Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

master farrier wanted to take on apprentice in Kildare

Options
  • 18-12-2010 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

My teenage son is seeking a master farrier in Kildare who would be willing to take him on as an apprentice in order for him to enter the farriers course in RACE. He is hard working and enthusastic and has a lot of experience working with horses and ponies...

If anyone out there can help we would appreciate it if you could contact us

Thanks a lot guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

in the same boat myself, except I AM the teenage sone.
    only way is to send application letters to every farrier in kildare, addresses can be found here.
    I rang loads of farriers, they all either said they didnt have the business to pay an apprentice, most others said send on a letter when your ready (Im waiting to finish my leaving cert).
    one guy told me a lads parents rang him for their son, he said this is a big no-no. refused him straight away just for that.
    hope this helps.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 darish

Thanks a lot for your reply...yeh its tough everywhere I think...no I wont be calling for him...I told him I would put up this add to help him...good luck and hope something turns up for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

s-cogan wrote: »
    in the same boat myself, except I AM the teenage sone.
    only way is to send application letters to every farrier in kildare, addresses can be found here.
    I rang loads of farriers, they all either said they didnt have the business to pay an apprentice, most others said send on a letter when your ready (Im waiting to finish my leaving cert).
    one guy told me a lads parents rang him for their son, he said this is a big no-no. refused him straight away just for that.
    hope this helps.:D

you may be able to get fas to pay your wages while you work at a farriers workshop and serve your time. i know they do this for other trades to get lads of the live register. contac fas and ask them out it.

darish wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for your reply...yeh its tough everywhere I think...no I wont be calling for him...I told him I would put up this add to help him...good luck and hope something turns up for you :)

sound

you may be able to get fas to pay your wages while you work at a farriers workshop and serve your time. i know they do this for other trades to get lads of the live register. contac fas and ask them out it.

i dont think so, i saw somewhere that pay, hours and accomodation all have to be arranged by the apprentice with the master farrier.
    not certain, about that though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 darish

yes you are right s.cogan...he called FAS and they told him that he had to source a master who was willing to take him on, before he was accepted on the course...but nobody seems to be hiring...:(

im sure he'll find someone, ive had a few people say theyll take me on, only to get back to them when ive the leaving done, but nothing definite. at this stage, if i get a definite yes, ill prob leave school, and drive on with the apprenticeship.

OP, i dont suppose you posted the ad in the irish field looking for a master farrier??

just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭kildareman09

im also thinking of becoming a farrier as it is in my family and from what my uncle was telling me they dont know if the farrier school in the curragh is going to be kept open

its going to be kept open, as fas have returned the funding to the race academy. the only concern was if the race academy closed as a result of complaints, and the irish school of farriery was on the campus

• Advertisement

where did it hear that its defintly staying open are you currently in 6th year??

ya im in 6th year why??
    i cant remember were i heard, tbh, sorry

ah ryt nah im in same position meself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

ya im in 6th year why??
    i cant remember were i heard, tbh, sorry

Was in all the papers,definitely being kept open after it was looking like closing.

that was just the jockey school in the Racing Academy Centre of Education. afaik, the Irish School of Farriery wasn't in danger.

it was in danger as fas is such a mess and they run it

if i have to say this again im gona scream!!
    the IFS was safe all along, it was the RACE college itself in danger of closure, due to complaints of bullying made against one of the instructors.

eh it actually was in danger??

RACE was. IFS, not so much.

has anyone secured apprenticeship yet

• Advertisement

sent off more letters and cv's last week still no reply.
    have you had any joy??

you might need to go outside of kildare with the applications ehm yeh im 90% sure that ive secured one my uncle knows the guy

i havent tried kildare yet, tried all of munster,(im from cork) but no avail.
    next stop, kildare, meath, and carlow. mates mom knows one in kildare so, fingers crossed.

ah ryt i have uncle in cork who is farrier but he already has an apprentice as far as i know oh i thought you were from kildare

i've prob rang your uncle already. just out of curiosity, who is he.??PM

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Has any of you guys got out and about to meet a few masters ,There is a farrier competition in limerick next month and another big one in clonmel in a few months time.
    Why not go down and have a luck and see if it is really what you do and if yes go and meet a few masters .
    I have being down the same road as you guys looking and they are not that hard to approche .

yeah, stickshooter, thats the plan anyway.
    didnt know about the ones in limerick and clonmel, but theirs one at the cork summer show at the showgrounds that i'm gonna head along to.
    hopefully should find someone that can take me on as i'd love to get one secured. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

yeah, stickshooter, thats the plan anyway.
    didnt know about the ones in limerick and clonmel, but theirs one at the cork summer show at the showgrounds that i'm gonna head along to.
    hopefully should find someone that can take me on as i'd love to get one secured. Fingers crossed.

Well if you want i can give you a few names to ask for down there that might be able to help you .Just pm me if you want .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eddiefarrier

sry i cant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eddiefarrier

well lads the farrier compo is on 30th this month dare is goin to be alot off masters thare but alot hav apprentaces i work for the man who is running it. my uncle also runs 1 in clonmel but thare the same farriers who will be at it exept the lads from england thare also one at my dads house in july 9th in kildare need any help talk back

Advertisement