Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poo ID please

Options
  • 20-12-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Found these dropping this morning, at first i taught it was a fox but the dropping is on top of a bucket thats over my outdoor tap and surely it would have toppled over if it was a fox or something of that size:confused:

poo1.jpgpoo2s.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Looks like bird, to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Ditch wrote: »
    Looks like bird, to me.

No, it's Pine Marten

:confused: Ye reckon? Looks exceedingly small for piney, to me. And its bum must have banged shut too. No tapering to the ends, as I've found in every musty type 'poo' I've ever examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I wouldn't have thought pine marten either (seems small), but Ditch, it doesn't necessarily have to taper off / have a fox-like twist at the end. I have seen plenty of stub-ended pine marten droppings. Also, there could be another bit of it on the ground around the bucket.

" Could be " any number of hidden details we're not a party to, Connacht. I'm simply basing my own idea on that which we do know / see.

And, in my own experience; I've seen that sort of droppings left by birds all my life. And in places / situations where only birds could be possible.

Put a gun to my head and I'd go as far as to reckon it was a thrush family bird. One that's been feeding on berries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

am not disagreeing with you at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

To be precise - it looks exactly like the droppings left by blackbirds taking shelter around the walls of my home during the snow. I was surprised how big they were in relation to the bird. Dark red in colour containing seeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

found this by the river today, any ideas what could of done it.

14xj9n4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Looks like a 'watier' version of a confirmed Pine Marten dropping left in my front garden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

fryup wrote: »
    Found these dropping this morning, at first i taught it was a fox but the dropping is on top of a bucket thats over my outdoor tap and surely it would have toppled over if it was a fox or something of that size:confused:

poo1.jpgpoo2s.jpg
    Rattus norvegicus - they like buckets for some weird reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

E39MSport wrote: »
    Looks like a 'watier' version of a confirmed Pine Marten dropping left in my front garden.

theres defiantly piney's knocking around, thought it might of been from a otter from it consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

The dropping on the bucket must be a blackbirds that's been eating rowan berries.

The watery one on the moss could be otter but more likely a water bird

Mark

Advertisement