Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fightin'

Options
  • 18-12-2010 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

What are the opinions of the fine citizens of AH on the subject of fighting? Is it a reasonable way to settle a dispute in a civilised society, or should all problems be solvable through aristocratic debating and rhetoric?

Poll is given to gauge the average number of times people have been involved in the trading of blows.

How many times have you been in a fight? 133 votes

0% 0 votes
    1 - 5
    21% 28 votes
    5 - 10
    54% 72 votes
    10 - 20
    17% 23 votes
    20+
    7% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I win all debates by hitting people over the head with my keyboard.

I am a keyboard warrior IRL.

FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Excluding my brother, probably between 10 and 15. Including him, we do fight hard, probably around 50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Tis stupid and its always scummers who start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the last 'fight' i waas in was in secondary school over a can of coke. me and the other bloke became very good mates after it

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

It gives a rush of testosterone and adrenalin, which leaves a feeling that's quiet nice, considering of course your not seriously hurt. But these days it's too dangerous.

There are clubs that train you to fight and that's where it should be kept from now on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Something something something, im a real tough guy but i hate fightin something something something.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

I let my Yahtzee play do the talking when it comes to disputes with others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭hairy sailor

I only fight when people don't respect my Authorotay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Are you startin' on me!?!!?!?:mad:

never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Ruu wrote: »
    Are you startin' on me!?!!?!?:mad:

For a moment I read your name a RYU and I instantly shat bricks, nobody needs to be hadookened at 4 in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

sadly many only learn by getting their heads kicked in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

2 between the ages of 0 and 10, none afterwards

might have something to do with the fact that i was 6 foot tall as a 12 year old tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

None tonight, but probably hundreds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

once, not proud of it but at least i won, yaaay!!! and he deserved it.

bit punched in the face for no reason twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

but probably hundreds.

Ah so you are getting the weekly average under control then?

None tonight,

Unfortunately the lies have started again.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭halpin17

It's gives you an insane burst of testorone,adrenaline and anger combined into one super high.after you've been hit once in the face as frodo said in green street you realise your not made of glass.bruises,cuts and bones will all heal.as long as the fights fair- kicking to the head while the other person is on the floor is a you've crossed the line moment,along with a knockout or them telling you stop.but should prob be kept in a cage due to legal implications and serious injury threats eg Brain hemorrhaging or death

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

1/2 -when I was a kid, always was a tomboy.

Never got into fights or trouble but when I was about 10 I was in a lane on me own on me bike.

This ginger kid younger than me started on me. I was totally thrown. I couldn't obviously hit a kid, I reckon he was maybe 8 or maybe my age but looked younger.

So I kept tellin him to fook off, and takin a few smacks off him but I just couldnt hit him back. I was for some bizarre reason too polite to smack the head off him 'cos I knew I'd easily batter him. But I just shouted at him and he fooked off. I don't really know why I didn't pwn him right there!? Too embarassed at the time I think! Wish I had now.

That's all I got :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ah so you are getting the weekly average under control then?

Unfortunately the lies have started again.

Door work for close on 20 yrs. Martial Arts for longer, sorry to burst your bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rhamiel

Was actually thinkin bout this lately as I think I've lost count which is slightly worrying :confused: 5 or 6 serious enough ones anyway.. A & E jobs like. I know plenty of people who've never been in one in their lives and prob wont be. Would be great if all matters could be civilised but there is a lot of ignorant gombeens out there and although I never go starting anything I unfortunately have trouble walking away from any sort of confrontation :eek:

... as has been said though it is a bit of a rush, primal fighting instinct in all of us ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭davrho

I have had 36 fights and 36 beatings.

Nobody will fight me now. I am due a win........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Rhamiel wrote: »
    ... as has been said though it is a bit of a rush, primal fighting instinct in all of us ;)

there definitely is, and speaking as someone whos not been in a fight in his adult life, i honestly think its healthier to blow off some steam with a few digs every now and again than it is to constantly walk away

my fear is that the day i start punching someone i just wont stop, coz ill hae my entire adult life worth of walking away and deciding its not worth it pouring out in one go

which probably isnt ideal

although since ive not been in a proper fight, id only get the crap kicked out of me anyway so that probably balances it out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Im 27 - and as the above poster said Im really worried that if it does ever come to it I will Kill the other person stone dead - I have taken a good few hidings and never retaliated - I was always afraid growing up that if me and my aul fella (not that we totally despise eachother but we worked together in a family business and have not always seen eye to eye) went to blows we'd just not stop.

I think that because I was taught never to fight and if it ever came up in conversation my father would always say "just walk away" And I did - not very helpful when someones pucking the back of the head off ya but I always walked away.

I really should get into MA or something. People need release.

On the other hand nowadays its just way too dangerous - I have been glassed before and the guy tried to stab me with what glass he had left in his hand.

With Knives and everthing theres alot to be said for sprinting as fast as you can - and every young fella in the country is training for UFC, I think half the scumbags in the country would not really care if they killed you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Had a fair few serious fights. Its a load of ****e and can ruin good friendships.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Dueling is the only solution!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have a Jesus like affect on people so I never get in fights and the people around me become pleased and welcoming in my presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

ScumLord wrote: »
    I have a Jesus like affect on people so I never get in fights and the people around me become pleased and welcoming in my presence.

Then some fella nails you to a cross.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I grew up with 4 older brothers in a rough enough part of Athlone. Went to primary school in a rough part of town and then in secondary school we had a mix of muck savages from south roscommon and scumbags from one of the roughest parts of town in with all the normal people. From the age of 8 to 18 (2nd class - 6th year) I'd have a few god****es a year start on me Because until second year I was about a head taller than most in my year and a big kid. And then after that I guess some people just hold grudges.
    But growing up with 4 older brothers meant I was well able to take a dig and dish it out too. Have been in a few fights since but not in the last few years, I avoid gob****es and don't tend to interact with drunk people a lot these days. Fighting is ok when you're a kid and you can do no damage to each other but I hit a lad who was screaming at my little sister and her 2 friends, abusing them into the ground about 3 years ago near AIT and I thought I'd killed him when I stopped hitting him... He was grand in the end but it scared me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I was in dozens of fights as a kid and teen. Only 3 as an adult.
    I never started any of the fights though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Ive been in a few, rarely throw the fist dig, never lost either.

Advertisement