Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help ASAP

Options
  • 19-12-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi everyone. i dunno if its the right section or not, but i hope to get some help here.

The story is: Its about my mom, She works in Nursing home as care assistant.
    she started to work there 5 years ago, she was working days till her timetable changed to nights. like a month ago. I started too c that shes not really well. i got really worried so i asked whats wrong. She didnt want to talk to me, but then she burst-ed into tears, she told me that she cant work anymore nights because shes feeling very bad since she started. that the manager put night on purpose so she would quit the job and that the manager treats her like **** at work. i was really pissed of when i heard this and i called my older sister and we had a conversation about everything thats been going on. my mom told me that shes mentally sick now and shes been threatened by the manager. I was shocked when i heard this. she also told me that she wont be able to work soon, she might need a wheelchair.

She said that shes afraid to talk to the manager and ask her if she could put her on the days again.

i hear her cry at night and it just makes me hurt. i m willing todo anything to stop this and get this manager fired or even jailed.

So i m asking you people help and tell me what should i do.

p.s i heard many people had complaints about the manager and some even involved court. but everyone failed, its like there nothing you can do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am very sorry to hear about your situation,
    I don't know what advice to offer but now that you know what's bothering your mother you can begin to help her.
    Is there an option that she could leave her job if it affecting her that much? If its necessary that she must work, try getting her back working days?
    Is there any one else who can help? This is a complicated situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭blackbird98

sorry to hear about this op, the only thing i can suggest is that your mother goes to see her doctor asap. if she has to go out sick on certs for a while, it might give her the time to assess her situation.

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

That sounds very rough. Are there any legal rights being infringed in this case? I don't have any advice unfortunately, but there's another thread on the Personal Issue forum that is dealing with a difficult work-related situation, maybe you should take a read of it? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056124296

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

is she on nights the whole time? that can really get you down. as for the manager she should take down what ever he says to her and date it. it could become important at a later date if she wants to take them to court for constructive dismissal.

DO NOT make stuff up, try to get witnesses.

If the manager is being a real pain and she feels as bad as you say I would go to the doctor and get a cert for a week sit at home and take it easy.

Is she a member of a union? If so I would get them involved too.

Also she should try to keep her sleep pattern as regular as possible as in keep work sleep hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Iwould seek help from someone in HR.

Or the the emplyment rights commision. Citizens info might be a good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭lallychops

The fact that the manager put her on nights to begin with indicates constuctive dismissal and is absolutely against her employment rights. if her mental health has been affected because of her change of working hours this can factor into a case. as a poster said she needs evidence to take an action. she needs to find a comparator and show she is being unfavourably treated. you can either report the managers behaviour to a higher ranking person in the nursing compnay and they are obliged to investigate this. it may eventually end up in the labour court but thats a long process, or so im told. try some legal advice from a solicitor about common law regulations meaning just taking the emplyer straight to court. whatever happens dont let the employer away with this., totally against her rights under the numerous employment acts. definitely worth following this through op...hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Work Problems

• Registered Users Posts: 25,753 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

carlope wrote: »
    ... my mom told me that shes mentally sick now and shes been threatened by the manager .... she also told me that she wont be able to work soon, she might need a wheelchair.

p.s i heard many people had complaints about the manager and some even involved court. but everyone failed.

OP, the first thing your mother needs to do is discuss the situation with her own GP, and get an assessment of whether she's fit for work or not. If not, then the doctor's certificate will give your mother the basis to apply to appropriate welfare.

The statement about possibly needing a wheelchair soon makes me think that your mother has other health problems besides the stress of this job. It's possible that she's actually not able for the job any longer: caregiving is physically and emotionally demanding work.

If that is the case, and if your mother is in denial about this, then the manager is in a very difficult position: to fire your mother, s/he would need to demonstrate your mother's inability to do the job, but doing so would compromise the care offered to patients.

(Moving her to night shift may actually have been a way to reduce the physical demands: there's less lifting at night because the patients are all in bed.)

I'd suggest that if possible you should informally talk to your mothers colleagues: they may be able give you some more information about what's really going on. Initially they're likely to try to protect her, and paint the manager as "evil" so be a bit persistent and dig into what's really going on.

Also, don't believe everything you hear about the manager: if there were court cases and the employee lost, then it's likely that the manager was in the right. Not guaranteed, but very likely.

I hope these thoughts help, good luck in supporting your mother through what could be a difficult transition.

Advertisement