Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with boss

Options
  • 20-12-2010 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, wasn't sure whether to put it here or in Legal.

A friend of mine is having some issues with his boss. He has been working for about 7 weeks thus far, and has yet to be paid a full wage, despite being told he would be paid fortnightly. He was paid once, about 4 weeks ago, but it wasn't his full fortnight's wage, it was a small fraction of it. His boss refuses to give any of the staff payslips, refuses to answer calls or texts and is basically ignoring them anytime they have a complaint. My friend is regularly made to work full shifts with no break (when he is entitled to a half hour), as are the other people working in this place. In the first week alone, my friend worked two 14-hour shifts with only a 30 minute break, and a few 12 hour shifts with a 30 minute break. He was expected to be in work for 8am, despite not finishing work til nearly 11pm the previous evening.

He has called the owner of the franchise (his boss) out on this through text, but to no avail. She claims to have put his wages through on Friday gone, yet none of the staff have received anything.

What should my friend do? I have told him to keep a log of everything that is happening, which he has been doing and I told him to get copies of all of his previous rotas, as proof of the hours he worked.

Is there anything else he could be doing? He's not being very firm in confronting the boss tbh. The one time he was very firm about it, the boss texted him a few days later to resolve the issue, but has since gone back to doing what I described in the post.

What else can he do? He's only there about 7 weeks, so is on probation, as are all the other staff. He wants to walk out, but can't as he has no other source of income and can't wait 6 weeks for the dole if he were to leave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tell your friend to ring NERA, he can do so anonomously and they will quickly sort out his employer!

They deal with this kind of crap everyday, they will turn up in the workplace unannounced and ask for all records, contracts or employment, roster records and copies of payslip etc

if the boss is acting the maggot he'll be kicked into shape and fined to high heaven sharpish

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

Get your friend to contact the National Employment Rights Authority (NERA)

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

Not giving an employee a payslip, not paying their salary and not giving them required rest breaks is all illegal.

They will be able to give your friend the necessaty and correct advise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I would resign and try my best to get a different job. I'd also contact all of the national newspapers and meet a solicitor with the intention of bringing a lawsuit to this man. Ordinary workers need to stand up to these abuses. If nothing else, you are entitled to 11 hours between each shift. So if he finishes at 11 PM the earliest he can come in is 10 AM. Labour laws exist because bosses will completely mess their staff around if they aren't there. Take this very seriously. This scumbag needs to be taught a lesson, and forced to realise that his employees are not human cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'd be calling round to the bosses house looking for my pay. I'd make sure he knew that it would be a regular occurance until it was handed over. The job does not sound promising so I wouldn't hold out too much hope of improvment so direct confrontation is the only answer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Thanks for the advice, everyone! :)

The thing with NERA calling out to the woman's shop - it could be a problem as the shop is only newly opened about 5 weeks ago, so surely the boss could fob them off by saying she hasn't got such and such sorted out yet?

My friend got through to his boss yesterday morning. She said that the wages were put in yesterday (Monday), not Friday as she originally promised. However, there is still nothing in his account today.

Oh and I found out that she's not paying them from this particular company's account. She's paying them from her other (completely separate) business' books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

It doesn't matter that it's a new business. She has no choice but to pay ehr staff or be prosecuted.

And the thing with the other account sounds dodgy. It might be an idea for your friend to start looking for another job, if they can. Sounds like the business won't be running for long. But don't let up on chasing their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good advice re NERA. Even if the boss fobs them off, they will hopefully scare her into getting her s*it together.

However could you also try contacting the master franchise holder (maybe via anonymous tip off): if staff are being treated like this, they're very soon going to do things that will harm the brand's reputation.

Oh, and I agree re job-hunting too: I don't think this job sounds like it has a promising future.

Advertisement