Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sirens and Flashing Lights Protocols

Options
  • 20-12-2010 2:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

I was driving home last night after midnight in probably the worst road conditions i have ever seen (Donegal), when a car came up behind me and sat on my bumper for a mile or two. The road was just a sheet of ice and i was driving at a safe speed for the road (i was in a 4x4 and probably moving faster than most other cars would). The car behind was a real danger and once i got to a point i could pull in, i did. I couldn't believe it was an ambulance, but it got me thinking.
    Did the driver not put on the siren or lights as it could be more dangerous? i.e. under pressure i could make a stupid move to get out of the way and cause an accident.
    The road was empty i could see the ambulance vehicle approaching from a good long distance away, should they not have flashed the lights then, allowing me time to pull in?
    Was the driver just in a hurry, but not on a emergency call?

Whatever the reason, the driver was a complete fool. Driving so close to me on a terrible road was just plain dangerous. Flashing the emergency lights would have been much safer.

Comments

Not to be smart, but Ambulance, or Doctor on call?

Just because, reading your post, it sounds like you're saying that you thought it was just a random car behind you until you pulled over, and thenat the second part of your post you seem to say it as though you seen the Ambulance approaching from behind.

Just a little confused. In either case, I'd imagine a bright yellow van with reflective stickers all over it would be an easy one to spot? If they had no lights or sirens; they weren't on an emergency call.

I could understand an unexpected loud yelp of the siren could probably be seen as a little dangerous (though i doubt it'd cause an accident), but if it were a callout, i assume they'd have had their blues on for most of the journey, and you'd have seen them approaching well in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

No, it was the an Ambulance. I didn't realise it was an ambulance till it passed (but reading my post i see what you mean). It was pitch black on a rural road, so all i seen was lights behind me, no indication it was an ambulance.
    It may have been a bright yellow van with reflective stickers all over it, but how would it be easy to spot when its behind on a dark night?? All i could see was their driving lights. Maybe if cars were coming in the other direction, they would have thrown enough light for me to see it, but there was no other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭paraletic

an ambulance might be on an emergency call without it lights on, most times (especially at night) there is no need. it is more or less up to the driver to decide how to drive. (depending on the nature of the call)

but if conditions were as bad as you say, then there is very little excuse for driving like a fool, maybe he was just an idiot.:D

Senna wrote: »
    It may have been a bright yellow van with reflective stickers all over it, but how would it be easy to spot when its behind on a dark night?? All i could see was their driving lights. Maybe if cars were coming in the other direction, they would have thrown enough light for me to see it, but there was no other cars.

When I was reading your post, I got the image in my head of you driving along a lit-up motorway. Apologies for my presumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

In these weather conditions i have tried to avoid using lights and sirens. In fairness in this snow its too dangerous to overtake. No point in us crashing on the way to a call.....

• Advertisement

I just ended up in a discussion on the pregnant womens moan thread page74/75. i didn't mean to get involved but i thought i would give a bit of advice on getting into hospital after a poster advised someone to call an ambo.

i'd appreciate if some one here would have a look and see what you think about people ringing ambos during the snow.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

paraletic wrote: »
    I just ended up in a discussion on the pregnant womens moan thread page74/75. i didn't mean to get involved but i thought i would give a bit of advice on getting into hospital after a poster advised someone to call an ambo.

i'd appreciate if some one here would have a look and see what you think about people ringing ambos during the snow.:confused:
    Are ye mad lol trying to reason with pregnant women??? :eek:

im not getting into that argument:D

murf313 wrote: »
    Are ye mad lol trying to reason with pregnant women??? :eek:

im not getting into that argument:D

i wouldn't do it face to face, :o
    even on the internet they scare me.

Advertisement