrate, Any tips for us would be great. :)

Hi,

Quitting is my new year's resolution, too. I gave up eight days ago, I couldn't wait; I wanted to get a head start. I think the worst of the physical cravings are behind me. I'm still suffering with insomnia (obviously, since it's 5.30), but it's getting better: I had a few hours' sleep tonight at least.

I was on 20 a day. The most important thing is not seeing giving up smoking as a "sacrifice". It's a relief -- at least, that's how it feels for me.

I cannot recommend Alan Carr's book enough. It completely changed my attitude towards smoking. Other than that, be careful with "triggers". Sit down and analyse when you'd have a cigarette, in what circumstances, and avoid them.

Best of luck everyone. We can all do it together. We no longer have to shell out 8 quid a day to kill ourselves slowly.

Good for u. going cold turkey myself this time, Read book, done patches. so 3 days to go before i am a non smoker. scared stiff i wont make it through the first day, we shall see. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

molly77 wrote: »
    Good for u. going cold turkey myself this time, Read book, done patches. so 3 days to go before i am a non smoker. scared stiff i wont make it through the first day, we shall see. :)

You will, you've come this far. For the first three days I kept really busy. I completely re-organized my room and cleaned it from top to bottom, something I'd been meaning to do for ages. Keep busy, and avoid things like tea, coffee, etc. that you associate with smoking. Best of luck!

So... How's everyone getting on?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fairway Jim

I have just started today, I have to do it now, smoking since 1986, maybe 15 a day, my cough has got worse this winter.

I suppose keep busy and occupied, just dreading going back to work on Wednesday, feel I can cope at home ok, I drive alot, and associate smoking with the road, sort of an emotional crutch, i.e. day not going so good, lets light up.

Anyway so far so good.

Best of luck to all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Best wishes to everyone. I'll be rooting for ye!

That_Guy wrote: »
    So... How's everyone getting on?

O we are here still going strong, day 3 tomorrow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

Day 3 today and so far okay. But I have been sick which makes it easier.
    Do remember from previous attempts (and Alan Carr books) that first 3 days are hardest so fingers crossed for us all.
    Havent been a heavy smoker in number of years (usually smoke3-5 in evenings). But that can actually make them even more attractive...like others said not looking forward to going back to work on Wed thats when things can start getting tough. The evenings and my cigarettes are my little treat when kids in bed and work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 123beguiled

Well done Ellie. wife and I also stopped on NYD.
    Not waiting for day 3 just one at a time and hopimg for the day that I dont remember them anymore.
    Good luck and keep strong...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Dalan

ST. Andalou - That Guy? - and anyone else who's just come in off Addiction Street these last days - can I recommend Molly's thread - "Post for everyone who QUIT evil fags" - so we can all stick together really close?

Btw - has anyone seen Ellie - who started this thread after all - Ellie??? Ellliiiiiieeeeeeeeeee?? Oh no she's:eek:

9 weeks as of yesterday I'm off. :D

Advertisement