Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This everything I need to get started?

Options
  • 19-12-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Right lads plan on starting to do some MW2 commentaries and the likes. I've read through all the stickies / links etc cheers for those who've made them put them up. (Tallon ;))

I'm on a Mac so from what I can see my options are pretty limited, going with the Roxio easy capture. will be editing in Imovie 09, don't have access to anything better for now. Getting a TB X11 to improve quality of my gameplay and also so I'll have a mic to do commentaries. I'm also going to try and get a cheap external hard-drive, about 200gb or so to store recorded footage.

Basically question is this everything I need to get started or am I missing anything. Any differences you would recommend to what I've chosen here? Anything else I should be getting, from what I've read it seems like it will last be the next 9 months or so anyway, after that I might get a Haupage + Sony Vegas 10 once I get a Windows laptop and lose the Mac. Any sites you recommend as well for some help / tips / guides.

Cheers in advance lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm on a Mac so from what I can see my options are pretty limited

Not really, the HD PVR will work with your mac, so don't rule that out.

Imovie 09 is a pretty good programme to be using, it will do you until you can get Vegas.

You should pick up a cheap External HD if you keep an eye out in the Bargain Alert section

What kind of Mic have you got?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

HDPVRCAPTURE on mac works fine and was actually devved by someone who worked on the PVR itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

HDPVRCAPTURE on mac works fine and was actually devved by someone who worked on the PVR itself.
    Tallon wrote: »
    Not really, the HD PVR will work with your mac, so don't rule that out.

Imovie 09 is a pretty good programme to be using, it will do you until you can get Vegas.

You should pick up a cheap External HD if you keep an eye out in the Bargain Alert section

What kind of Mic have you got?

I was thinking the Roxio because right now I'm on a pretty low budget, scraping it together for what I've already mentioned. Haven't got a mic for now but plan is just to use the X11 headset as my mic once I get them. My computer is also about 3 years old Macbook so until I get the windows I think sticking to standard definition would be less of a strain on the computer, could be completely wrong though.

Ye that's my plan, keeping an eye out for a cheap external HD.

Cheers lads.

The X11's will be perfect for it. Since I started using my PX21's the sound is noticeably better.

I'd say try rendering in HD. My PC is not the best, but it can still handle anything I throw at it

RMD wrote: »
    I was thinking the Roxio because right now I'm on a pretty low budget, scraping it together for what I've already mentioned. Haven't got a mic for now but plan is just to use the X11 headset as my mic once I get them. My computer is also about 3 years old Macbook so until I get the windows I think sticking to standard definition would be less of a strain on the computer, could be completely wrong though.

Ye that's my plan, keeping an eye out for a cheap external HD.

Cheers lads.

If your Mac is the same 3 year old model as mine the internal mic is pretty good btw, and perfectly capable of rendering HD. If it's money of course, the cheapest I've seen a HDPVR for is 150, so I know it can be out of some people's range.

The voice over at the start of this vid was done with my mbp and the internal mike.

• Advertisement

The X11's will be perfect for it. Since I started using my PX21's the sound is noticeably better.

I'd say try rendering in HD. My PC is not the best, but it can still handle anything I throw at it

Cheers, been meaning to get a good set of headphones. I assume to render in HD that means I must record in HD? Money is the problem there :pac:
    If your Mac is the same 3 year old model as mine the internal mic is pretty good btw, and perfectly capable of rendering HD. If it's money of course, the cheapest I've seen a HDPVR for is 150, so I know it can be out of some people's range.

The voice over at the start of this vid was done with my mbp and the internal mike.

I'm getting the headset for improving my gameplay, not just having a mic, so my plan would be to use the headset for the mic. Quality though at the start of that video certainly was good. Ye that's the biggest problem, I can get 12 month live membership, Roxio recorder and the headset for in or around 150 euro online. Other issue as well is if I don't take to recording / making commentaries, I'm then left with a 150 recorder I have no interest in using.

Mac is a 2007 Black Macbook, 1gig ram, 2.16 GHz intel duo processor.

Once again cheers lads.

Cheers, been meaning to get a good set of headphones. I assume to render in HD that means I must record in HD? Money is the problem there :pac:

What Cap card you planning on getting?

Once again cheers lads.

Thats a fine system for what you plan on doing :)

I'm getting the headset for improving my gameplay, not just having a mic, so my plan would be to use the headset for the mic. Quality though at the start of that video certainly was good. Ye that's the biggest problem, I can get 12 month live membership, Roxio recorder and the headset for in or around 150 euro online. Other issue as well is if I don't take to recording / making commentaries, I'm then left with a 150 recorder I have no interest in using.

Once again cheers lads.

Yeah from what I've seen of other people this's pretty good to start with.

What Cap card you planning on getting?

Thats a fine system for what you plan on doing :)

Roxio easy convertor or whatever it's called. Ye it's just been acting a bit odd lately, from what I've seen though it sounds like it should do fine. From the quality test clips I've seen on youtube, it seems the Roxio will do fine to start with. Bit grainy but can't complain.

Yeah from what I've seen of other people this's pretty good to start with.

Ok cheers, once again lads, thanks for the help.

Roxio easy convertor

Oh right, had to google it, looks pretty much the same as an easycap, so you should be good to go.
    Ok cheers, once again lads, thanks for the help.

No probs

• Advertisement
Advertisement