Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating only working downstairs - Advice

Options
  • 19-12-2010 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Have a Gas boiler that is controlled by two thermostats - one upstairs and one down.

Since Friday morning the heat has not been coming on upstairs - we had not touched the thermostat - and no matter how much I change it, it will not heat upstairs.

Any idea why this is occuring?

Also for repairs is it an electrician or plumber we need?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Upstairs thermostat is set too low or is faulty. Get Down to a hardware store, take a photo with your phone to compare

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Turned off heating, isolate the heating mcb, and connect the news one to the same wire connections as last one, used something to mark it before disconnecting.
    If You cannot buy a matching one buy some 15 amp strip connectors and join the two cables together in one of these, it will bypass the stat for now

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

muletide wrote: »
    Have a Gas boiler that is controlled by two thermostats - one upstairs and one down.

Since Friday morning the heat has not been coming on upstairs - we had not touched the thermostat - and no matter how much I change it, it will not heat upstairs.

Any idea why this is occuring?

Also for repairs is it an electrician or plumber we need?

Many thanks in advance

try turning thermostat up and down, if you can hear the 'click' at a certain temp. setting 8/10 its working ok, you will need to find the corresponding motorised valve 'square box attached to a pipe can be red, blue or white colour' sometimes on a motorised valve you can disconnect the actuator 'head' from the valve body with out any tools and operate the valve with your hand..best left to plumber if your not familiar with it!

on the side of the motorised valve you should find a small lever with "manual overide" pull this into position and to hold open using the catch.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

It could also be the zone valve actuator that has failed. Thermostats are fairly reliable. If you can locate the zone valve for the upstairs heating it will have an override lever on the side which can be used to open the valve, it should have an indent to click the lever into so the valve can be held open continuously.

The zone valves are most often in the hot press, and have an indicator light to show when they are powered up. When the light is on the valve should drive open. If you get someone to change the thermostat setting from max to min and back you should hear it switching and see the light on the zone valve going on and off. If it does the thermostat is fine, and the valve is not opening. The actuator motor is likely burnt out, it can be replaced fairly cheaply, or a new actuator fitted. Neither option requires draining the heating system. Hope this helps.

edit - beaten to it!

AS ABOVE:)

I would look for the zone valve the room stat is controlling and manually open it from the lever that should be sticking out of it.
    Normally this is a valve issue more than a room stat one and the heads can be replaced without much drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Wow - Thanks for all the replies guys -

The thermostat is clicking when I move it beyond the 18/20 mark but still no heat.

Unfortunately I am useless when it comes to these sort of jobs so I presume it is a plumber I need ?

Can anyone recommend someone in the Naas area?

Thanks again to everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

muletide wrote: »
    Wow - Thanks for all the replies guys -

The thermostat is clicking when I move it beyond the 18/20 mark but still no heat.

Unfortunately I am useless when it comes to these sort of jobs so I presume it is a plumber I need ?

Can anyone recommend someone in the Naas area?

Thanks again to everyone

I found onlinetradesman.com very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

If you want it fixed short term, post a pic of you're hotpress and we'll be able to tell you how to switch the valve to get some heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Advertisement