Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling from Midleton to Cork, suggested routes?

Options
  • 18-12-2010 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

I'm planning on cycling sometime from Waterford to Cork City. I'm not sure what route to take after Middleton. The dual carriageway seems a bit scary.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

You could take the back road from Midleton to Carrigtohill,( R626) it's a very quiet road. It's the Mill road leaving Midleton, It passes Midleton fire-station and the Railway station. After several miles You turn left, this brings you to Carrigtowhill. If you end up in Lisgoold, you forgot to turn left....

When you get to Carrigtohill, Take the road for Glouthaune on the small roundabout. This road runs parallel to the N25:) And eventually becomes the (R623) at Littleisland. This road goes most of the way to Cork.

At the end of this road(R623) Theres a Small roundabout. Don't take the left exit.
    Take the other exit Don't follow the signs for cork. Follow the signs for Glanmire
    You should pass the Ibis Hotel on your left....Continue up the steep hill passing under the bridge/flyover. This will level off, then a steep down hill, with the road curving to the left.
    Over the little Humpback bridge on the left and you are in Glanmire 6 Kilometres from Cork city.

Leaving Glanmire, follow the Road to the Dunkettle Roundabout.
    This last bit is a little tricky, 3 kilometres of the Tovoli Dual carrigeway.

Happy Cycling.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Dual carraigeway is ok actually as you are in hard shoulder nearly all the way. Hi--viz vest a good plan.

Scenic route Waterford-Dungarvan-Lismore-The Vee-Clogheen-Mitchelstown-KIldorrery-Rockmills-Ballyhooly-Carrignavaar-Cork.
    Lovely spin.

You'll sleep after that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 abbeyside1

Have done that run loads and the dual carrigeway is fine.I cycle on it loads and its safer than most single carriage roads,just be careful at the exit roads,and if you really don't like crossing them just go up one side and down the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would go via Dungarvan and Lismore and not go near Midleton at all. It isn't significantly longer at all (120km via Lismore vs 116km on the N25.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Is Midleton to Cork not a Motorway, so................no bikes. You should do (part of) the SeanKellyTour route, ie. Waterford>Tramore>Annestown>Bunmahon>Stradbally>Dungarvan. This route has some lovely 'sharp' climbs, and it has some lovely views aswell ;)
    An option from Midleton might be the back road to Barryscourt and then to Cobh, then take the ferry to Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

FWIW, when I'm cycling in from Midleton on my own, I tend to take the route I've linked below. It does involve negotiating the signal-controlled roundabout at the entrance to the Jack Lynch Tunnel but this is fine so long as you keep your wits about you.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/26249772

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭cantalach

Is Midleton to Cork not a Motorway, so................no bikes.

No, it is not a motorway. The section of it from Carrigtwohill to the Jack Lynch Tunnel was built to motorway standard (what the NRA call a 'HQDC') and has had a 120km/h speed limit since mid-2009. But it was not reclassified as a motorway and there are no restrictions on vehicle types. The higher speeds do, however, make it a lot less pleasant for cyclists which is why I tend to avoid it.

Advertisement