Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

safari crashing. need help

Options
  • 20-12-2010 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hey people.

i have a new macbook, only 5 months old. no problems with it at all until last 2 days... when i open facebook (sometimes other pages too) safari crashes on me. it's damn annoying.

i tried browsing on another user account and it works fine. so i don't think it's the software itself. I am not that literate when it comes to the finer workings of a computer, so if anyone has had this problem, or knows what i can do to fix it, it would really help me out..

oh, and, looking on google, lots of people said trash the com.apple.safari.plist but that 'file' is not in my library/preferences..... so please, please, please.... what can i do.... or is it just worth my while to get the cd and reinstall safari?????

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you using the latest version of Safari? Have you tried clearing Safari's cache/history? Are you using Adblock or any other Safari add-in/plugin.

The Safari plist file in your user account's library folder. Not the one at the root of your hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 finno26

Are you using the latest version of Safari? Have you tried clearing Safari's cache/history? Are you using Adblock or any other Safari add-in/plugin.

The Safari plist file in your user account's library folder. Not the one at the root of your hard drive.

yes, latest version of safaro... yes cleared the cache... i am using plug ins but they are things like dvix player and flip4mac.... how do i get to my users account library folder?????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Macintosh HD > Users > [Your name] > Library > Preferences

Or just click on your user folder in the Finder's sidebar. It's structured the same as the Library folder at the root of your hard disk which you checked earlier. (Basically the Library folder at the root of your hd holds settings that apply system-wide, while user Library folders only affect that user.)

I would be suspicious of any plugins you have installed. If it's not happening on another user account then that means the problem is somewhere in your user folder. There's only so many things it can be. There's an Internet Plugins folder in your user's Library folder as well. If deleting prefs doesn't work, you could try temporarily removing the plugins and see if makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Safari has been flaky for me since Chrome became usable - I dont know if I just tolerated its flakiness and slowness before chrome came but Imagine it was much like how I used IE before firefox became usable on windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility

Repair disk permissions for you Hard Drive. I'd also suggest verifying the disk, and if anything comes up, boot from the Install disc and repair the HD. You can't repair the HD if you are booted from it

• Advertisement
Advertisement