Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac 27 magic mouse jumping

Options
  • 20-12-2010 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My magic mouse has started to jump all over the screen on my iMac.

I replaced my old mouse but it's still happening - presuming it must be a software or maybe a bluetooth issue?

I've googled around but can't find a solution.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Are you downloading when this happens? See my thread here:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056110195

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hey,

Nope - it's happening even when the machine is idle.

I reckon it's a problem with the bluetooth adapter on the iMac.

I wonder is it possible to get a USB bluetooth adapter and use that instead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I assume you've ruled out dust in the sensor?

But, yeah, a USB adapter should work. Have you any other bluetooth devices you can test though? Or another computer you test the Magic Mouse on? It could be the mouse that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I only bought my mac on friday and have the same problem, I have mine connected up with an ethernet cable yet the pointer still jumps with no wifi activity.

I assume you've ruled out dust in the sensor?

But, yeah, a USB adapter should work. Have you any other bluetooth devices you can test though? Or another computer you test the Magic Mouse on? It could be the mouse that's the problem.

Hey,

I tried the mouse on my Air and it worked perfectly so I'm ruling dust out.

Hopefully it's the Bluetooth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

Do you have Windows installed in Bootcamp? A friend was experiencing the same issue but it was working perfectly in Bootcamp - not a solution but identified the OS X Bluetooth drivers as the problem.

Don't have bootcamp at all.

I tried updating bluetooth firmware and ran a software update but everything was up to date.

Think I'll chance buying a USB Bluetooth dongle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm not sure adding a Bluetooth dongle to the mix will solve your issue. It's not as simple as adding a wireless network adapter where you can disable the internal wireless card.

In the System Preferences, Bluetooth is either available or it isn't, you can't distinguish between the internal card or a dongle, so the internal Bluetooth card will be competing with the dongle. Unless of course Apple have built some intelligence into the OS so that the internal card is disabled if an external dongle is connected but I can't imagine Apple doing that.

Also keep in mind that only certain Bluetooth dongles will work properly, I remember reading about it on one of the Hackintosh forums.

Advertisement