Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

volvo engine noise

Options
  • 20-12-2010 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL7Nutp_yyE

What would that noise be, timing belt related or something else. And can I drive the car at all even short time?

The problem is that I will be leaving country soon, so spending about 400e for new belt does not interest me at all, but continue to drive and destroy the engine is not nice idea either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Give us the model..engine..year and we may have some place to start...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Car is Volvo s40, 2l petrol, 140k miles,

the sound started today and it is quite metallic, high pitched noise.

When I rev up the engine it disappears but comes back when idle speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

hmmm....Its very difficult to know from the clip...?
    Is the noise coming from the T-belt area...?
    Or maybe from the gearbox area..??
    Have seen one of these to break a T-belts due to high milage between a T-belt change,so it would be wise to get it checked out to confirm where the noise is coming from.

I think it is maybe one of the belt pulleys that is making the noise.

I did check the t-belt and it is worn, but still ok.

I do not think it is the gearbox, since it is definitely coming from the engine end where timing belt is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

If its a petrol that now sounds like a diesel at idle, its quiet common. Its the mechanism that varies the cam timing , new oil and filter may cure , has done for me in the past , maybe flush first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Bigus wrote: »
    If its a petrol that now sounds like a diesel at idle, its quiet common. Its the mechanism that varies the cam timing , new oil and filter may cure , has done for me in the past , maybe flush first.

Are you referring to Volvos VVT thing or BMWs VANOS? Reason I ask is I know VANOS is known for a rattle, but ive never heard of a VVT pulley on a Volvo rattling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

VVT assembly is very prone to sticking on the S40s - I've had 2 S40's, and both were rattly.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

Are you referring to Volvos VVT thing or BMWs VANOS? Reason I ask is I know VANOS is known for a rattle, but ive never heard of a VVT pulley on a Volvo rattling.

I've sold two pulleys this week alone ;)

Ok, a pulley seized and alternator belt jumped, so no more charching or power steering.

Do you think I could get the pulley running with copper paste or do I need a new pulley.

It is the pulley in the block, where are two small ones next to each one. One moves and one does not.

156899_488451023913_602713913_5829641_4850456_n.jpg

Broken part, this is a pulley from belt tensioner, any ideas where I could get another one?

• Advertisement
Advertisement