Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

second hand smoke

Options
  • 20-12-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I have been off cigarettes for over a day now following a five year addiction. Im worried though because i do not find it near as bad as i thought i would????? I had quite a heavy addiction before, 20 a day or more sometimes (usually just over ten though).

My mother smokes and im home for christmas. Could second hand smoke be ruining my efforts to give up by supplying me with nicotine? I try to avoid her when she smokes but it does hang in the air and It wouldn't be good to avoid her all christmas!:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

Bump...

Am I just lucky that im not getting really bad cravings or am I doing something wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cailindeas25

You're not doing anything wrong. I'm sure cravings are different for everyone, I didn't suffer too badly from them whereas some people I've talked to have have cold sweats, nausea etc. I'd say you're just one of the lucky ones but be on your guard just incase they do hit! How long were you a smoker for? I'm off them almost 3months and never felt better, keep up the good work, it's definately worth it and certainly not as difficult as I believed it would be, thankfully:)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

You're not doing anything wrong. I'm sure cravings are different for everyone, I didn't suffer too badly from them whereas some people I've talked to have have cold sweats, nausea etc. I'd say you're just one of the lucky ones but be on your guard just incase they do hit! How long were you a smoker for? I'm off them almost 3months and never felt better, keep up the good work, it's definately worth it and certainly not as difficult as I believed it would be, thankfully:)

Thanks for the reply! Well done on getting to 3 months!

Ive been smoking over five years, maybe i am just lucky. The only times I want a cigerette is when I get bored or when i have some little achievement like finishing my dinner:D

It odd, I find myself completely and utterly bored because I have these huge gaps of time where i would usually spend smoking and now have nothing to do. Has made me think about what the role of my cigarettes was. Ive decided to replace them with the gym to occupy myself:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cailindeas25

For me my cravings felt like emptiness, no pain or anything physical, it was like the boredom that you described. After a few days to a week that empty bored feeling subsided, for me anyway :) Now I don't think of them, except to think how happy I am not to be a smoker anymore. Hang in there, it WILL get easier :) Check out whyquit.com too, it was a great help to me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Worztron

How many hours is 2nd hand smoke dangerous for? For example if a smoker left a room after puffing 5 cancer sticks – then is there a safe time for a child (or even an adult) to enter that room? Lets take 2 scenarios, 1 where the windows is open and the other where the window is shut. How about the staff at a bar that need to clean up a smoking room – are they told to wait x minutes to enter there to cleanup?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
Advertisement